• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS or GSA?

flhfxd

Hi folks. Having struggled for over a year on which "brand new" bike I'm going to treat myself to, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on either the R12GS or the GSA version. I've looked at the new Gold Wing, the K1600, RT, KTM 1290 Adventure (NICE bike) and the Ducati Multi. So I'm looking for real world opinions (subjective, I know) on why choose one GS model over the other? In addition to my other bikes, this one will most likely end up being the daily rider; 30 mile highway commute to work, weekend warrior both on and off road, occasional camping / fishing trip, sudden and unexpected grocery store runs (which can take...HOURS! ... because I always get lost....:thumb..), etc.
Also, I'm generally suspicious of 1st year engine releases so I might hunt for a leftover 2018 model. Your thoughts and input are very much appreciated.
Cheers, Rol.

edit: with a nod to another ongoing thread, are these GS models made in Berlin?

The major difference between the two is obviously the fuel tanks and some equipment. Big thing too is weight as the GSA is heavier.
People sometimes complain about the weight of fuel but IMHO you don't always have to fill up the tank all the way either although I do as the extended range is amazing.
Also when traveling in very rural areas with gas stations being far and few it is nice to have that 8 gallon tank..
Either way you can't go wrong!

Hi folks. Having struggled for over a year on which "brand new" bike I'm going to treat myself to, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on either the R12GS or the GSA version. I've looked at the new Gold Wing, the K1600, RT, KTM 1290 Adventure (NICE bike) and the Ducati Multi. So I'm looking for real world opinions (subjective, I know) on why choose one GS model over the other? In addition to my other bikes, this one will most likely end up being the daily rider; 30 mile highway commute to work, weekend warrior both on and off road, occasional camping / fishing trip, sudden and unexpected grocery store runs (which can take...HOURS! ... because I always get lost....:thumb..), etc.
Also, I'm generally suspicious of 1st year engine releases so I might hunt for a leftover 2018 model. Your thoughts and input are very much appreciated.
Cheers, Rol.

edit: with a nod to another ongoing thread, are these GS models made in Berlin?

Hmmm...Quite the list of bikes under consideration.

Disclaimer, I'm 5' 8" & 170lbs with gear...

I've been GAS'ing over the new Wing; great bike, and now much more similar to the FJR I once owned...but I digress. I currently own a 2012 K16 and a 2015 GS Adventure. Both are EXCELLENT bikes, for different reasons. The K16 is a top heavy beast when standing still, but in motion, it's quite nimble. Absolutely love how smooth she feels, and the wind protection is also fabulous on the K16. In short, the K16 never leaves me wanting more when it comes to acceleration. The only gripes are its top heavy weight, and perhaps the smaller than expected saddle bags (compared to the FJR).

However, my go-to steed has been the GS Adventure. First, all GS models are EXCELLENT off-road, and comfortably decent on-pavement. The lower center of gravity was the first thing I noticed. However, the opposed twin and compliant suspension is perfect for fire-roads, and is surprisingly well adjusted when riding single-track or snow mobile trails. I chose the Adventure primarily for the extra miles between fill-ups (about 300 miles on a tank of gas), and the extra engine protection and lights that came standard. The three hard-bags offer plenty of room for those multi-day camping trips, and easy to remove for those trail rides. Oh, unsure about the newer K16's but I love the shift assist on the GS. Biggest complaints I have with the GS is the lack of wind protection, and it feels as though it's breathing/working heavily above 80-MPH. Nevertheless, there are NO intentions of letting the GSA go; she is an absolute dream and a perfect fit for a majority of my rides...now if I can just talk the wife into letting me trade the K16 for a new GW. ;)

Peace

"Hmmm...Quite the list of bikes under consideration."

I should clarify, having considered the long list of bikes above, I have decided on a GS or GSA. Hence the question.
Thx, Rol

I think it boils down to asking yourself some simple questions. How often, as in what percentage of the time, will you be traveling in areas where fuel is scarce or more than 190-200 miles between pumps? How much extra weight and physical bulk do you want to contend with the rest of the time? For me personally, I’d sooner have the lighter and less bulky bike for the 90+ percent of the time I don’t need the extra fuel, and add a Rotopax or similar carrier for the other 10% where fuel availability is an issue.

Best,
DG

Here's a pretty good thread from ADV Rider on the subject:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/indecision-gs-vs-gsa.1242950/

I think one of the biggest considerations for me when I've sat on both bikes is the height difference. I'm 5' 8" with a 32" inseam and the regular GS fit me pretty good (almost flat foot). The GSA...no way. I think you would need at least a 34" inseam on that bike (that is, unless you're a world class off road rider in which case it wouldn't matter).

Both are great bikes...good luck with your decision.

