Thread: 2016 RT - Sena 20s Evo

2016 RT - Sena 20s Evo

I'm in the market for a Sena 20s Evo dual helmet setup for my 2016 RT. My local BMW and Sena dealer has suggested that the Sena may not be fully and completely compatible RT's bluetooth audio output, but wasn't sure what the problem was.

My bluetooth requirements are as follows....
    1. Rider to Pillion Coms
    2. RT audio to Rider
    3. RT audio to Pillion
    4. Rider/CB radio via Sena SR10
    5. Not fussed about a link to my mobile phone.

Any comments on the RT to Sena 20s Evo compatabiity?

I can't speak specifically to the 2016 RT, but my Sena 20s gives me all those functions on my 2011 and 2018 RT's.

It wouldn't say that it's not compatible, but in a word, the bluetooth audio out on the RT SUCKS. It's low quality and outdated BT2.0. You cannot control the audio level with the wonder wheel. I'd look at wiring a Motochello Speaker Bridge (https://www.motochello.com/audio-speaker-bridge/) directly to the SR10, which is what a number of folks here have done, myself included.
    Dave...
    ----------------
    15 R1200 RT, 12 G650GS
    83 XN85 D Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by stinkypete View Post
    I'm in the market for a Sena 20s Evo dual helmet setup for my 2016 RT. My local BMW and Sena dealer has suggested that the Sena may not be fully and completely compatible RT's bluetooth audio output, but wasn't sure what the problem was.

My bluetooth requirements are as follows....
    1. Rider to Pillion Coms
    2. RT audio to Rider
    3. RT audio to Pillion
    4. Rider/CB radio via Sena SR10
    5. Not fussed about a link to my mobile phone.

Any comments on the RT to Sena 20s Evo compatabiity?
    I installed the following system on my 2018 R1200RT-LC:
    I installed a MotoChello Speaker Bridge, which lets you select if the audio from the radio goes to the speakers or to an audio cable. I have this cable connected to a Sena SM10, which connects by Bluetooth to my Sena 20S.
    The Sena SM10 can connect to 2 different Sena Bluetooth headsets at the same time.
    My GPS Navigator 6 connects, as a phone, directly to my Sena 20S. I have my phone connected to the Nav 6 by Bluetooth.
    It has priority over the SM10, which means that the GPS will over ride the signal from the SM10.
    If you use a SR10 for your CB radio, it will have priority over the SM10. But the GPS will have top priority.
    You can pair up your phone instead of the GPS, if you have no need for directions from the GPS.
    And of course if you don't need either GPS directions or a phone linkup, your SR10 will be top priority over your music (SM10).
    Another benefit of using the Speaker Bridge, is that I can control the volume of the radio with the WonderWheel and I can get full stereo sound.
    The Bluetooth software/hardware installed on the bike is a older version, that doesn't transmit good sound.
    Let me know if you need more info.
    Bernie Echt
    2018 R1200RT-LC Alpenweiss, starting out fresh
    2007 R1200RT Double Silver sold (188702 Smiles), 2000 R11RT sold (105K)
    MOA#92589, BMWNEF, BMW-RA, AMA

The bike's audio bluetooth will not connect to the rider and passenger headset at the same time. This is not a limitation of the Sena 20S EVO but of the bike's audio bluetooth.
    2004 R1150RT 186,800 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 422,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by kioolt View Post
    The bike's audio bluetooth will not connect to the rider and passenger headset at the same time. This is not a limitation of the Sena 20S EVO but of the bike's audio bluetooth.
    Thanks for the info so far. This is certainly an unexpected characteristic of the RT's Audio and might be a deal breaker. I'll keep considering options........

Quote Originally Posted by stinkypete View Post
    Thanks for the info so far. This is certainly an unexpected characteristic of the RT's Audio and might be a deal breaker. I'll keep considering options........
    IIRC Only the BMW comms will connect for both rider and passenger.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

I spent some time with my local BMW and Sena dealer this afternoon, working to see if we could properly pair two Sena 20s Evo units with my BMW motorcycle. The BMW R1200RT bluetooth/audio capability would clearly only allow one Sena device to be paired, which was a disappointing outcome. I won't be buying a Sena, and the fact that the Sena 20s Evo is not waterproof was a second reason not to buy.

Thanks to all for your input.

Bernie's advice is the best advice. I have my bike set up this way (I listen to the GPS, XM (bikes radio) and hear the alerts from the V1), the only way to get better sound is to forget Bluetooth, hard wire.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    Bernie's advice is the best advice. I have my bike set up this way (I listen to the GPS, XM (bikes radio) and hear the alerts from the V1), the only way to get better sound is to forget Bluetooth, hard wire.

Jay
    Thanks Bernie and Jay.

I have a 2016 RT and SENA 20S for me and my wife. All Bluetooth pairing and audio features work as advertised; no problems, excellent audio output.

And have ridden in pouring rain multiple times over the last two years... no issues.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

I don't doubt that the Sena 20S is a good comm device.
    However Sena is very clear on this, their devices are water resistant, not waterproof. Even their expensive, top of the line, 30K.
    Sena will not replace a device due to water damage during it's warranty period while Cardo will.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

[QUOTE=patm;1147489
    ...Sena will not replace a device due to water damage during it's warranty period while Cardo will.[/QUOTE]

That's not my experience. Sena replaced my 10S in 2016 for exactly that reason. I rode through a torrential downpour, and the device did not work properly after that. I contacted Sena Customer Assistance, got an RMA, returned my 10S to Sena, and got a brand-new -- in the box -- 10S as a warranty replacement.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    That's not my experience. Sena replaced my 10S in 2016 for exactly that reason. I rode through a torrential downpour, and the device did not work properly after that. I contacted Sena Customer Assistance, got an RMA, returned my 10S to Sena, and got a brand-new -- in the box -- 10S as a warranty replacement.
    My comment was regarding the Sena 20S and 30K. Read the comments with this video.

Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

And listen to the comment at about 5:00

Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT