Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2016 RT - Sena 20s Evo

To finalise this enquiry from me, I've set up my RT coms using a Starcom1 Digital, which now meets all of my needs.

However, I did find this YouTube clip on setting up a Sena with a BMW, which might be helpful for others. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nB3JiPEqpQ

Quote Originally Posted by stinkypete View Post
    I spent some time with my local BMW and Sena dealer this afternoon, working to see if we could properly pair two Sena 20s Evo units with my BMW motorcycle. The BMW R1200RT bluetooth/audio capability would clearly only allow one Sena device to be paired, which was a disappointing outcome. I won't be buying a Sena, and the fact that the Sena 20s Evo is not waterproof was a second reason not to buy.

Thanks to all for your input.

My Sena 20s connects to the BMW on board system and to the other headset(s). I use the wired ear buds to enhance the music experience.
    Took me a long time to sort the technical stuff out with trail and error but Sena tech peeps tried their best.

2017 R1200RT BTW.
    Twist grip works both ways! Prior bikes (not in order of appearance): 2006 BMW 1200RS, 2006 K1200S,2015 R1200GSA,2014 K1600GT, 2007 FJR1300 (105,000 miles) 2014 TEX, 2009 C14, 2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (destroyed by a car) 2007 Honda CBR 1000RR (not destroyed by a car) 2005 FZ6

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Pat, I've seen those videos as well, but I don't plan on using my Sena while swimming. Like my raingear and helmet that both keep me dry, if I submerged either of them in water they would fail immediately or after a very short while. My need is for something that works when being properly used. ;-)

My experience has been the same as Reece's, my Sena units have been subjected to many torrential downpours at speed for long periods of time and I've never had an issue. I've had issues with "waterproof" 2-way radios, an older Garmin StreetPilot GPS, etc., but my Sena SMH10, SM10 (dual-stream wireless and wired Bluetooth for my 2-way, etc.), 20S EVO, and SPH10 have all given great service. And, like Mark, the two times that I've had to contact customer support they've been very helpful. Never had to return anything, just forgot how to connect something while I was on the road and they walked me through it quickly.

I replaced my primary SMH10 last year with the 20S EVO when I determined that the audio output to other units was breaking up on a regular basis. This was one of Sena's first units, revised from their very first ones and about 7 years old. It has been subjected to many all-day rides in very heavy rain while constantly being used without any issues.

My primary reason for staying away from Cardo and using Sena is that the Sena is simply far easier, for me, to use with a gloved-hand while riding, I found that the Cardo really sucked in that area, YMMV.

Being able to use my gear easily is always a primary consideration. I don't know if Cardo can now be used while it is being charged, but the Sena has always had that ability. Not normally an issue as the battery easily lasts a full riding day, but on one occassion my wall charger connection slipped out and didn't charge the unit and one other time I simply forgot to charge it overnight. On both occassions all I did was connect a powerstick to the Sena unit and stash it in my jacket pocket. All was fine. IIRC, Carl Reese spoke of this frustration with his Cardo system when he did his Cannonball Run in 2015. It is possible that Cardo have fixed that now. Also, both the Sena and Cardo can be operated by voice-commands, which will help with the terrible Cardo ergonomics for some, but I am getting too old to remember those voice commands, so I prefer a unit that is easily controlled by a gloved hand while riding.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Quote Originally Posted by jonr1200 View Post
    My Sena 20s connects to the BMW on board system and to the other headset(s). I use the wired ear buds to enhance the music experience.
    Took me a long time to sort the technical stuff out with trail and error but Sena tech peeps tried their best.

2017 R1200RT BTW.
    I understand from your post that you have been able to pair the bike's bluetooth music & radio audio output to both rider and pillion Sena 20s headsets. Well done! That's pretty good news, as I could only get one Sena 20s to pair with the bike, and therefore would be very keen to hear how you achieved it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonr1200 View Post

I understand from your post that you have been able to pair the bike's bluetooth music & radio audio output to both rider and pillion Sena 20s headsets. Well done! That's pretty good news, as I could only get one Sena 20s to pair with the bike, and therefore would be very keen to hear how you achieved it.
    I read the post by jonr1200 differently than you do. I see he paired his 20S headset to the bike and also paired the same 20S to OTHER headsets not paired his headset to the bike and paired ANOTHER headset to the same bike.
    2004 R1150RT 186,800 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 422,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieEcht View Post
    I installed the following system on my 2018 R1200RT-LC:
    I installed a MotoChello Speaker Bridge, which lets you select if the audio from the radio goes to the speakers or to an audio cable. I have this cable connected to a Sena SM10, which connects by Bluetooth to my Sena 20S.
    The Sena SM10 can connect to 2 different Sena Bluetooth headsets at the same time.
    My GPS Navigator 6 connects, as a phone, directly to my Sena 20S. I have my phone connected to the Nav 6 by Bluetooth.
    It has priority over the SM10, which means that the GPS will over ride the signal from the SM10.
    If you use a SR10 for your CB radio, it will have priority over the SM10. But the GPS will have top priority.
    You can pair up your phone instead of the GPS, if you have no need for directions from the GPS.
    And of course if you don't need either GPS directions or a phone linkup, your SR10 will be top priority over your music (SM10).
    Another benefit of using the Speaker Bridge, is that I can control the volume of the radio with the WonderWheel and I can get full stereo sound.
    The Bluetooth software/hardware installed on the bike is a older version, that doesn't transmit good sound.
    Let me know if you need more info.
    Bernie,

I own a 2016 RTW, and have a Shoei Neotec II with Sena SRL2.
    Do your comments apply equally to an SRL2, as opposed to your 20S?
    I care about Bluetooth to the phone and Nav, but not about the radio (SRL2 has a better radio built-in IMHO)

Andres

Quote Originally Posted by acools View Post
    Bernie,

I own a 2016 RTW, and have a Shoei Neotec II with Sena SRL2.
    Do your comments apply equally to an SRL2, as opposed to your 20S?
    I care about Bluetooth to the phone and Nav, but not about the radio (SRL2 has a better radio built-in IMHO)

Andres
    You could use the same setup, that I use, IF you want to listen to music from the BMW Radio.
    But, if you want to listen to music from another source, like phone or from the Sena Headset (FM), then don‘t waste the Mooney on the MotoChello speaker bridge.
    You can easily create a Bluetooth connection between the GPS Nav6 and your SRL2 or Sena 20S and at the same time have a second connection with your phone.
    Richard at RKA.com just released a updated video on how to connect the Sena units to the BMW bike and to the phones. Just search his website, I don‘t have the link at this moment.
    Bernie Echt
    2018 R1200RT-LC Alpenweiss, starting out fresh
    2007 R1200RT Double Silver sold (188702 Smiles), 2000 R11RT sold (105K)
    BMWSportTouring.com, Bumbling BackRoad Riders™, MOA#92589, BMWNEF, BMW-RA, AMA

I spent some time with my local BMW and Sena dealer this afternoon, working to see if we could properly pair two Sena 20s Evo units with my BMW motorcycle. The BMW R1200RT bluetooth/audio capability would clearly only allow one Sena device to be paired, which was a disappointing outcome. I won't be buying a Sena, and the fact that the Sena 20s Evo is not waterproof was a second reason not to buy.

Thanks to all for your input.
    I think a lot of people here do not realize the function of the 20S called music sharing. You can only connect 1 person to the bike audio...but that person can share the music wit the passenger. Therefor you are both listening to the bike audio at the same time. Read the sena manual about music sharing.

Ron
    IBA 45658 MOA167437
    728,482 miles on touring motorcycles

Total BMW miles 490,099

Quote Originally Posted by BernieEcht View Post
    You could use the same setup, that I use, IF you want to listen to music from the BMW Radio.
    But, if you want to listen to music from another source, like phone or from the Sena Headset (FM), then don‘t waste the Mooney on the MotoChello speaker bridge.
    You can easily create a Bluetooth connection between the GPS Nav6 and your SRL2 or Sena 20S and at the same time have a second connection with your phone.
    Richard at RKA.com just released a updated video on how to connect the Sena units to the BMW bike and to the phones. Just search his website, I don‘t have the link at this moment.
    Ok, thanks kindly for your response.

I don't use the BMW Radio, but I have the Nav IV and have configured Sena to phone and Sena to Nav.
    Wonder if the earlier Nav has an inferior Bluetooth as it doesn't always work, or one forces the other to drop.
    Just need to finangle the configuration a little.

Thanks for your time and attention.
    Andres

Played with this some. I have Sena SRL and Sena 30K. You can make things work with the Sena headsets and the BMW bike several different ways with different trade offs. One thing to note is you can only pair one Sena headset with the bike. The second headset option on the bike is disabled unless you use BMW hardware. For the SRL this worked for me.
    1. Clear paired headset info from bike and GPS(I have NAV V GPS)
    2. Factory Reset headset
    3. Clear Bluetooth connections related to bike gps and headset from phone(I have iPhone X)
    4. Pair phone 1 on Sena Srl to motorcycle through audio menus on Sena and wonder wheel on motorcycle.
    5. Pair GPS to Sena SRL phone selective pairing.
    6. Pair GPS to phone.
    Notes: as soon as SRL is paired to bike in step 4 bike audio can be heard through headset(loudspeaker must be off to push music through headset)

When phone is paired to GPS all gps connection indicators should be on(data, music, phone, headset). Phone pairing last will turn on the last three...before phone is paired only headset is illuminated. Media on GPS is disabled. Media bypasses gps, but you get media from the bike. You need the media part linked to hear phone through gps and to talk.

Richard Battles has great YouTube video showing how to do everything above. I followed his steps, but had to change order to get it to work for me on the GPS pairing part.

As for partner or second headset....they can pair headset to their phone and have their own media or media can be shared from drivers headset. Second headset pair to different phone and link to first headset works for me.

Again if you want to learn to talk Sena....Richard Battles YouTube video How to: Connect a SENA headset to your BMW, NAV V, & SmartPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk