• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

09 R1200 RT Fuel Guage LIES!!!!!

willhawks

Was out for a ride on my 09 RT. The gas gauge said I had 1/4 of a tank and a range of 111 miles. RAN OUT OF GAS!!!! Don't know if this is a common issue or unique to my bike

Was out for a ride on my 09 RT. The gas gauge said I had 1/4 of a tank and a range of 111 miles. RAN OUT OF GAS!!!! Don't know if this is a common issue or unique to my bike

Very common issue I believe. I think that model has the infamous "fuel strip" sensor known to be unreliable. Do a Google search on BMW fuel strip.

I’m surprised that they are as accurate as they are. :dunno
Just fill the tank, set the trip odometer, ride until you are 3/4 empty, (you can use 45 mpg as a reference if you want), note the distance, look for gas.
OM

BMW's owners manual says that you shouldn't rely on the fuel gauge. I guess they are there for entertainment purposes only.

My 07 GT told me I was out of gas for 18-19 miles when I found gas one night. Fill up took 5.3 gallons and the tank is 6.3. I had another 45 miles on the tank when I was supposedly out for some time.

My 2012 GS gauge runs on the side of caution as well. Telling me I've got 40-45 miles left [ 1 gallon ] when I actually have about 1.8 gallons left at fill ups.

I use my trip meter for gas fills, not the gauges on the bikes

Gotta test it.

Put a small gas can on the luggage rack and then run it down to zero on a not busy road. Gotta be careful to not run out of gas in traffic or the experiment could end badly. Then you know what you have. I have put in over 6 gallons several times when I run it down low to like 25 miles left. I don't think twice about doing that around my home where I know that gas is available and now that I trust the readout.

Mine goes down to zero miles left and still has a little gas left, so I know it's pretty accurate. Probably the most accurate of any car or bike I have ever owned.

Put a small gas can on the luggage rack and then run it down to zero on a not busy road. Gotta be careful to not run out of gas in traffic or the experiment could end badly. Then you know what you have. I have put in over 6 gallons several times when I run it down low to like 25 miles left. I don't think twice about doing that around my home where I know that gas is available and now that I trust the readout.

Mine goes down to zero miles left and still has a little gas left, so I know it's pretty accurate. Probably the most accurate of any car or bike I have ever owned.

Bill,

this thread is about the VERY problematic fuel strip that was used until August 2010...your RT as well as mine have the fuel float which, i agree, is VERY accurate (at least in what appears to be in our case)...i run my RT down to quite low, once to below zero and have even filled the tank with 6.7 US gallons...guess i really was on fumes...

sure am glad i am not a member of the 12year fuel strip warranty club...:banghead

wyman

I have a 2010 RT and am on my third fuel strip in 35000 miles. All replaced under warranty and the last one just about 1000 miles ago. I ran out of gas on the second strip with 50 miles range showing. Miraculously I coasted into a gas station and added over 6 gallons. I haven't tested the third strip and just never go more than 250 miles. Range to dry tank should be right at 300 miles. Just remember to reset the trip meter! Even that can be a problem since it's hard to read if the sun isn't at the right angle. You can't go without replacing the strip because if it shows empty when it breaks the dang master warning light stays on.

Back