Thread: How do I ship a vehicle from Bulgaria to Canada?

How do I ship a vehicle from Bulgaria to Canada?

Hi all, new member here.

Wanting to ship a vehicle internationally for the first time. Was told to ask here. Not specifically a bike, but a land cruiser in this case. Hoping someone here may have experience in this to share.

I'm on the west coast of Canada, my thought is that shipping from Bulgaria to Montreal and enjoying the drive home to Victoria (I'm guessing roughly $1000 - 1200 spent on diesel over 5000Kms) would be cheaper than shipping all the way home. I understand containerizing it is far safer, potentially twice the price vs ro-ro (roll on - roll off). Also, in a container you can pile in all kinds of spare parts, etc. whereas with ro-ro nothing that is not attached to the vehicle can accompany it.

I've considered flying to Bulgaria and renting a berth on the freighter that my vehicle is on would ensure arriving in Montreal at the same time. I understand this is possible on many ships.

Any experienced tips/tricks regarding alternatives, safety, cost savings, companies to use, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to your replies.

Todd

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!
    No idea but it sure will be interesting to hear how your adventure turns out. Let us know.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Todd,

Last time I shipped a vehicle (BMW 735i) was 1985 so I'm not certain about process etc since we have 9/11 in between. I'll ask a friend of mine who is a maritime engineer and regularly sails between the US and Europe. I'll post up what he's able to offer as far as information.

Welcome here!

Walter

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.
    H. L. Mencken

Are you saying you want to bring it in for a short duration or import (here to stay)?

Short duration is possible but expensive.
    I've done research in the past to send bikes to Europe or the other way around and the are no real cheap deals. I would not recommend shipping any vehicle unprotected.

Import is nearly impossible unless it meets very specific conditions. Importing a vehicle from other countries than the United States.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Have no experience here, so won't offer any advise. But this sounds like it would make for a great story. Either on-line here or in the magazine.