• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How do I ship a vehicle from Bulgaria to Canada?

cannedcruiser

Hi all, new member here.

Wanting to ship a vehicle internationally for the first time. Was told to ask here. Not specifically a bike, but a land cruiser in this case. Hoping someone here may have experience in this to share.

I'm on the west coast of Canada, my thought is that shipping from Bulgaria to Montreal and enjoying the drive home to Victoria (I'm guessing roughly $1000 - 1200 spent on diesel over 5000Kms) would be cheaper than shipping all the way home. I understand containerizing it is far safer, potentially twice the price vs ro-ro (roll on - roll off). Also, in a container you can pile in all kinds of spare parts, etc. whereas with ro-ro nothing that is not attached to the vehicle can accompany it.

I've considered flying to Bulgaria and renting a berth on the freighter that my vehicle is on would ensure arriving in Montreal at the same time. I understand this is possible on many ships.

Any experienced tips/tricks regarding alternatives, safety, cost savings, companies to use, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to your replies.

Todd

Welcome to the forum!
No idea but it sure will be interesting to hear how your adventure turns out. Let us know.
Gary

Todd,

Last time I shipped a vehicle (BMW 735i) was 1985 so I'm not certain about process etc since we have 9/11 in between. I'll ask a friend of mine who is a maritime engineer and regularly sails between the US and Europe. I'll post up what he's able to offer as far as information.

Welcome here!

Are you saying you want to bring it in for a short duration or import (here to stay)?

Short duration is possible but expensive.
I've done research in the past to send bikes to Europe or the other way around and the are no real cheap deals. I would not recommend shipping any vehicle unprotected.

Import is nearly impossible unless it meets very specific conditions. Importing a vehicle from other countries than the United States.

Have no experience here, so won't offer any advise. But this sounds like it would make for a great story. Either on-line here or in the magazine.

Sounds like fun, I've only shipped bikes around North America. Too bad as you can easily fly them on Air Canada. Keep us in the loop, we're interested in what you come up with.

Sounds like fun, I've only shipped bikes around North America. Too bad as you can easily fly them on Air Canada. Keep us in the loop, we're interested in what you come up with.

Pay closer attention. Asking about shipping a Land Cruiser, not a bike. Big difference. Tougher to fly it over unless you have access to a C-17 :wave

Friedle

Since the OP has not logged in since 11-23-18 any farther posts are probably falling on dead air, or in this case bytes.

Back