• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 RT - Sena 20s Evo

stinkypete

I'm in the market for a Sena 20s Evo dual helmet setup for my 2016 RT. My local BMW and Sena dealer has suggested that the Sena may not be fully and completely compatible RT's bluetooth audio output, but wasn't sure what the problem was.

My bluetooth requirements are as follows....
1. Rider to Pillion Coms
2. RT audio to Rider
3. RT audio to Pillion
4. Rider/CB radio via Sena SR10
5. Not fussed about a link to my mobile phone.

Any comments on the RT to Sena 20s Evo compatabiity?

I can't speak specifically to the 2016 RT, but my Sena 20s gives me all those functions on my 2011 and 2018 RT's.

It wouldn't say that it's not compatible, but in a word, the bluetooth audio out on the RT SUCKS. It's low quality and outdated BT2.0. You cannot control the audio level with the wonder wheel. I'd look at wiring a Motochello Speaker Bridge (https://www.motochello.com/audio-speaker-bridge/) directly to the SR10, which is what a number of folks here have done, myself included.

I'm in the market for a Sena 20s Evo dual helmet setup for my 2016 RT. My local BMW and Sena dealer has suggested that the Sena may not be fully and completely compatible RT's bluetooth audio output, but wasn't sure what the problem was.

My bluetooth requirements are as follows....
1. Rider to Pillion Coms
2. RT audio to Rider
3. RT audio to Pillion
4. Rider/CB radio via Sena SR10
5. Not fussed about a link to my mobile phone.

Any comments on the RT to Sena 20s Evo compatabiity?

I installed the following system on my 2018 R1200RT-LC:
I installed a MotoChello Speaker Bridge, which lets you select if the audio from the radio goes to the speakers or to an audio cable. I have this cable connected to a Sena SM10, which connects by Bluetooth to my Sena 20S.
The Sena SM10 can connect to 2 different Sena Bluetooth headsets at the same time.
My GPS Navigator 6 connects, as a phone, directly to my Sena 20S. I have my phone connected to the Nav 6 by Bluetooth.
It has priority over the SM10, which means that the GPS will over ride the signal from the SM10.
If you use a SR10 for your CB radio, it will have priority over the SM10. But the GPS will have top priority.
You can pair up your phone instead of the GPS, if you have no need for directions from the GPS.
And of course if you don't need either GPS directions or a phone linkup, your SR10 will be top priority over your music (SM10).
Another benefit of using the Speaker Bridge, is that I can control the volume of the radio with the WonderWheel and I can get full stereo sound.
The Bluetooth software/hardware installed on the bike is a older version, that doesn't transmit good sound.
Let me know if you need more info.

The bike's audio bluetooth will not connect to the rider and passenger headset at the same time. This is not a limitation of the Sena 20S EVO but of the bike's audio bluetooth.

The bike's audio bluetooth will not connect to the rider and passenger headset at the same time. This is not a limitation of the Sena 20S EVO but of the bike's audio bluetooth.

Thanks for the info so far. This is certainly an unexpected characteristic of the RT's Audio and might be a deal breaker. I'll keep considering options........

Thanks for the info so far. This is certainly an unexpected characteristic of the RT's Audio and might be a deal breaker. I'll keep considering options........
IIRC Only the BMW comms will connect for both rider and passenger.

I spent some time with my local BMW and Sena dealer this afternoon, working to see if we could properly pair two Sena 20s Evo units with my BMW motorcycle. The BMW R1200RT bluetooth/audio capability would clearly only allow one Sena device to be paired, which was a disappointing outcome. I won't be buying a Sena, and the fact that the Sena 20s Evo is not waterproof was a second reason not to buy.

Thanks to all for your input.

Bernie's advice is the best advice. I have my bike set up this way (I listen to the GPS, XM (bikes radio) and hear the alerts from the V1), the only way to get better sound is to forget Bluetooth, hard wire.

Jay

Bernie's advice is the best advice. I have my bike set up this way (I listen to the GPS, XM (bikes radio) and hear the alerts from the V1), the only way to get better sound is to forget Bluetooth, hard wire.

Jay

Thanks Bernie and Jay. :thumb

I have a 2016 RT and SENA 20S for me and my wife. All Bluetooth pairing and audio features work as advertised; no problems, excellent audio output.

And have ridden in pouring rain multiple times over the last two years... no issues.

