• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Battery suggestion 2003 K1200GT

jrmull

Looks like the time to replace my BMW battery part number 61212346800 that is two years old 5/2016. Still cranks ok for now and uses a trickle charger for the evening. BMW specs say this is a 12v19AH. I didn't pull the battery out to confirm, but the BMW invoice has that part number. Without the charger, the drops voltage after a day or two. Fixing it before it's a problem.

Any recommendations? Walmart has replacements for $42 on a 18AH . Boneyard has 20AH from Westco $84. The BMW invoice was $127 a couple years ago.

My climate is Chicago area, riding 9 months out of the year, so some 40 degree cold days are good to get out. Bike is in an unheated garage.

I am not particular on brand. 20AH, 30AH ?

Do people pull the battery in the dead winter? Seems more logical to pull the battery than trickle charge it for 3 months.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Motobatt. http://www.motobatt.us/fitment-tool

Having tried several different battery brands across multiple bikes, including the much-recommended PC680, Motobatt is my go-to at this point. Yes, they are a bit more money than some, but MB will give you a 22AH battery that fits in the original holder. The extra terminal connections are very handy when it comes time to wire up accessories, too.

Available through a variety of sources, one of the best is Tom Cutter’s Rubber Chicken Racing Garage at
http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com

No vested interest, just a happy customer,

DG

I only buy OEM.
Watch some of the forums this time of year; especially Black Friday.
The BMW vendors usually run aggressive specials.
Lat year it was 20% and free shipping.

Joe

I only buy OEM.
Watch some of the forums this time of year; especially Black Friday.
The BMW vendors usually run aggressive specials.
Lat year it was 20% and free shipping.

Joe

Out of curiosity, who makes the OEM battery for your bike. Assuredly, it isn't BMW. They don't make batteries.

Out of curiosity, who makes the OEM battery for your bike. Assuredly, it isn't BMW. They don't make batteries.

Exide. Part #: 51913
You can go directly to their website at Exide.com and search for the battery for your application.
I hope this helps.

Good luck. Not all are available in North America.

Joe

Thanks for your inputs. For my climate (chicago) I will go with an AGM battery to avoid freezing. The specs on the BMW battery is 19Ah / 170 cca. It looks like the Ah and CCA are not as big a deal for me. If I were starting a snowmobile, I would insist on a high CCA. Not likely will I be joy riding sub zero temps. I haven't heard of any worries to the ABS or other electrical circuits using a 22Ah vs 19Ah. I read comments that the temperature used to measure Ah makes a 19Ah similar to a 22Ah rating. Gets it fuzzy math.

I don't plan on pulling the battery for 3 months and putting it indoors. There will be a couple times in the winter I want to get out in the winter sun. Trickle charge it in the bike. The AGM is important for the cold garage. GEL is out.

Looks like Motobatt with the extra accessory post is helpful. My positive post has too many add-ons with trickle charger and a relay fuse box.

Marathon 51913 12 Volt / 22 Ah / 220 CCA $79
Odyssey PC680MJ 12 Volt / 16 Ah / 170 CCA $140
Motobatt MB51814 AGM Battery 12 Volt / 22 Ah / 220 CCA $127
Mighty Max ML18-12 GEL is a 12V 18AH $45 (walmart)
BMW Exide Factory Sealed AGM 12 vt / 19 Ah CCA 170 $140

Tired of replacing

Are use the odyssey because I got tired of replacing the $45 batteries that I got off the Internet

Back