Thread: 09 R1200 RT Fuel Guage LIES!!!!!

09 R1200 RT Fuel Guage LIES!!!!!

Was out for a ride on my 09 RT. The gas gauge said I had 1/4 of a tank and a range of 111 miles. RAN OUT OF GAS!!!! Don't know if this is a common issue or unique to my bike

There's a thread about an '07 RT gauge issue in the Similar Threads pane below. Some info while waiting for others to chime in.

Then there are these related threads:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...lem-06-R1200RT

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...el-Gauge-Strip
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by will3hawks View Post
    Was out for a ride on my 09 RT. The gas gauge said I had 1/4 of a tank and a range of 111 miles. RAN OUT OF GAS!!!! Don't know if this is a common issue or unique to my bike
    Very common issue I believe. I think that model has the infamous "fuel strip" sensor known to be unreliable. Do a Google search on BMW fuel strip.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    If this is your first issue with the fuel strip you are blessed. There will be more.
    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...ght=fuel+strip

Yup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Iím surprised that they are as accurate as they are.
    Just fill the tank, set the trip odometer, ride until you are 3/4 empty, (you can use 45 mpg as a reference if you want), note the distance, look for gas.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by will3hawks View Post
    Don't know if this is a common issue or unique to my bike
    BMW will warranty your fuel strip for 12 years after the bike went into service.
    Take it to a dealer, it should be a free repair.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

BMW's owners manual says that you shouldn't rely on the fuel gauge. I guess they are there for entertainment purposes only.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

My 07 GT told me I was out of gas for 18-19 miles when I found gas one night. Fill up took 5.3 gallons and the tank is 6.3. I had another 45 miles on the tank when I was supposedly out for some time.

My 2012 GS gauge runs on the side of caution as well. Telling me I've got 40-45 miles left [ 1 gallon ] when I actually have about 1.8 gallons left at fill ups.

I use my trip meter for gas fills, not the gauges on the bikes
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post

I use my trip meter for gas fills, not the gauges on the bikes
    This.
    Sometimes you expect a call from BMW central telling you that you are low on fuel, but it dosens't arrive.

Gotta test it.

Put a small gas can on the luggage rack and then run it down to zero on a not busy road. Gotta be careful to not run out of gas in traffic or the experiment could end badly. Then you know what you have. I have put in over 6 gallons several times when I run it down low to like 25 miles left. I don't think twice about doing that around my home where I know that gas is available and now that I trust the readout.

Mine goes down to zero miles left and still has a little gas left, so I know it's pretty accurate. Probably the most accurate of any car or bike I have ever owned.
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT and some other older junk

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxthegreater View Post
    Put a small gas can on the luggage rack and then run it down to zero on a not busy road. Gotta be careful to not run out of gas in traffic or the experiment could end badly. Then you know what you have. I have put in over 6 gallons several times when I run it down low to like 25 miles left. I don't think twice about doing that around my home where I know that gas is available and now that I trust the readout.

Mine goes down to zero miles left and still has a little gas left, so I know it's pretty accurate. Probably the most accurate of any car or bike I have ever owned.
    Bill,

this thread is about the VERY problematic fuel strip that was used until August 2010...your RT as well as mine have the fuel float which, i agree, is VERY accurate (at least in what appears to be in our case)...i run my RT down to quite low, once to below zero and have even filled the tank with 6.7 US gallons...guess i really was on fumes...

sure am glad i am not a member of the 12year fuel strip warranty club...

wyman
    ~wyman~

2015 BMW S1000R - Duke - Black Storm Metallic
    2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

I have a 2010 RT and am on my third fuel strip in 35000 miles. All replaced under warranty and the last one just about 1000 miles ago. I ran out of gas on the second strip with 50 miles range showing. Miraculously I coasted into a gas station and added over 6 gallons. I haven't tested the third strip and just never go more than 250 miles. Range to dry tank should be right at 300 miles. Just remember to reset the trip meter! Even that can be a problem since it's hard to read if the sun isn't at the right angle. You can't go without replacing the strip because if it shows empty when it breaks the dang master warning light stays on.
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT,R1100GS,KLX250
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA