• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Big Bend Country

Looks like you've discovered a SMALL part of the reason that Texas IS God's country !!!

Voni & Paul, nice travelogue. Thanks!

I've ridden across the Texas panhandle but have never made it to West Texas. You're helping to keep alive my scheme to eventually get there.

Great writeup! Big Bend is on my short list - this just makes me want to go all the more!

Hope you have a great escape and enjoy your time together!

Big Bend is on my 'to do' list and now more than ever. Thanks for posting the link - great report and pictures!

Glad y'all liked the page. If you have the time, follow the "click here" links, and the the links from those links. You can spend quite a bit of snowed-in time browsing if you want to. Some of this stuff fascinates me.

Suggestion

I highly recommend Big Bend during the winter months. The temperature during the summer is hot, sometimes very hot.

I recommend going to Marathon, TX, Lajitas, TX, and a half day trip to Terlingua, TX. Also, while you are in that part ot Texas, visit Langtry, TX, home of Judge Roy Bean.

Attachments

• DSC01118.JPG
    DSC01118.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 317
Wanderlust is alive!

PGlaves said:
Glad y'all liked the page. If you have the time, follow the "click here" links, and the the links from those links. You can spend quite a bit of snowed-in time browsing if you want to. Some of this stuff fascinates me.

Thanks for taking the time to share some of your adventure.

Now know where all the F650's have gone...the're on the road!

I guess that is Larry McMurtry country you are passing through, he is one of my favorite authors, enjoy your respite from your Kansas winter.

On your way home don't forget Archer City and its famous Dairy Queen (McMurtry's, Walter Benjaman at the Dairy Queen).

Here are some similar shots ...

Ft. Clark (Brackettville, TX) where the original movie "The Alamo" was filmed. Among other notables, Gen George Patton was stationed here.

Attachments

• a - Ft Clark Cavalry Qtrs.JPG
    a - Ft Clark Cavalry Qtrs.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Judge Roy Bean plaque

Attachments

• a - Judge Roy Bean Plaque.JPG
    a - Judge Roy Bean Plaque.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 301
Ft Davis was named for Jefferson Davis, Secretary of War and later President of the Confederate States of America. It was built to provide quarters to troops who were to protect travellers on the road from San Antonio to El Paso.

Attachments

• a - Ft Davis 2.JPG
    a - Ft Davis 2.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 295
The Davis Mountains surround the area around Ft. Davis. They offer a cool respite from the hot weather in the summer (about 10-20 degrees cooler than the surrounding lowlands).

Attachments

• a - Davis Mtns View.JPG
    a - Davis Mtns View.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 287
The scenic loop out of Ft Davis offers great scenery and some great curves too. This shot is approaching the mountainous part of the loop.

Attachments

• a - Ft Davis Loop 4.JPG
    a - Ft Davis Loop 4.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
i liked fort davis.

nm_37.jpg

when there, be sure to ride up to the observatory.

nm_87.jpg

then head for the guadalupe mts.

nm_106.jpg

nm_120.jpg

No ... chile relleno is battered.
This looks like a green chile on a hamburger ... with cheese.

You mean THIS observatory ... ??? :brow

Attachments

• a - McDonald Obs 1.JPG
    a - McDonald Obs 1.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 167
Mudbug said:
I highly recommend Big Bend during the winter months. The temperature during the summer is hot, sometimes very hot.

I recommend going to Marathon, TX, Lajitas, TX, and a half day trip to Terlingua, TX. Also, while you are in that part ot Texas, visit Langtry, TX, home of Judge Roy Bean.

My favorite movie! "This may not have been the way things were... but the way they should have been."

Voni and Paul - you all camped in the same place we did during our visit to Big Bend... what a great place to spend New Year's eve... not another soul in sight.

stillwell_texas.jpg

Thanks for the report!

Ian

gspd_plus.jpg

StevieWonder said:
No ... chile relleno is battered.
This looks like a green chile on a hamburger ... with cheese.

You mean THIS observatory ... ??? :brow

is that the same as this one? ;)

nm_88.jpg

Back