Thread: Camping tarp

Camping tarp

Doing things backassward but older not always wiser.
    I just purchased a 12 ft x 12 ft Kelty Noah’s tarp to make future campsites nicer, or for possible use with hammock
    So now I am asking what kind of tarps other people use, what size, shape etc?

Check out some of the threads in the Similar Thread pane at the bottom of the screen.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    I also have used the Kelty Noah tarp for years, however I prefer the Noah 9 size. The Noah 12 is a little large for me to handle single handed in even a slight breeze. A nice accessory that is very useful and is easy to transport. +1

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

I had a Kelty 12’ tarp set up at the Billings BMWMOA Rally. A wind gust bent one of the poles. Fortunately REI replaced the pole. While I enjoyed the shade, I ended up switching to a Redverz tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Fastman
    '86 R65, '96 R1100RS, '04 K1200RS, '13 K1300S 30th Anniversary - SOLD
    '16 R1200GSA
    The most notable thing you can leave for posterity is your name...signed Anonymous

Tarp

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    I also have used the Kelty Noah tarp for years, however I prefer the Noah 9 size. The Noah 12 is a little large for me to handle single handed in even a slight breeze. A nice accessory that is very useful and is easy to transport. +1

Friedle
    I have never set up a tarp when camping, I have made use of ones others set up. The reason I purchased the 12 it was $50.73 the 9 was $44.73
    I have looked at the stuff on amazon and eBay that cost 1/2 as much, I have also looked at motorcycle tires on same two sites that cost way less than the known good brands but just can’t bring myself to try them.
    The down side I might decide the 9 is the right size and have 2 tarps of good quality and still less than a c note

My "camping tarp" is a large, Big Anges 4 person tent ground cloth I found in an outdoor store clearance box. It's waterproof, has several loops for hanging and packs up really small. Works great without the bulk and weight of an actual tarp and it will easily cover a picnic table with everyone sitting at it. I think I paid $19 for it.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

I too have the Noah 12, but will be in the market for a 9 instead. I use 2 Kelty's staff poles and 2 REI adjustable poles. I've added adjustable, reflective guylines to all of the optional tie-outs, and it's survived some good storms. Having a big tarp will attract current and future friends in a hurry.
    1995 BMW K75s - 100k and climbing!
    2007 BMW R1200RT - 62k
    2009 BMW G650GS - 22k and ready for Alaska!

Camping Tarp

Hi,
    If you're going to brave it in a tarp, the Hilleberg Tarp 5 works well for me. Below link...

http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/shelters/tarp/

I use a collapsible trekking pole, not the bike. In bad weather you can use the bike to guard the entrance, otherwise I like having a view. My sleeping bag goes in a waterproof bivy.

Jerry
    Best Regards,
    Jerry Trepanier
    Galesburg, MI
    2006 ST1300, 2010 R1200RT

Tarp

Quote Originally Posted by jerryab9rj View Post
    Hi,
    If you're going to brave it in a tarp, the Hilleberg Tarp 5 works well for me. Below link...

http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/shelters/tarp/

I use a collapsible trekking pole, not the bike. In bad weather you can use the bike to guard the entrance, otherwise I like having a view. My sleeping bag goes in a waterproof bivy.

Jerry
    Good setup videos thanks
    Will put their tarps and tents on wish ( wish I had more money so I could buy stuff like this ) list

I use a Moss Parawing, which is no longer made but probably the best at shedding wind and rain.

I am not certain, but it appears that MSR (another great gear company) either took over the design or copied it: https://www.backcountry.com/msr-rend...0-wing-shelter

You really do want something that stands up in windy conditions.

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

I have camped with a lightweight sleeping bag and a small tarp. One evening I was with a friend and he was equally equipped. As the sun went down the mosquitoes came out in force. We both had our tarps hanging between the bikes and tree and ended up pulling down the tarps and covering ourselves completely. Damn near cooked under that tarp as it was a warm night, but survived the 'skeeters. After that I use a light weight tent if I camp.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I have camped with a lightweight sleeping bag and a small tarp. One evening I was with a friend and he was equally equipped. As the sun went down the mosquitoes came out in force. We both had our tarps hanging between the bikes and tree and ended up pulling down the tarps and covering ourselves completely. Damn near cooked under that tarp as it was a warm night, but survived the 'skeeters. After that I use a light weight tent if I camp.
    Skeeters!
    You made me laugh reminding me of one of those nights with just my nose sticking out of my sleeping bag and having a multi bite nose at dawn.I was in a sauna.
    Yeah, kinda like being able to control the enemy in some locales and close most of them out.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    FWIW...I have as a permanent part of my camping kit one of the head nets. Works awesome, packs small, you can still see through it and it allows you to sit outside at camp regardless of the skeeter situation. Highly recommend.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031