Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GS or GSA?

TravelsWithBarley.com
    The fuel range issue has already been addressed. I'll just add that the GS and GSA have long legs and will likely have you thinking of riding to faraway places if that's not currently something that interests you.

The other point to consider is all the stuff that comes standard on the GSA. If you get a GS for the lighter weight and add aftermarket versions of the equipment that comes standard with the GSA, the price is about the same.

My first two BMWs were GSes, and I spent $$$ on accessories as my adventures took me further and further from home. After being forced to camp at a gas station on a Sunday evening waiting for it to open the next morning (having drained both my Rotopaxes and passed several abandoned gas stations that the GPS assured me were still in business), I traded to a GSA. I'm on my third GSA now. At 5'10" with a 30" inseam I've never had trouble with the height. I find it just as nimble as the GS, no longer have to take up valuable space for the Rotopax, enjoy the better wind protection, and find it very easy to reconfigure the bike for a variety of cargo-hauling needs.

Both are fine bikes. Both will do the job and in the end it comes down to finding the best match for your current and projected riding needs.

Ride safe!
    Pete
    '18 R1200GSA and '12 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

I have a 2017 GSA; Annie has a 2017 GS. It is a bit tiresome that we need to stop so often so she can get fuel, but she is worth it.

I had a Yamaha Super Tenere before the GSA. The GSA is much less top heavy and easier to handle than the ST at slow speeds or moving in the shop. Both bikes are quite easy to maintain and a joy to ride. I have a 20-30 inch inseam and can flat foot my lowered version GSA with the suspension in the lowest pre-load position, and feel comfortable with it set in the mid-range. Hard to go wrong no matter which you choose. As Pete alluded to, much of the cost and weight savings gained by buying the GS are quickly gone when you add crash bars and auxiliary lights.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by 1957mpd View Post
    I don't have the new TFT screen. The TFT is neat, but to me wasn't worth the extra $2.5K buying an '18 would have cost...
    I recently rode a demo BMW with the TFT and I could not see the display in bright sunlight. I passed on the bike for that, and other reasons. Hopefully the new colour TFTs will be more visible.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    I recently rode a demo BMW with the TFT and I could not see the display in bright sunlight. I passed on the bike for that, and other reasons. Hopefully the new colour TFTs will be more visible.
    My experience is exactly the opposite. My GPS vanishes in sunlight, but the TFT is crystal clear no matter what angle the sun is at.

28.jpg
    '18 R1200GSA and '12 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    My experience is exactly the opposite. My GPS vanishes in sunlight, but the TFT is crystal clear no matter what angle the sun is at.
    Maybe this has something to do with our eyewear, Dale. For riding, I have non progressive high quality glass, with a bit of tint. Also, most of the time, I can't see the digital display part of the instrument panel on my '05 ST. I don't wear any polarized eyewear anymore.

P.S. On further thought, the angle of our eyes to the display must have something to do with this.
    Last edited by Rinty; 11-09-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."