I don't doubt that the Sena 20S is a good comm device.
However Sena is very clear on this, their devices are water resistant, not waterproof. Even their expensive, top of the line, 30K.
Sena will not replace a device due to water damage during it's warranty period while Cardo will.

patm;1147489 ...Sena will not replace a device due to water damage during it's warranty period while Cardo will.[/QUOTE said:
That's not my experience. Sena replaced my 10S in 2016 for exactly that reason. I rode through a torrential downpour, and the device did not work properly after that. I contacted Sena Customer Assistance, got an RMA, returned my 10S to Sena, and got a brand-new -- in the box -- 10S as a warranty replacement.

That's not my experience. Sena replaced my 10S in 2016 for exactly that reason. I rode through a torrential downpour, and the device did not work properly after that. I contacted Sena Customer Assistance, got an RMA, returned my 10S to Sena, and got a brand-new -- in the box -- 10S as a warranty replacement.
My comment was regarding the Sena 20S and 30K. Read the comments with this video.

I spent some time with my local BMW and Sena dealer this afternoon, working to see if we could properly pair two Sena 20s Evo units with my BMW motorcycle. The BMW R1200RT bluetooth/audio capability would clearly only allow one Sena device to be paired, which was a disappointing outcome. I won't be buying a Sena, and the fact that the Sena 20s Evo is not waterproof was a second reason not to buy.

Thanks to all for your input.

My Sena 20s connects to the BMW on board system and to the other headset(s). I use the wired ear buds to enhance the music experience.
Took me a long time to sort the technical stuff out with trail and error but Sena tech peeps tried their best.

2017 R1200RT BTW.

Pat, I've seen those videos as well, but I don't plan on using my Sena while swimming. Like my raingear and helmet that both keep me dry, if I submerged either of them in water they would fail immediately or after a very short while. My need is for something that works when being properly used. ;-)

My experience has been the same as Reece's, my Sena units have been subjected to many torrential downpours at speed for long periods of time and I've never had an issue. I've had issues with "waterproof" 2-way radios, an older Garmin StreetPilot GPS, etc., but my Sena SMH10, SM10 (dual-stream wireless and wired Bluetooth for my 2-way, etc.), 20S EVO, and SPH10 have all given great service. And, like Mark, the two times that I've had to contact customer support they've been very helpful. Never had to return anything, just forgot how to connect something while I was on the road and they walked me through it quickly.

I replaced my primary SMH10 last year with the 20S EVO when I determined that the audio output to other units was breaking up on a regular basis. This was one of Sena's first units, revised from their very first ones and about 7 years old. It has been subjected to many all-day rides in very heavy rain while constantly being used without any issues.

My primary reason for staying away from Cardo and using Sena is that the Sena is simply far easier, for me, to use with a gloved-hand while riding, I found that the Cardo really sucked in that area, YMMV.

Being able to use my gear easily is always a primary consideration. I don't know if Cardo can now be used while it is being charged, but the Sena has always had that ability. Not normally an issue as the battery easily lasts a full riding day, but on one occassion my wall charger connection slipped out and didn't charge the unit and one other time I simply forgot to charge it overnight. On both occassions all I did was connect a powerstick to the Sena unit and stash it in my jacket pocket. All was fine. IIRC, Carl Reese spoke of this frustration with his Cardo system when he did his Cannonball Run in 2015. It is possible that Cardo have fixed that now. Also, both the Sena and Cardo can be operated by voice-commands, which will help with the terrible Cardo ergonomics for some, but I am getting too old to remember those voice commands, so I prefer a unit that is easily controlled by a gloved hand while riding.

My Sena 20s connects to the BMW on board system and to the other headset(s). I use the wired ear buds to enhance the music experience.
Took me a long time to sort the technical stuff out with trail and error but Sena tech peeps tried their best.

2017 R1200RT BTW.

I understand from your post that you have been able to pair the bike's bluetooth music & radio audio output to both rider and pillion Sena 20s headsets. Well done! That's pretty good news, as I could only get one Sena 20s to pair with the bike, and therefore would be very keen to hear how you achieved it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonr1200 View Post

I understand from your post that you have been able to pair the bike's bluetooth music & radio audio output to both rider and pillion Sena 20s headsets. Well done! That's pretty good news, as I could only get one Sena 20s to pair with the bike, and therefore would be very keen to hear how you achieved it.

I read the post by jonr1200 differently than you do. I see he paired his 20S headset to the bike and also paired the same 20S to OTHER headsets not paired his headset to the bike and paired ANOTHER headset to the same bike.

Back