• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help understanding what is normal vibration 2018RT

rickshapiro

I have put over 1000 mile in a few short weeks on my new 2018 RT. I really love this bike but am questioning how much vibration, in terms of high frequency vibration I should expect, if any, at higher RPMs. Anywhere over 4000 RPMs the engine smoothness disappears and through all touch points I can feel pretty, strong vibration. I did some freeway milage today and being in 6th and going above 70 was not pleasant. The road called for 85mph and it was pretty rough. The sweet spot seems to be 60-65 in 5th or 6th. So the difficult thing for me is my experience is subjective and I have no baseline. Perhaps what I am experiencing is normal and I am being over sensitive. I am not sure how to definitely figure this out. I would perhaps need to find someone to swap bikes that are similar. I did mention it during the first service, but they said everything appears to be fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I also have a '18 RT and is is smooth at pretty much all RPM's, certainly nothing annoying. There is a small vibration typical of a two cylinder motorcycle, but like I said, nothing objectionable, barely noticeable. I do get some weird vibration if I try to run 50-60 MPH in sixth, but a down shift to fifth cures that. Pretty sure the RT likes to run around 4K or better.

2016 1200RT owner here.

Riding in a higher gear than the speed dictates will cause "lugging" of the engine & it will vibrate noticeably. However, this isn't your issue, OP. I like to ride mine at hwy speeds often and experience no vibration like you describe. Time for a mechanic to see your bike, IMO.

Could be an out of balance driveshaft, could be a bad motor mount, could be one of a dozen things. A mechanic will determine if it's RPM related or speed related & go from there.

Good luck!

I have put over 1000 mile in a few short weeks on my new 2018 RT. I really love this bike but am questioning how much vibration, in terms of high frequency vibration I should expect, if any, at higher RPMs. Anywhere over 4000 RPMs the engine smoothness disappears and through all touch points I can feel pretty, strong vibration. I did some freeway milage today and being in 6th and going above 70 was not pleasant. The road called for 85mph and it was pretty rough. The sweet spot seems to be 60-65 in 5th or 6th. So the difficult thing for me is my experience is subjective and I have no baseline. Perhaps what I am experiencing is normal and I am being over sensitive. I am not sure how to definitely figure this out. I would perhaps need to find someone to swap bikes that are similar. I did mention it during the first service, but they said everything appears to be fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2018 RT ( my third RT ) and had a vibration problem (buzz) that started at 3K RPM and never went away, my problem turned out to be a bad clutch basket assembly, after it was replaced the buzz went away. I'm not sure if this is your problem or not but one thing to have your mechanic check out. I'd also suggest you get another 18RT to ride and see if your problem is real or not.

Howdy,

I have a 2018 RT and have not experienced any abnormal vibrations at any speed. Like others have said, it would be a good idea to have it inspected by a trained mechanic to determine the root cause.

David

Hard to tell without riding yours .

I have put over 1000 mile in a few short weeks on my new 2018 RT.p I really love this bike but am questioning how much vibration, in terms of high frequency vibration I should expect, if any, at higher RPMs. Anywhere over 4000 RPMs the engine smoothness disappears and through all touch points I can feel pretty, strong vibration. I did some freeway milage today and being in 6th and going above 70 was not pleasant. The road called for 85mph and it was pretty rough. The sweet spot seems to be 60-65 in 5th or 6th. So the difficult thing for me is my experience is subjective and I have no baseline. Perhaps what I am experiencing is normal and I am being over sensitive. I am not sure how to definitely figure this out. I would perhaps need to find someone to swap bikes that are similar. I did mention it during the first service, but they said everything appears to be fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

All the responses so far are sound ones. My physical limitations @ 70yrs old started transferring feedback to my over used hands way to much @ around 4000 rpm on my purchased new 2017 r1200rt . I bought heavier handlebar end weights and a pair of grip puppies . I wasn't getting hand shaking vibes but what I was getting were quite noticeable and caused some discomfort in my hands . Over long days that elevated to the point of robbing me of much enjoyment . Once I had done these inexpensive upgrades all became well again . I know the puppies did not do much ( maybe a little ) for the vibes but they allowed for a much better contact feel using a much more relaxed grip ergo vastly improved long days . I would definitely start with one posted suggestion of riding another 1200rt for comparison .
Good luck

All the responses so far are sound ones. My physical limitations @ 70yrs old started transferring feedback to my over used hands way to much @ around 4000 rpm on my purchased new 2017 r1200rt . I bought heavier handlebar end weights and a pair of grip puppies . I wasn't getting hand shaking vibes but what I was getting were quite noticeable and caused some discomfort in my hands . Over long days that elevated to the point of robbing me of much enjoyment . Once I had done these inexpensive upgrades all became well again . I know the puppies did not do much ( maybe a little ) for the vibes but they allowed for a much better contact feel using a much more relaxed grip ergo vastly improved long days . I would definitely start with one posted suggestion of riding another 1200rt for comparison .
Good luck

Thank you for the reply. Indeed, I first need to establish of a problem does indeed exist before seeking remediation such as weighted bar ends.

