• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Loose sidecase on mounts 2007 R12R

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Put H's sidecases on her R12R yesterday and they are very loose compared to other similar models in our shop currently.

Recall BMW had some shims to go over the two tabs on rails, but, cannot locate in fiche. Could not locate the years old thread that had part numbers:scratch

Put H's sidecases on her R12R yesterday and they are very loose compared to other similar models in our shop currently.

Recall BMW had some shims to go over the two tabs on rails, but, cannot locate in fiche. Could not locate the years old thread that had part numbers:scratch

46 54 7 712 002 "Set of Clamps with Bracket"

They clip onto the locking mechanism on the bottom bike side of the cases. The base of the L shape is different thicknesses to help tighten up the slack.

OK, thanks guys:thumb
I was thinking at one time years ago, saw three different sized wedge shaped spacers that went over the top mounts. Seems tighhening the bottom would do the same so will order a set.

She was watching me put the cases on and asked what I had done wrong:banghead

I don't typically install/remove them on her bike so was scratching my head noticing there was so much slack. The RT here is solid compared to this set.

I got the thicker ones the first time and couldn’t use them so best to estimate the size you need first if you can.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?83234-07RT-Left-Pannier-locking-tab-missing

I seem to remember the set of 4 is two sets of two different thicknesses both thicker than the standard set of two. The originals can wear enough that another original can fix it as was my case. I ended up shipping both sets of the thicker ones to someone else.

Good info, thanks again.
They are loose enough I would be afraid to hit a serious bump right now, can move up and down an inch or more

Back