Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Packing for a camping trip

Wasp spray makes a good deterrent. Great range and accuracy and is inexpensive.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl's MT Outpost
    2017 R1200GSA & 2013 FJR

Douglas Williams
    I carry enough clothes for 5 days or so on extended trips and plan a motel stay for during my camping to get my laundry done. Some commercial campgrounds have laundry facilities which I'll also do. I carry Tide pods for that chore and some bounce sheets. For personal hygiene, I also carry Cottenelle wipes. I like them because their packaging, clamp-type lid on a soft pack, is easy to use. It's easier than carrying a roll of toilet paper. This is my bike on a six-week trip to Alaska.

Doug

i-5QJqWZX-XL.jpg
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Thanks for all the replies. I wholeheartedly subscribe to the idea of situational awareness. If the gut feeling tells you to move on, then that's what I do. I like the idea of bear spray. I think I'll start carrying it on my bike. I'm seriously considering a trip to Alaska in June 2019. Bear spray is definitely the way to go to ward off curious bears and other critters. The good part is that I can carry it through Canada and probably through some of the most liberal gun control states. Sounds like a viable alternative to carrying a firearm. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    I carry enough clothes for 5 days or so on extended trips and plan a motel stay for during my camping to get my laundry done. Some commercial campgrounds have laundry facilities which I'll also do. I carry Tide pods for that chore and some bounce sheets. For personal hygiene, I also carry Cottenelle wipes. I like them because their packaging, clamp-type lid on a soft pack, is easy to use. It's easier than carrying a roll of toilet paper. This is my bike on a six-week trip to Alaska.

Doug

i-5QJqWZX-XL.jpg
    Beautiful picture. Hope to get some pics of my bike in Alaska also.

BTW, these laundry sheets are the bomb for laundry on the road:

https://www.amazon.com/WashEZE-Unsce...heze+unscented

Can be cut in half or thirds if doing a small load or sink-washing primary layers, and they take care of fabric softener and dryer sheet functions. Used them on many trips, including my ride to Tuk in June. Be sure to get the unscented for bear country.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S PD 1993 R100GS 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by 1hpyrider View Post
    I think I'll start carrying it on my bike. I'm seriously considering a trip to Alaska in June 2019. Bear spray is definitely the way to go to ward off curious bears and other critters. The good part is that I can carry it through Canada and probably through some of the most liberal gun control states.
    An important point to note about bear spray in Canada. It is allowed in Canada, but is still considered a weapon. If a person were to use bear spray against a human it would be considered the use of a weapon. And that use would need to be justified in order to avoid an assault charge under Canadian law. This was spelled out in more detail in a little fact sheet when I bought a canister in Canada. The use of "Mace" in the US is also considered an assault which needs to be justified in order to avoid an assault charge and/or conviction. Be aware!
    Last edited by PGlaves; 11-27-2018 at 03:51 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

RK Ryder
    Besides carrying bear spray when knowing I'll be camping in bear country, I also pack a small air horn. A friend once told me that firing a pistol into the air caused a bear to turn tail. Since carrying a gun is not an option for me I decided on the horn.

Fortunately for me, I've not needed either to date as the only bear I've encountered ran across the road in front of me and did not stop.
    Last edited by Paul_F; 11-27-2018 at 03:07 AM.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Moto Camp Packing

A friend rides a Hondapotamus, with a trailer! It works for him. I'm presently at the other end of the spectrum.
    Been camping/hiking, and riding motor driven cycles 50+ years.
    Started moto-camping about ten years ago hauling about 120#s of stuff. (that's 80#s more than I used to carry on a week long hiking trip)
    I've gradually reduced that down to 40-50#s whether it's a 2 day or 2 week trip.

I started riding on dirt bikes and have found I prefer less weight while on a bike even when on pavement.
    Most trips start/finish with 100 to 150 miles of freeway slab, the rest is twisty mountain roads where physics* matter.
    The camping gear I have is lightweight and good to 10 deg F.
    I do not miss any of the stuff that's been eliminated.
    You will find your comfort zone.
    Bill

* Physics, never lost.
    Last edited by tanker4me; 11-27-2018 at 01:33 PM.
    We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Besides carrying bear spray when knowing I'll be camping in bear country, I also pack a small air horn. A friend once told me that firing a pistol into the air caused a bear to turn tail. Since carrying a gun is not an option for me I decided on the horn.

Fortunately for me, I've not needed either to date as the only bear I've encountered ran across the road in front of me and did not stop.
    I will also add a horn to the mix. I already carry a whistle in my pack. Never had to use it. I don't know if a bear would be attracted to the whistle or run from it. A loud horn does seem to be a better option. Thanks!

Where's Friedle?

Quote Originally Posted by 1hpyrider View Post
    A loud horn does seem to be a better option. Thanks!
    ... BLAST!
    Unless it's a horny bear.
    Bill
    We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    This is my bike on a six-week trip to Alaska.

Doug

i-5QJqWZX-XL.jpg
    I've done a four week camping trip with my bike packed like Doug's.

Quote Originally Posted by tanker4me View Post
    I prefer less weight while on a bike even when on pavement.

Bill
    Weighing in at under 150 pounds and a short inseam, I prefer the bikes to be lighter, like Bill.

This involves packing rain/warm gear, extra footwear etc in one pannier and clothes in the other side case. The top box is pretty much empty except for snacks and other small necessities that are needed on the road. This keeps the bike light and very manageable.

Camping gear? It follows behind in a small one wheel trailer, when other than in a strong crosswind, is not discernible.

If I am on a trip which involves a series one night stays, the trailer is left at home and a small two man tent is strapped across the pillion seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Wasp spray makes a good deterrent. Great range and accuracy and is inexpensive.
    Great idea...that is nasty stuff and easily available.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031