• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Yellowed Tank Bag

Anyone have any luck restoring the plastic to clear on the tank bag?

I have tried and failed several times on several different brand tank bags. My solution was that last time I bought a tank bag I made sure the map pocket was removable and I bought an extra map pocket. Double the lifetime, double the fun.

Welcome :wave
Is it a BMW bag or aftermarket? They all yellow, but the quickest I had was on an 05RT.
I, like Paul, use a removable pocket one now and have found replacements easy.

Haven't done myself, but a car upholstery shop that replaces convertible windows may do it as it is kinda a small window.

Have recently tried to revive a "vintage" one with some of that headlight restore liquid...lot of dang work for so-so result.

Perhaps... but may take a while. I sent my RT bag to Linda this April for replacement of the clear plastic and zipper. The work is still not done although I have spoken with her. From what I understand she is a one person shop and is backlogged.

Go to JOANN Fabric. (Store)
All you have to do is figure out how to install it in the place where you want it.

Have made several over the years with success.
But
Aftermarket map pockets are $10-$15.

Charlie

If you are looking for a source for material, Sailrite has the products-

https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Marine-Fabric/Clear-Vinyl-Window-Material

You have the choice by specification as to what to do/use. If you don't sew, most any seamstress can do it. If you don't know a seamstress, your local dry-cleaner should be able to point you in the right direction.

As an aside, Sailrite is a great company for sewing/repair/sail supplies. The may have a how-to video on boat window repair that will help.

OM

I've had good luck with Novus #2 plastic polish on my car for over 20 years.
Last year, I took a tank bag out of 20 year storage and the map pocket was poor.
Hit it with the novus and the results weren't perfect, but you can clearly read a map through it.

As an aside, in this GPS age, what are you doing with a map?
I figured I was the only person still using them. :)

As an aside, in this GPS age, what are you doing with a map?
I figured I was the only person still using them. :)

If anybody has a GPS on which the minor roads don't disappear as soon as it is zoomed out to see the big picture I would like to know the brand and model. With a map in my tank bag I can see a whole day's ride, ie; where the towns are for fuel planning, and where there might be a worthwhile route that is neither the fastest nor the shortest - which is what I ride 90% or more of the time when touring. I almost never ride without my GPS, or two - but also don't tour without maps. I buy an atlas and tear out the states as I need them.

If anybody has a GPS on which the minor roads don't disappear as soon as it is zoomed out to see the big picture I would like to know the brand and model. With a map in my tank bag I can see a whole day's ride, ie; where the towns are for fuel planning, and where there might be a worthwhile route that is neither the fastest nor the shortest - which is what I ride 90% or more of the time when touring. I almost never ride without my GPS, or two - but also don't tour without maps. I buy an atlas and tear out the states as I need them.

What Paul said. :thumb

Some of us like maps still! I have two map covers to fit on one tank bag. One that is about 11" x 8.5" and one 8.5" x 5.5". :wave

I seem to be the one in a group with maps almost every ride...and the haters/don't need one folks always want to look at it:scratch

Having a yellowed map pocket would not make me as popular:D

We always have maps on both bikes. For most of our riding region we have Butler maps, which we fid very helpful.

It is just common sense to at least have a paper map with you in case the GPS fails. I carry the GPS, my smarter better half has the paper map. Although we have had some shouting matches on the side of the road (I am ALWAYS right):fight, we have always been able to find our way. I knew a guy who depended so much on his GPS to tell him where to turn, that he drove right past the road to his OWN house. :doh

It is just common sense to at least have a paper map with you in case the GPS fails. I carry the GPS, my smarter better half has the paper map. Although we have had some shouting matches on the side of the road (I am ALWAYS right):fight, we have always been able to find our way. I knew a guy who depended so much on his GPS to tell him where to turn, that he drove right past the road to his OWN house. :doh

My favorite was a ride through the southern Missouri Ozarks on a double letter highway - ie VV or somesuch. We were generally heading east to west. As we approached a town the hilly, curvy road turned north to enter a small town. The route wee were following made a left turn to exit the town heaed west. I missed the turn. About two miles north of town I noticed, on my GPS, that we were angling back northeast. I knew this was wrong. I pulled over and signaled Voni we needed to make a U turn. We turned around and went back to town. I pulled into some curbside parking. Voni pulls up beside me and announces, "Two GPSs and a map and you still get lost".

Voni pulls up beside me and announces, "Two GPSs and a map and you still get lost".

Helen has made helpful comments to several of us at times with same issue.
Years back, trying to get on the BRP in Asheville...five of us in front of her turned on a private road and it ended on a uphill narrow patch:banghead
I got to turn her bike around which got me out of trouble:hug

On the way to DesMoines, four of us made several stops and u-turns trying to find a familiar hotel in Arkansas. I got out-voted by my senior travel partners on direction as we came into town from a different direction from normal...after five re-routes we found it. Hotel was not on GPS anymore which compounded issue. Our ride leader kept walking over looking at my map and shrugging his shoulders as we both seemed to be lost:scratch

My customers were always amazed that I had a chart onboard as I also had a GPS. The paper backup never fails when the power goes out.
Anyway any Marine canvas shop can easily replace the plastic window on any tank-bag. If you're handy you can sow it yourself, but frankly seeing how fast the seamsters are I'd gladly pay them to fix my stuff..

My customers were always amazed that I had a chart onboard as I also had a GPS. The paper backup never fails when the power goes out.
Anyway any Marine canvas shop can easily replace the plastic window on any tank-bag. If you're handy you can sow it yourself, but frankly seeing how fast the seamsters are I'd gladly pay them to fix my stuff..

Do you know where I could find a "marine canvas shop" in the middle of the Chihuahuan Desert? :scratch :)

Back