• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Websites for Wildfire Information

exgman

I thought I'd post this information here in case anyone had an interest. It's not motorcycle-related, but perhaps it will assist someone in the future with trip planning, or some other useful pursuit. These are two websites which I found last year when my sister who is a resident of Sonoma was facing the danger of wildfires there. I used these to track the pace of those fires and help her make decisions.

The first seems to be a Federal real-time database about wildfires anywhere in the US. The particular URL is focused on Thousand Oaks, CA, but it's easily moved to Maine or any other US location:

https://maps.nwcg.gov/sa/#/?/34.1106/-118.7868/8

The second seems to be a California topographical mapping system, and again, the URL I'm posting is for the Thousand Oaks, CA area:

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=34.14816,-118.75428&z=11&b=hyb&a=modis_mp

I hope someone finds this useful.

Thanks, John - a good friend lost his house in Paradise (both figuratively and literally), and I have a few friends in the Thousand Oaks thru Topanga areas - I'll share those sites around.
Paul

Woah!!!

I have a friend in Reseda and that looks wayyyyy to close.

Given the buildings in the area me thinks she is safe, but still. The smoke must be murder.

I'm a bit southeast of LAX, and the smoke is pretty significant, along with the high larger particulates. Everything is getting coated with a layer of grit.

When the AZ fires of 2002 broke out and again in 2005 and 2007, the smoke in NM was murder. The grit aspect i know well and am not fond of. Especially the smoke odor and the massive blockage of the sun. All I can say is to hold out a prayer for all.

I am just glad i am not there right now.

Wildfire Today is an on-line magazine for...well wildfires. They also have a lot of links too. They've posted information of smoke plumes, weather impact and other related info too. They're part of my daily morning read.

I did use Inciweb.com, which is the federal mapping database, but I guess they only update once a week now. And the revamped website isn't as useful as the old site.

CalFire has a statewide database, which is usually updated twice a day (morning & evening) for current events. They also list recent events.

But my experience is Twitter has the most current info. If you learn to filter out the crap & scammers, there is a lot of real time info there. Just make sure to follow the Fire, LEO, EMS and other agencies that service your area. Once you learn the name of a area fire/incident that you are concerned about, just follow that hashtag. Agencies will usually make multiple postings to twitter before up-dating websites. Newsies also post a lot of real time info there too.

Son is a Wildland FF for the Feds, so I have a special interest, besides living in a fire impacted area. I've had good results with Twitter. Just remember you don't have to post anything, you can just monitor for information. And it's free.

And did I mention the BMWMOA uses Twitter too?

Wildfire Today is an on-line magazine for...well wildfires. They also have a lot of links too. They've posted information of smoke plumes, weather impact and other related info too. They're part of my daily morning read.

I did use Inciweb.com, which is the federal mapping database, but I guess they only update once a week now. And the revamped website isn't as useful as the old site.

CalFire has a statewide database, which is usually updated twice a day (morning & evening) for current events. They also list recent events.

But my experience is Twitter has the most current info. If you learn to filter out the crap & scammers, there is a lot of real time info there. Just make sure to follow the Fire, LEO, EMS and other agencies that service your area. Once you learn the name of a area fire/incident that you are concerned about, just follow that hashtag. Agencies will usually make multiple postings to twitter before up-dating websites. Newsies also post a lot of real time info there too.

Son is a Wildland FF for the Feds, so I have a special interest, besides living in a fire impacted area. I've had good results with Twitter. Just remember you don't have to post anything, you can just monitor for information. And it's free.

And did I mention the BMWMOA uses Twitter too?

I use that web page in the Assessor's Office so that we can map out the fire lines after the fact to re-appraise properties burned.
I have noticed that ALL of the Federal web sites have become more difficult to get data from and seemingly going to a lower level of interface and interaction rather than upward. less user friendly functions.

I use that web page in the Assessor's Office so that we can map out the fire lines after the fact to re-appraise properties burned.
I have noticed that ALL of the Federal web sites have become more difficult to get data from and seemingly going to a lower level of interface and interaction rather than upward. less user friendly functions.

Public information doesn't seem to be much of a Federal priority anymore.

Back