Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Camping at Lebanon?

Camping at Lebanon?

Has anyone scoped out the camping or RV areas at the 2019 Wilson Co Fairgrounds rally site?
    Any comments on grass or shade trees or maybe the number of RV sites? Will this be a good site for campers or should we look for off-site accommodations?
    -Don't cry because it's over-
    -Smile because it happened-

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Well I am hoping for better conditions than the interment or POW camps in the other Lebanon.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

There are hundreds of RV sites all with electricity and water. None have sewer connections, but pump out service will be available. There are more RV sites than we need and it looks to be a very favorable setup for us. Details and RV registration should be online Feb 1.

There is also a ton of grass area and plenty of room for tents. Shade trees area a little harder to come by, but there are some shady areas along the tree lines. The trees tend to be farther away from “rally central,” but shade is available.

The fairground is very spacious. I don’t think you will need to look anywhere else for camping.
    Ted Moyer
    '12 DL650, '06 R1200RT, '78 R100RS Motosport, '72 XL250, '83 RZ350, '94 KLX650, '80 GS850G

Thank you Ted,

Google maps and the Wilson Fairgrounds website didn't provide much detail on camping/RV accommodations. Nice to know there is plenty of space.
    -Don't cry because it's over-
    -Smile because it happened-

Thanks Ted - we have reservations at the KOA just down the road from the Ag Center because their website didn't offer much info. That KOA is already filling up. I'll wait to make final plans once registration opens up. Hopefully they will have more camping information available.
    Marc Kitts
    2010 R1200RT

Virtually no shade what so ever at the Fairgrounds. Depending on the weather, some of you Yankees might find sleeping in 80 deg nights a bit of a challenge. Just for fun, we throw in 80% humidity too..........

Cedars of Lebanon is where *I* would go to camp. Lots of shade, quiet campground. Not too far from the Fairgrounds.

My .o2

Quote Originally Posted by bobsguns View Post
    Cedars of Lebanon is where *I* would go to camp. Lots of shade, quiet campground. Not too far from the Fairgrounds.

My .o2
    Looks like a nice place and only 10 miles from the fairgrounds.
    The park has 9 cabins.
    https://tnstateparks.com/parks/cedars-of-lebanon

Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I thought it looked good too. I have one of the cabins rented for the time of the Rally.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”

Pretty good information already in the above thread (Thank you Ted!). As mentioned there is a lot of grass and as is the case with most fairgrounds some shade. The earlier arrivals will always get that. My experience is that some like to be close, some like to be far away and some even like to be down the road. This site offers all of those options. Cedars of Lebanon is a state park and of course the KOA and others are not far away if you don't mind riding back and forth to the rally. For those that prefer to stay on site (like me) there will be plenty of options for both tents and RV's.

As previously mentioned there are over 100 RV connections on the fairgrounds (yep, that should do it!). We will start with an area that includes about 250 sites in a location that will be the most convenient to rally central. In the event that we need more space we can work out from there. Included in those initial 250 sites there are both 30 & 50 amp connections. Shade? Honestly not much in the RV area, again open fairgrounds by design do not have a lot of trees.

For the tent campers there will be at least two main areas defined. Those areas have a number of trees but again these are large open areas of nice grass with some mature trees along the edges for the most part. There will be other areas available around the fairground (only a small number of off limit areas) and if what usually happens happens again, attendees will find their perfect spot to call home!

I hope this helps answer some questions. I will try to get some photos on my next visit there and post some here. I am confident that whether you are a hotel, motel, RV or tent camper this site will accommodate you. In any case, make your plans now to be at the Scoot, Bootn' Boogie!
    Vance Harrelson
    2019 Rally Chair
    MOA Foundation Director / Ambassador
    R1200GSA "Buck" / G310GS "Tiny"

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    My suggestion for campers is to bring a tarp to provide partial or whole, shade for your tent. I use an MSR Parawing that covers my entire 2 man tent from rain or shine... YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by bobsguns View Post
    Virtually no shade what so ever at the Fairgrounds. Depending on the weather, some of you Yankees might find sleeping in 80 deg nights a bit of a challenge. Just for fun, we throw in 80% humidity too..........

My .o2
    Thanks for the tip...RV reservation made at Cedars.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    Thanks for the tip...RV reservation made at Cedars.
    As a bonus, Cedars seems to have a nice pool too.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”

Camping

My 2 cents ( if markets keep dropping might be 1 cent ) for me staying off site I would feel like I was missing over 1/2 of the rally. Due to some physical limitations it’s much less painful if I walkabout, look and socialize in short bursts with sitting and possible napping time in between. Many of the activities are in evening or after dark which means ride after dark or skip stuff. Tennessee State Parks are very nice and I am sure Cedars is also. The map posted by Lee shows park 10 miles away with 17 minute drive. Tennessee seems to me to have lots of speed zones designed to collect revenue, a state park 10 miles from town, I would drive carefully and watch for speed limit changes at the bottom of hills, after curves etc.
    Last tent camping is free on the fairgrounds I can take the money I save and buy ice to keep stuff cold!

Quote Originally Posted by alabeemer View Post
    Pretty good information already in the above thread (Thank you Ted!). As mentioned there is a lot of grass and as is the case with most fairgrounds some shade. The earlier arrivals will always get that. My experience is that some like to be close, some like to be far away and some even like to be down the road. This site offers all of those options. Cedars of Lebanon is a state park and of course the KOA and others are not far away if you don't mind riding back and forth to the rally. For those that prefer to stay on site (like me) there will be plenty of options for both tents and RV's.

As previously mentioned there are over 100 RV connections on the fairgrounds (yep, that should do it!). We will start with an area that includes about 250 sites in a location that will be the most convenient to rally central. In the event that we need more space we can work out from there. Included in those initial 250 sites there are both 30 & 50 amp connections. Shade? Honestly not much in the RV area, again open fairgrounds by design do not have a lot of trees.

For the tent campers there will be at least two main areas defined. Those areas have a number of trees but again these are large open areas of nice grass with some mature trees along the edges for the most part. There will be other areas available around the fairground (only a small number of off limit areas) and if what usually happens happens again, attendees will find their perfect spot to call home!

I hope this helps answer some questions. I will try to get some photos on my next visit there and post some here. I am confident that whether you are a hotel, motel, RV or tent camper this site will accommodate you. In any case, make your plans now to be at the Scoot, Bootn' Boogie!

Vance - Thanks for all the info on camping. Do you know if the fairgrounds allow K9s in the Camping area ? We would consider changing to onsite if me wife can have the doggies with us.
    Marc Kitts
    2010 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    My suggestion for campers is to bring a tarp to provide partial or whole, shade for your tent. I use an MSR Parawing that covers my entire 2 man tent from rain or shine... YMMV
    Be sure to use glow-in-the-dark guy lines if camping near to others.