• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

02 R1150RS braided brake line set

sterob

Hi Guys
Does anyone *know* of a complete 5 hose kit that fits this model?

I have googled until my eyes bled and emailed all the big guns I can think of....Revzilla, Ted Porter, Motorworks, Hornig,Ebay, Munich Motorcycles(Perth WA ), Spiegler....

The only lead I have is from Spiegler themselve who can make a custom set. Thats doable but I want to exhaust all other avenues first.

I can't believe its this hard....lol Are 02 R1150RS's the ugly step sisters of the BMW world?...lol

I've found one for the 03-05 R1150RS, but they say it isn't compatible with mine...something must have changed in 03?

I would have thought that the R1150RS set would be identical to a R1150R ( same handle bars?...I don't know ) but no-one's going there.

Steve

Have you tried Galfer?

I recently installed a set of Speigler for my ‘02 R1150RT. Very high quality and in my opinion, a very good value for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried Galfer?

I recently installed a set of Speigler for my ‘02 R1150RT. Very high quality and in my opinion, a very good value for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadn't but I just looked....Didn't see anything but have asked the question...thanks for the Heads Up....

Every man and his dog make a set for the RT!.....The RS is a different thing...lol

Steve

I went to the Spiegler site and it seems they don't list one for the 02 R1150RS model. Now they do list one for the 03-04 models so there must be a difference between those years.
Still, I would call their customer service or tech folks and get some information. You may have pull a unique line to have it copied for your model/year.
They are the best supplier of motorcycle brake lines as far as I am concerned, run them on all my bikes.

Bob's BMW in MD carries a set.

I am in discussions with Mattias at Speigler at the moment.

I did see these lines at Bob's and was going ask if they worked ok on bikes without Bar Bax, and forgot. doh
Have done that now.....

No word from Galfer yet....

Motorworks say they DON'T carry any but I asked them to re-check as, they have a listing on the R1150RS page....typo?..we will see.
Thanks guys. I'm getting there....

Steve

I wouldn't bother with any other lines other than Spiegler. The reason is that the Spiegler lines have adjustable banjo fittings and Galfers do not. Sometimes the new lines do not fit perfectly and being able to tweak the banjo fittings so that the lines fit stress free makes for a better installation and longer life.

I had a Galfer line that was never made properly for it's location come loose on me during a long trip. This was due to the stress created by a banjo bolt that was off kilter and not tightened quite enough so vibration coupled with the pressure from not being fitted properly made it come loose and brake fluid dripped on my frame and everything below. Fortunately the leak was slow and my brakes went mushy slowly but it could have been worse. Since then, I stick with Spiegler and nothing else interests me.

I went to the Spiegler site and it seems they don't list one for the 02 R1150RS model. Now they do list one for the 03-04 models so there must be a difference between those years.
Still, I would call their customer service or tech folks and get some information. You may have pull a unique line to have it copied for your model/year.
They are the best supplier of motorcycle brake lines as far as I am concerned, run them on all my bikes.

The BMW parts fiche lists only one set of part numbers from 01 to 04. I ordered a set from Spiegler years ago for my 02, R1150RS, they didn't ask me for any measurements. They knew what I needed. At my request they lengthened the line to the master cylinder an additional 2 inches just to be safe as I was installing bar backs. I do not recall any extra charge to do so. I also have to agree that the adjustable banjo fittings make these the finest choice.

I wouldn't bother with any other lines other than Spiegler. The reason is that the Spiegler lines have adjustable banjo fittings and Galfers do not. Sometimes the new lines do not fit perfectly and being able to tweak the banjo fittings so that the lines fit stress free makes for a better installation and longer life.

I had a Galfer line that was never made properly for it's location come loose on me during a long trip. This was due to the stress created by a banjo bolt that was off kilter and not tightened quite enough so vibration coupled with the pressure from not being fitted properly made it come loose and brake fluid dripped on my frame and everything below. Fortunately the leak was slow and my brakes went mushy slowly but it could have been worse. Since then, I stick with Spiegler and nothing else interests me.

Yes, I have settled on Spiegler. I can see the advantage of being able to rotate the fittings to remove any twist in the lines. A great featue. Galfers have not replied anyway....
Hopefully they will on their way soon....
Steve

The BMW parts fiche lists only one set of part numbers from 01 to 04. I ordered a set from Spiegler years ago for my 02, R1150RS, they didn't ask me for any measurements. They knew what I needed. At my request they lengthened the line to the master cylinder an additional 2 inches just to be safe as I was installing bar backs. I do not recall any extra charge to do so. I also have to agree that the adjustable banjo fittings make these the finest choice.

Yes, I couldn't understand why there was a percieved difference between 00-02 and 03-05 R1150RS's brake lines, but I didn't know for sure.

Did you remove your ABS? I am, so that may explain the more carefull checking we have done.
If you did, what fitting did you use for the rear master cylinder? Its at a 45° from level so is a bit awkward.
Steve
Rear MC connection.jpg

Yes, I couldn't understand why there was a percieved difference between 00-02 and 03-05 R1150RS's brake lines, but I didn't know for sure.

Did you remove your ABS? I am, so that may explain the more carefull checking we have done.
If you did, what fitting did you use for the rear master cylinder? Its at a 45° from level so is a bit awkward.
Steve
View attachment 71644

The iABS failed in 2009 and I replaced it. It has been working fine since. Maybe you could send Speigler some photos of the Master cylinder to the caliper and explain what you require it terms of the angle for the banjo bolt? I am certain they will accommodate what you need to get a proper fit.

The iABS failed in 2009 and I replaced it. It has been working fine since. Maybe you could send Speigler some photos of the Master cylinder to the caliper and explain what you require it terms of the angle for the banjo bolt? I am certain they will accommodate what you need to get a proper fit.

Been seending lots of photos...lol
We'll see how it goes.

Back