Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 02 R1150RS braided brake line set

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Bunbury WA Australia
    Posts
    77

    02 R1150RS braided brake line set

    Hi Guys
    Does anyone *know* of a complete 5 hose kit that fits this model?

    I have googled until my eyes bled and emailed all the big guns I can think of....Revzilla, Ted Porter, Motorworks, Hornig,Ebay, Munich Motorcycles(Perth WA ), Spiegler....

    The only lead I have is from Spiegler themselve who can make a custom set. Thats doable but I want to exhaust all other avenues first.

    I can't believe its this hard....lol Are 02 R1150RS's the ugly step sisters of the BMW world?...lol

    I've found one for the 03-05 R1150RS, but they say it isn't compatible with mine...something must have changed in 03?

    I would have thought that the R1150RS set would be identical to a R1150R ( same handle bars?...I don't know ) but no-one's going there.

    Steve

  2. #2
    Registered User tangoalpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    CA Central Coast
    Posts
    226

    02 R1150RS braided brake line set

    Have you tried Galfer?

    I recently installed a set of Speigler for my ‘02 R1150RT. Very high quality and in my opinion, a very good value for the money.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Der Bimmer ist wunderbar."

    Tango Alpha
    2002 R1150RT

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Bunbury WA Australia
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoalpha View Post
    Have you tried Galfer?

    I recently installed a set of Speigler for my ‘02 R1150RT. Very high quality and in my opinion, a very good value for the money.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hadn't but I just looked....Didn't see anything but have asked the question...thanks for the Heads Up....

    Every man and his dog make a set for the RT!.....The RS is a different thing...lol

    Steve

  4. #4
    Gerard jagarra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    342
    I went to the Spiegler site and it seems they don't list one for the 02 R1150RS model. Now they do list one for the 03-04 models so there must be a difference between those years.
    Still, I would call their customer service or tech folks and get some information. You may have pull a unique line to have it copied for your model/year.
    They are the best supplier of motorcycle brake lines as far as I am concerned, run them on all my bikes.
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Honda XL600R

  5. #5
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    2,811
    Call Spiegler.
    They will take care of you.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

  6. #6
    Bob's BMW in MD carries a set.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Bunbury WA Australia
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by required View Post
    Bob's BMW in MD carries a set.
    I am in discussions with Mattias at Speigler at the moment.

    I did see these lines at Bob's and was going ask if they worked ok on bikes without Bar Bax, and forgot. doh
    Have done that now.....

    No word from Galfer yet....

    Motorworks say they DON'T carry any but I asked them to re-check as, they have a listing on the R1150RS page....typo?..we will see.
    Thanks guys. I'm getting there....

    Steve

  8. #8
    Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,862
    I wouldn't bother with any other lines other than Spiegler. The reason is that the Spiegler lines have adjustable banjo fittings and Galfers do not. Sometimes the new lines do not fit perfectly and being able to tweak the banjo fittings so that the lines fit stress free makes for a better installation and longer life.

    I had a Galfer line that was never made properly for it's location come loose on me during a long trip. This was due to the stress created by a banjo bolt that was off kilter and not tightened quite enough so vibration coupled with the pressure from not being fitted properly made it come loose and brake fluid dripped on my frame and everything below. Fortunately the leak was slow and my brakes went mushy slowly but it could have been worse. Since then, I stick with Spiegler and nothing else interests me.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

  9. #9
    Registered User Blacque Jacque Shellacque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by jagarra View Post
    I went to the Spiegler site and it seems they don't list one for the 02 R1150RS model. Now they do list one for the 03-04 models so there must be a difference between those years.
    Still, I would call their customer service or tech folks and get some information. You may have pull a unique line to have it copied for your model/year.
    They are the best supplier of motorcycle brake lines as far as I am concerned, run them on all my bikes.

    The BMW parts fiche lists only one set of part numbers from 01 to 04. I ordered a set from Spiegler years ago for my 02, R1150RS, they didn't ask me for any measurements. They knew what I needed. At my request they lengthened the line to the master cylinder an additional 2 inches just to be safe as I was installing bar backs. I do not recall any extra charge to do so. I also have to agree that the adjustable banjo fittings make these the finest choice.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Bunbury WA Australia
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    I wouldn't bother with any other lines other than Spiegler. The reason is that the Spiegler lines have adjustable banjo fittings and Galfers do not. Sometimes the new lines do not fit perfectly and being able to tweak the banjo fittings so that the lines fit stress free makes for a better installation and longer life.

    I had a Galfer line that was never made properly for it's location come loose on me during a long trip. This was due to the stress created by a banjo bolt that was off kilter and not tightened quite enough so vibration coupled with the pressure from not being fitted properly made it come loose and brake fluid dripped on my frame and everything below. Fortunately the leak was slow and my brakes went mushy slowly but it could have been worse. Since then, I stick with Spiegler and nothing else interests me.
    Yes, I have settled on Spiegler. I can see the advantage of being able to rotate the fittings to remove any twist in the lines. A great featue. Galfers have not replied anyway....
    Hopefully they will on their way soon....
    Steve

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Bunbury WA Australia
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacque Jacque Shellacque View Post
    The BMW parts fiche lists only one set of part numbers from 01 to 04. I ordered a set from Spiegler years ago for my 02, R1150RS, they didn't ask me for any measurements. They knew what I needed. At my request they lengthened the line to the master cylinder an additional 2 inches just to be safe as I was installing bar backs. I do not recall any extra charge to do so. I also have to agree that the adjustable banjo fittings make these the finest choice.
    Yes, I couldn't understand why there was a percieved difference between 00-02 and 03-05 R1150RS's brake lines, but I didn't know for sure.

    Did you remove your ABS? I am, so that may explain the more carefull checking we have done.
    If you did, what fitting did you use for the rear master cylinder? Its at a 45° from level so is a bit awkward.
    Steve
    Rear MC connection.jpg

  12. #12
    Registered User Blacque Jacque Shellacque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by sterob View Post
    Yes, I couldn't understand why there was a percieved difference between 00-02 and 03-05 R1150RS's brake lines, but I didn't know for sure.

    Did you remove your ABS? I am, so that may explain the more carefull checking we have done.
    If you did, what fitting did you use for the rear master cylinder? Its at a 45° from level so is a bit awkward.
    Steve
    Rear MC connection.jpg
    The iABS failed in 2009 and I replaced it. It has been working fine since. Maybe you could send Speigler some photos of the Master cylinder to the caliper and explain what you require it terms of the angle for the banjo bolt? I am certain they will accommodate what you need to get a proper fit.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Bunbury WA Australia
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacque Jacque Shellacque View Post
    The iABS failed in 2009 and I replaced it. It has been working fine since. Maybe you could send Speigler some photos of the Master cylinder to the caliper and explain what you require it terms of the angle for the banjo bolt? I am certain they will accommodate what you need to get a proper fit.
    Been seending lots of photos...lol
    We'll see how it goes.

Similar Threads

  1. 99 k12rs- braided brake lines
    By ducster in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2016, 04:38 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-07-2015, 02:29 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-24-2013, 04:58 PM
  4. Braided SS Brake lines -
    By Beemer01 in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 01:54 PM
  5. Braided SS-Brake Lines
    By PacWestGS in forum Campfire
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-22-2006, 02:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •