Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Heated gear 2018

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkjohnson View Post
    Well, the HexEZcan is a relay/fuze device completely separate from the bike's circuits, except that it takes signals from the canbus circuit to get signals for its own battery-supplied circuits. It has four circuits nominally available, two 10-amp circuits, and two 4-am circuits. One of the 10 amp circuits is intended for auxiliary lights, and has a dimming function--when used for lighting--controlled by the Wunderwheel. Instead, I used that circuit for my electric garments, which draw around 6 amps max (most of the time I use about 25% of "max."--gets too hot otherwise) The Wunderwheel provides more "positions" or heat settings--about 7--than typical heat controllers. To better sense (too hot or too cold) the heat change after an adjustment I put an incandescent pilot light in the circuit so I could quickly see the effects of my Wunderwheel heat adjustments. You can also turn it "on" or "off" by holding the turn signal switch for a few seconds. The Hex is more compact than the usual relay options, so easy to fit under a R1200GS rear seat. I like it because it simplifies wiring.
    Interesting
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Interesting
    OM
    Denali has its own version of that, under their own brand name Denali CANsmart controller.

Also the Clearwater CANopener works with the BMW Wonder wheel. It has some of the features found in the Hex module and uses the CANbus. Clearwater does not sell the CANopener as a stand alone unit.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    Denali has its own version of that, under their own brand name Denali CANsmart controller.

Also the Clearwater CANopener works with the BMW Wonder wheel. It has some of the features found in the Hex module and uses the CANbus. Clearwater does not sell the CANopener as a stand alone unit.
    Pat, not wanting to nit-pick, but the Denali is a re-branded Hex unit made for Denali by Hex. It's a small difference but it is significant. The Denali unit comes with Denali plugs on the wiring so it works very well if you are using all or mostly all Denali accessories. Not as well if most of your connections are not Denali plugs.

My limited experience with the Clearwater CANopener (I've got two) is that it is more proprietary than the Hex/Denali alternative, however, all will work if you have any of these.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    Pat, not wanting to nit-pick, but the Denali is a re-branded Hex unit made for Denali by Hex. It's a small difference but it is significant. The Denali unit comes with Denali plugs on the wiring so it works very well if you are using all or mostly all Denali accessories. Not as well if most of your connections are not Denali plugs.

My limited experience with the Clearwater CANopener (I've got two) is that it is more proprietary than the Hex/Denali alternative, however, all will work if you have any of these.
    My answer was in reply to OM's remarks "First I have heard of Wunderwheel integration of any type of vendor accessory. Lay it out for us if you can. OM".
    It seems I wasn't clear but I believe that is exactly what I said.

As to the CANopener there are more functions available than just the lights. There are extra wires coming out of that little box. CANopener manual.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT