• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Camping tarp

Doing things backassward but older not always wiser.
I just purchased a 12 ft x 12 ft Kelty Noah’s tarp to make future campsites nicer, or for possible use with hammock
So now I am asking what kind of tarps other people use, what size, shape etc?

Check out some of the threads in the Similar Thread pane at the bottom of the screen.

I also have used the Kelty Noah tarp for years, however I prefer the Noah 9 size. The Noah 12 is a little large for me to handle single handed in even a slight breeze. A nice accessory that is very useful and is easy to transport. +1

Friedle

I had a Kelty 12’ tarp set up at the Billings BMWMOA Rally. A wind gust bent one of the poles. Fortunately REI replaced the pole. While I enjoyed the shade, I ended up switching to a Redverz tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tarp

I also have used the Kelty Noah tarp for years, however I prefer the Noah 9 size. The Noah 12 is a little large for me to handle single handed in even a slight breeze. A nice accessory that is very useful and is easy to transport. +1

Friedle

I have never set up a tarp when camping, I have made use of ones others set up. The reason I purchased the 12 it was $50.73 the 9 was $44.73
I have looked at the stuff on amazon and eBay that cost 1/2 as much, I have also looked at motorcycle tires on same two sites that cost way less than the known good brands but just can’t bring myself to try them.
The down side I might decide the 9 is the right size and have 2 tarps of good quality and still less than a c note

My "camping tarp" is a large, Big Anges 4 person tent ground cloth I found in an outdoor store clearance box. It's waterproof, has several loops for hanging and packs up really small. Works great without the bulk and weight of an actual tarp and it will easily cover a picnic table with everyone sitting at it. I think I paid $19 for it.

I too have the Noah 12, but will be in the market for a 9 instead. I use 2 Kelty's staff poles and 2 REI adjustable poles. I've added adjustable, reflective guylines to all of the optional tie-outs, and it's survived some good storms. Having a big tarp will attract current and future friends in a hurry.

Camping Tarp

Hi,
If you're going to brave it in a tarp, the Hilleberg Tarp 5 works well for me. Below link...

http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/shelters/tarp/

I use a collapsible trekking pole, not the bike. In bad weather you can use the bike to guard the entrance, otherwise I like having a view. My sleeping bag goes in a waterproof bivy.

Jerry

Tarp

Hi,
If you're going to brave it in a tarp, the Hilleberg Tarp 5 works well for me. Below link...

http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/shelters/tarp/

I use a collapsible trekking pole, not the bike. In bad weather you can use the bike to guard the entrance, otherwise I like having a view. My sleeping bag goes in a waterproof bivy.

Jerry

Good setup videos thanks
Will put their tarps and tents on wish ( wish I had more money so I could buy stuff like this ) list

I use a Moss Parawing, which is no longer made but probably the best at shedding wind and rain.

I am not certain, but it appears that MSR (another great gear company) either took over the design or copied it: https://www.backcountry.com/msr-rendezvous-200-wing-shelter

You really do want something that stands up in windy conditions.

IMG_0549%20-%20Version%202-X2.jpg

I have camped with a lightweight sleeping bag and a small tarp. One evening I was with a friend and he was equally equipped. As the sun went down the mosquitoes came out in force. We both had our tarps hanging between the bikes and tree and ended up pulling down the tarps and covering ourselves completely. Damn near cooked under that tarp as it was a warm night, but survived the 'skeeters. After that I use a light weight tent if I camp.

I have camped with a lightweight sleeping bag and a small tarp. One evening I was with a friend and he was equally equipped. As the sun went down the mosquitoes came out in force. We both had our tarps hanging between the bikes and tree and ended up pulling down the tarps and covering ourselves completely. Damn near cooked under that tarp as it was a warm night, but survived the 'skeeters. After that I use a light weight tent if I camp.

Skeeters!:banghead
You made me laugh reminding me of one of those nights with just my nose sticking out of my sleeping bag and having a multi bite nose at dawn.I was in a sauna.
Yeah, kinda like being able to control the enemy in some locales and close most of them out.

FWIW...I have as a permanent part of my camping kit one of the head nets. Works awesome, packs small, you can still see through it and it allows you to sit outside at camp regardless of the skeeter situation. Highly recommend.

Back