Regards,

Rick

I did mention it during the first service, but they said everything appears to be fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have another shop close by to give a 2nd opinion?
Any 2018 RT demo bikes available in your area?

MOA VP Reese Mullins had a vibration issue in the 50-60 mph range on his 2016 RT. On FaceBook he mentioned that he recently moved on from Michelin Road 5 tires to Dunlop Roadsmart 3s. The vibration he was feeling went away.

I should mention, at the speeds where the vibration is the roughest, I pulled in the clutch and everything was smooth. It is definitely some engagement with the motor.

I have a 2018 RT that we put 4500 miles on this riding season and it is wonderfully smooth, even to up to triple digit speeds. I know from smooth as our prior bike was a GL1800, the near epitome of smoothness. Since you added that upon disengaging the clutch the vibration went away I believe you are correct in that the vibration is engine related. I suggest that you either have the dealer service department ride it again after providing them with this additional information or if necessary find another dealer. As a note, be certain to make note of the total odometer miles on the bike when you drop it to them so you can be certain that it was actually ridden, and farther than just around the block.

Check the oil level

This will sound stupid, and I'll probably get some razzing, but check that your oil level is not above the red circle in the sight glass. After my 600 mile service, the oil was completely filling the sight glass; the bike had some noticeable vibes. At my 6K service, I had new tires installed (RS 3s) and the same vibration level, which had gradually decreased as the oil level dropped to inside the red circle. The dealer had again filled the crankcase (4 liters) and had also done a really poor install on the tires (failed to mount the yellow dot at the valve). I thought it was the tires, but when I pulled in the clutch, the vibes dropped way down. I've drained the oil filter twice now, and emptied the valve covers, to drop the oil level, which is now just above the red circle. The vibrations have gone down again, and I'm hoping they'll continue to decrease as the oil level goes down. HTH but YMMV.

Dennis

Never ever run the oil level above the red circle on any RT. The engine is like an air pump inside the crankcase. As the pistons travel down the cylinders together, at the same time they pressurize the crankcase. There needs to be enough air volume inside the crankcase to absorb this pressure. If not the oil mist is pressed into the crankcase vent and back up through the rings and into the cylinders for combustion. This accelerates the wear and destruction of many different parts in the engine including the catalyst itself. Fouls spark plugs and the engine seals as well. This is especially true large twin cylinder engines since they “pump” the engines crankcase much more dramatically than a four cylinder engine. The maximum level is at the bottom of the top portion of the circle. The oil level in the center of the circle is the normal level. Your mechanic needs an education. Speak to dealership management to get him or her straitened out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will check the oil although I doubt this is the issue. It has been this way before and after the 600 mile service.

Regards,

Rick

There is absolutely no way to even guess the cause with the very limited information stated in the thread and your profile.

I should suggest that you join your local BMW club. Contrary to what Honda says, you meet the best people on a BMW!

E.

There is absolutely no way to even guess the cause with the very limited information stated in the thread and your profile.

I should suggest that you join your local BMW club. Contrary to what Honda says, you meet the best people on a BMW!

E.

I have already met a number of people through a few clubs and will be engaging more. What more would you need to better guess at some possible causes of my issue. The bike is a 2018RT, US with 1000 miles. The only service it had so far is its 600 mile. Indeed I have found great people on through the BMW forums.

I have already met a number of people through a few clubs and will be engaging more. What more would you need to better guess at some possible causes of my issue. The bike is a 2018RT, US with 1000 miles. The only service it had so far is its 600 mile. Indeed I have found great people on through the BMW forums.

I’m certainly not a BMW mechanic, but I do have a few questions.

When you made the dealership aware of the issue “during” the 600-mile service. Did you speak to the service advisor or the mechanic?

What vibration did you experience during the test-ride before purchasing the bike?

Did you test-ride the same bike you purchased, or a different R1200RT, or a different model?

Have you felt this vibration on other R1200RTs, or other BMWs?

What was the mileage on the bike when you first noticed the vibration?

Did anything unusual happen immediately before noticing the vibration?

Was anything done to the bike during the 600-mile service other than the 600 mile service, if so, what?

Since the 600-mile service have you spoken to the dealership’s mechanic, or service advisor?

