• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS or GSA?

I've owned both. Had a 2014 GSA and just recently switched to a 2018 GS. Main reasons were for the lighter weight and a change in riding style. The GSA was set up for off road riding but the GS is set up as a road bike. Plus while I loved not having to get fuel for a days ride, my older bladder could not keep up with the tank and I was stopping anyway after 2-3 hours of riding. So no big deal to now get gas at the same time. :)

Gas

Having had to turn around and go back for gas and caught in the rain too many times, I say go with the GSA.

Paul

Having had to turn around and go back for gas and caught in the rain too many times, I say go with the GSA.

Paul

What is the actual cause of having to go back for gas? Isn't it because you have only 50 miles of range remaining but the next gas is 60 miles? Aren't you equally likely to find yourself in that situation regardless of tank capacity?

I find that I ride trying to keep fuel range in mind. When I get low on fuel I plan a fuel stop. Except for frequency of stops it really doesn't matter whether I last filled up with 8 gallons or 5. It's range remaining that counts.

I have had to turn around for gas, mostly in areas I haven't ridden before.
We were riding in Montana and were thinking about gas. we rode through this little run down town and saw only one dumpy gas station and it was closed so we kept rolling. I plugged into the GPS gas along our route and it was maybe 50 miles so we just kept rolling. I got thinking and looked for gas again, Yep, 50 miles, but then I had the GPS calculate the route and we were about 100 miles away. Our route was making a big "U" turn around a small mountain range. Straight across as the crow flies was 50 miles, on the road it was 100. We turned around and went back to the dumpy gas station and pulled up to the pumps and looked around. Then I noticed a couple pumps around the side of the building, they had old school pay at the pump for diesel and 87 octane. A credit card reader mounted to a pole and a key pad to select the pump. We bought the 87 and got back on the road.

GS vs GSA

See if you can find a shop with both bikes and compare them side by side. I went to trade two old bikes for one newer one last month, found a shop selling a GS at a real good price. When I got there and noticed the GSA sitting next to it I got confused! After two days of comparing the price/options/and feel of both bikes, I opted to pay more for the GSA. It just has So Much More of everything. I'm a fairly big boy so I can flat foot the GSA standard height, but being a senior citizen with a bad back I initially found mounting and dismounting from the side stand a little challenging. Then somebody suggested mounting it like a horse and the side stand will handle the weight. Well, that was it.
As for the larger gas tank I have found that I can take two or three days worth of 'pleasure rides' without getting fuel first, where as with the 2018 Hayabusa and 2004 GS I traded, filling with fuel was always the first stop on any ride. It's just one less thing to worry about.

Pay a little more, get a LOT more value. GSA All The WAY!

Dave Ski
2016 GSA 2012 HD Road King 2000 GS

For me personally, I’d sooner have the lighter and less bulky bike...
Best,
DG

I rest my case. And others in this thread:

"and just recently switched to a 2018 GS. Main reasons were for the lighter weight..."
"+1, this exactly describes my reasoning in going with the GS."
"Biggest complaints I have with the GS is the lack of wind protection..."

BMW T1000GT--the smoothness of K1600, the ergos and comfort of R1200RT, and the weight of GS :dance

I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam and do not feel comfortable on a regular suspension GSA. I agree with previous poster that if you have 34" + inseam you should be good on the GSA.

As for gas, my GS' gets 200 miles per tank during aggressive riding. That is approximately 2 1/2 hours of riding time. For a "middle aged" guy like me, after 2 1/2 hours I'm ready to visit the boys room. Also does not hurt to get a quick stretch in.

If you are planning some serious off road riding and are a big guy I recommend the GSA. Otherwise, the GS is the choice.

Good luck!

The last time I stood, with a salesman, beside a GSA I asked where the heck I was supposed to haul the step stool. YMMV. :)

Back