• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Getting a K1600 GT Sport - Questions

mehrten

Mehrten
Fellow 6 Owners,

Wanda and I are looking forward to our new 2019 K1600GT Sport!!!

Per our local shop, the second run of 2019s should happen in Dec or so and the bikes should be available in May or so.

The plan is to get it fully loaded. We'll take our first long ride out to Shasta for a RDL saddle.

A few questions:

What is the mpg of the sixes? I do understand that the rider's wrist has a lot to do with it.

I do the maintenance on our '08 K1200GT. Everything has to come off to get to anything.

Other than two more spark plugs, maintenance looks about the same as the K12/13s. Yes? No?

How's the tire mileage? Which brands are preferred? That's a very subjective question for sure.

We have three Beemers right now. Our '08 K1200GT with 130k plus very well taken care of miles will have to go :(

Anyone looking for an Aventurine Silver Metalic well loved '08 K1200GT?

Thanks.

Welcome from Minnesota!
Congrats on the new addition to your stable!
Nice motorcycle for sure.

I have a 2012 K16GT and can rely on 45 MPG on premium fuel.
Only maintenance I do are things like oil & filter changes, brake pads and the like.
Tank and side panels have to come off for air filter but easy. The 6 has two sumps so oil changes can be a bit tricky.
Plugs and valves are not easily accessible; requires removal of the radiator as well as other bits and pieces. Probably best left to the dealer.
Most plugs are going 36k and similar miles for valve adjustments.
I'm a Metzeler guy so thats what I run. Others of course will disagree. I get around 7k out of a set. I run them per book: 42F & 42R.
The motorcycle is straight forward. But I'm not familiar with the 19's.

Check out K1600Forum.com for some great info.

Good luck and ride safe.

Joe

I do the maintenance on our '08 K1200GT. Everything has to come off to get to anything.

Other than two more spark plugs, maintenance looks about the same as the K12/13s. Yes? No?

Changing plugs, checking valves and refilling the coolant with vacuum should be similar to the K1200/1300.
You probably know valve adjustments are rarely needed.

Valve adjustments are rarely needed, but to check the valve clearance is all day at the dealer. About $1,000 to check valve clearance, and $300-$400 more to change shims.

Other maintenance is pretty much on par with any other motorcycle. Oil and filters at the dealer are at a premium price. If you do your own service you can save a few $$.

"Welcome from Minnesota!
Congrats on the new addition to your stable!
Nice motorcycle for sure. Joe."

Joe,

Haven't got her yet! Hopefully the production run will be as planned.

40 plus mpg is good. Our '08 K1200GT gets 40 plus as well so trip planning won't change much in respect to gas fill-ups.

When you say two sumps you mean a tank with a "straw" and a drain plug? That would be similar to the K12/K13s.

I do the plugs and the valve checks on our K1200GT. Yup, lots of stuff has to come off, including the radiator.

If there is no difference other than the number of plugs I shouldn't have any trouble.

Considering the weight and power, 7,000 miles out of the tires isn't unreasonable. Riding two up 99.9% of the time, we get around 9,000 miles out of the Metzelers we've been using.

Thanks for the K16 forum link and for the info.

"Changing plugs, checking valves and refilling the coolant with vacuum should be similar to the K1200/1300.
You probably know valve adjustments are rarely needed. Lee"

Lee,

I have the Airlift tool that makes the radiator fill a bit easier. A nice hose clamp removal tool is also very helpful.

Getting those damn coils off the plugs even with a "special tool" is a hassle. Now there'll be six of those little devils.

Our '08 K1200GT's valves haven't moved in 130k miles even with the cam chain jumping two teeth on the drive sprocket some 90k miles ago.

While the bike is in warranty I'll leave any valve adjustments if needed to the shop. After the warranty runs out, with the right manual and the right tools why not.

Reading some previous K16 posts there was a thread on a cracked piston. That was some 6 years ago. Any pistons cracking in the newer versions?

Thanks for the info.

When you say two sumps you mean a tank with a "straw" and a drain plug? That would be similar to the K12/K13s.

It's hard to explain but the sump under the engine has two chambers.
Maybe someone can post a picture from the manual.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Looks like a couple of special tools may be called for.

The OEM Repair Manual is on the top of my Christmas wish list. Always good to have the factory manual.

Its not designed for the home/casual user.

The OEM manual assumes you are factory trained on certain aspects of the motorcycle and have the special tools needed to perform the service.

Most basic as well as advanced maintenance procedures are available online.

Joe

"Its not designed for the home/casual user.

The OEM manual assumes you are factory trained on certain aspects of the motorcycle and have the special tools needed to perform the service.

Most basic as well as advanced maintenance procedures are available online. Joe"

Joe,

Having all the torques and various how-tos along with RealOem.com to help with what goes where - the OEM RepRom is a good tool to have.

I have the OEM RepRom for our 2008 K1200GT, our 2002 K1200RS and our 2016 R1200RS. They are invaluable, in my opinion, when doing maintenance and/or repairs.

The latest versions can be loaded on a PC and are updatable.

I still search the web every so often for videos of various service procedures. More information is good to have.

Having all the torques and various how-tos along with RealOem.com to help with what goes where - the OEM RepRom is a good tool to have.

I have the OEM RepRom for our 2008 K1200GT, our 2002 K1200RS and our 2016 R1200RS. They are invaluable, in my opinion, when doing maintenance and/or repairs.

I still search the web every so often for videos of various service procedures. More information is good to have.

I agree. I've used the factory Repair Manual on our 03 K1200RSs, 2011 K1300Ss and 2016 R1200RSs.
On the R1200RS I also use the JVB Productions DVD.

"Its not designed for the home/casual user.

Most basic as well as advanced maintenance procedures are available online. Joe"

Joe,

I respectively disagree; wholeheartedly.

What kind of repairs/maintenance do you expect to be doing?

Joe

"I respectively disagree; wholeheartedly. Joe"

And that's your prerogative.

I'll stick with the OEM Repair Manual with some internet surfing.

BTW...

What mpg does your K16 get?

Which brand of tires do you have on your K16 and what kind of mileage do you get?

I had a 12 GT, great bike, other than tires I did my own service
Easy to service compared to 1200/1300K bikes
Go over to 1600 forum, a guy there RL Lemke makes a great drain plug for inner sump also another gentleman makes a laser cut filter tool, both are super
Mark Parns makes a super socket for front wheel removal
That was the extent of my special tools, other than a GS911
Mine came with Metzler tires which were shot at 3000 miles
Switched to PR3’s then 4’s they are good for 7-8000 depending on your right wrist
My first set of rear pads were shot at 3000 miles and dealer replaced them at no cost, finally at about 15000 miles replaced both front and rear
I did the 18000 service with the very much appreciated help of a master bmw tech. Parts cost which included plugs, valve cover gasket, oil and air filters, oil and antifreeze, brake fluid(get speed bleeders) and final drive gear oil was about $250
All valves were in spec which is a time saver for sure, being a shade tree mechanic it took about 6 hours from start to finish

"I respectively disagree; wholeheartedly. Joe"

And that's your prerogative.

I'll stick with the OEM Repair Manual with some internet surfing.

BTW...

What mpg does your K16 get?

Which brand of tires do you have on your K16 and what kind of mileage do you get?

Already answered in my first reply to your post.

Good luck!

Joe

Back