Has the bike been ridden by anyone other than yourself after the 600-mile service, if so, what did they say?

You say you can feel the vibration at all “touch points.” At what specific touch points do you feel it?

Any sound with the vibration?

You refer to “engine vibration.” How can you tell it’s coming from the engine?

Any vibration through the grips?

Have the tires, etc. been balanced?

Have you closely examined the tires, wheels and rotors to see if anything appears unusual?

What are the type and size of tires on front and back? (Correct size and matching make and model tire)

Do the forks, and shock absorber appear to be leaking?

Is there any unusual play in the front-end, or final drive?

There are also a number of engine and frame related questions.

I got my first RT new in 2006, and my second RT new this past January, and although I had a number of issues with the '06, I never experienced anything other than what I consider to be a normal vibration with either bike. However, I had a Harley that threw a wheel balance weight that caused a bad vibration. You hit the big issue - subjective and objective. That’s why I suggested a BMW club. Club members are a wealth of information, and one might be interested in test riding your bike, but that’s between you and him, or her. I would give the selling dealership at least two attempts before thinking about searching for other dealerships, or mechanics. And you can always request a different dealership mechanic examine the bike.

I really hope the issue is resolved soon. There are some good riding days left this year.

E.

I’m certainly not a BMW mechanic, but I do have a few questions.

I do appreciate your help.

When you made the dealership aware of the issue “during” the 600-mile service. Did you speak to the service advisor or the mechanic?

I did not make them aware as I was just getting familiar with the bike and was on the fence regarding whether it was a concern. I naively perhaps assumed during the check that anything significant would come to the surface. I did ask if that they check the Throttle Sync in which they informed me is managed through the computer and would be checked.

What vibration did you experience during the test-ride before purchasing the bike?

I never test-road the bike or any other RT prior to the purchase. The bike was ordered from a remote dealer and shipped to my home. I have no baseline reference although I am seeking one now.

Did you test-ride the same bike you purchased, or a different R1200RT, or a different model?

See above

Have you felt this vibration on other R1200RTs, or other BMWs?

I have not had the opportunity to ride any other RTs or BMWs. My experience has been with in-line 4s which I know are smoother in natures.

What was the mileage on the bike when you first noticed the vibration?

It was always there I think, but first noticed it when I got more comfortable with all other aspects of the bike such as ergonomics, handling and controls.

Did anything unusual happen immediately before noticing the vibration?

No

Was anything done to the bike during the 600-mile service other than the 600 mile service, if so, what?

No

Since the 600-mile service have you spoken to the dealership’s mechanic, or service advisor?

No. I was hoping to get some feedback from other and perhaps get a baseline on what is normal. I figured I may get only one chance with a dealer on this. If the dealers says it normal I may have little recourse other than to accept it is normal, at least without escalating the issue.

Has the bike been ridden by anyone other than yourself after the 600-mile service, if so, what did they say?

No other riders other than the bike was used as a demo with 150 miles. I’ve spoken to the shop that sold it to me but they did not admit to any issues. I do not expect to get any insight into those 150 miles.

You say you can feel the vibration at all “touch points.” At what specific touch points do you feel it?

Mostly the bar and pegs. The mirrors are affected a bit in term of blurriness.

Any sound with the vibration?

No, just the typical sounds of higher RPMs.

You refer to “engine vibration.” How can you tell it’s coming from the engine?

I’ve disengaged the clutch at speed when the vibrations occur and they go away. I am pretty sure it is not a frame or tire issue.

Any vibration through the grips?

Yes

Have the tires, etc. been balanced?

Factory tires.

Have you closely examined the tires, wheels and rotors to see if anything appears unusual?

They look normal to my untrained eyes.

What are the type and size of tires on front and back? (Correct size and matching make and model tire)

OEM tires

Do the forks, and shock absorber appear to be leaking?

No leaks.

Is there any unusual play in the front-end, or final drive?

Not that I’ve felt.

There are also a number of engine and frame related questions.

I got my first RT new in 2006, and my second RT new this past January, and although I had a number of issues with the '06, I never experienced anything other than what I consider to be a normal vibration with either bike. However, I had a Harley that threw a wheel balance weight that caused a bad vibration. You hit the big issue - subjective and objective. That’s why I suggested a BMW club. Club members are a wealth of information, and one might be interested in test riding your bike, but that’s between you and him, or her. I would give the selling dealership at least two attempts before thinking about searching for other dealerships, or mechanics. And you can always request a different dealership mechanic examine the bike.

I really hope the issue is resolved soon. There are some good riding days left this year.

Thank you again for the time you took to respond to my post.

Back