Both the GS and GSA are available with factory-lowered suspensions, so that needn't be an issue - unless you're planning on scraping pegs on public roads and want the extra lean angle, or plan on going offroad to places where, realistically, there are better choices than a 600-lb bike. I got a GSA mostly because I planned on taking it to Alaska. As it turns out, I could have done that trip on a GS, the furthest I ever went (during tourist season) without finding gas was 120 miles. Still I don't regret the bigger tank, kind of like a pilot who can't have too much runway ahead. Traveling after Labor Day when the tourist places start shutting down could be another story though.

I don't feel the GSA is any more top-heavy than the RT I traded, and it was better than the K1600 I had before that. Maybe if I'd been going from a GS to a GSA it'd bother me but as it is I'm fine. Just like my bike, I too have a lowered suspension (29" inseam) so I do need to be aware of where I'm stopping and where I'm putting my feet.

Your screen name appears to incorporate both Harley touring and dyna lines. I have both and also a sportster. My favorite bike is my Harley limited. My second favorite bike is my 2018 GSA 1200. I really like all of my bikes as I have a few others that I haven't named. However, the 2 that I ride the most are the Limited and GSA. I like the GSA because it is nimble like a sports bike but with better ergonomics. Also, I like its size. It is big, and I like that. I just have to find a more comfortable seat.
Charles

Went back 'n forth re: the same two bikes for several months before bringing home the GSA. It is bigger in all three dimensions - I think by about 1" - and weighs more, but I really like being able to mount up and ride for 4 solid hrs. On my long cross x-country journeys this summer my typical day was 8 hrs of riding, stopping just once for gas and then topping back up before putting her to bed for the night so I could launch the next day. But both bikes are really superb for anything from commuting (I ride 20 miles R/T to the university every day) to launching North to Denali or South to Patagonia. I bought an end-of-model-year '17 GSA to take advantage of BMW's incentive offer, so I don't have the new TFT screen. The TFT is neat, but to me wasn't worth the extra $2.5K buying an '18 would have cost. But now you have to decide whether to buy an end-of-year '18 R1200 GS/A at a discount or spring for a full MSRP '19 R1250 GS/A. That new engine's greater torque at much lower RPMs is very seductive....

Had an '08 GS that eventually got traded on the '12 GSA that I still have. For me height wasn't an issue but understand that it can be for some. My deciding factor was that I found roads (some even paved) that I couldn't take on the GS without carrying an extra fuel can. GSA that isn't an issue and I'll stick with it for trips. I found that the extra bulk and top heaviness of the GSA make it less pleasant as a daily rider or for trips around the block. I have another machine for a bar hopper and sportier rides so I'm good but my choice wouldn't be a GSA as primary ride compared to GS. That said, either is a great bike and you won't go wrong!

I think it boils down to asking yourself some simple questions. How often, as in what percentage of the time, will you be traveling in areas where fuel is scarce or more than 190-200 miles between pumps? How much extra weight and physical bulk do you want to contend with the rest of the time? For me personally, I’d sooner have the lighter and less bulky bike for the 90+ percent of the time I don’t need the extra fuel, and add a Rotopax or similar carrier for the other 10% where fuel availability is an issue.

Best,
DG

+1, this exactly describes my reasoning in going with the GS. I wanted some of the goodies that come with the GSA (crash bars, auxiliary lights) so I bought a used GS that already had those items. If you are buying a new bike it is probably worth factoring in the cost of accessories that you will want/need. I found the GSA windshield works better for me in cold/windy conditions but I bought one used for $100. I like the GSA brake pedal with its adjustability for off road riding, bought one new for I think $200. My total investments in accessories is only a few hundred dollars since I bought the bike and some of the accessories used, but if you are buying the bike and farkles new cost may be more of a factor.

I tossed a coin between GS and GSA and the GSA ended up in my stable. The main factor for me was the phenomenal fuel range. At 5'11" and a 32" inseam, I can most times stand flat-footed on my non-lowered bike. However, I find that I have to be more aware of the road condition, slope, etc. when coming to a stop. I dropped it a few weeks ago during a panic situation from a dead stop. No worries... a small scuff on the left hand guard and left crash bar was all the damage I had. I was able to pick the bike up by myself, and that was with about 5 gallons of gas in it. If I don't get any shorter with age, I'll probably ride this model forever.

I use to commute 130 miles total each day - gas stops get a little annoying...

30 miles x 2 = 60 miles per day, 300 miles per week. Let's say you ride 26 weeks out of the year - 7800 commuter miles. At 43 MPG(roughly according to Fuelly) it's going to take you ~182 gallons to do that mileage. You'll need ~35 stops for the 5.3 gallon GS and ~21 stops with the GSA. At 10 minutes per stop that's an extra 2 hours and 20 minutes per year spent fueling...

If you can handle the extra weight and price, I know which one I'd go with :brad

With the pathetic fuel range of my GS I get so much fueling practice that I have my gas stops down to 9 minutes. :):stick

The fuel range issue has already been addressed. I'll just add that the GS and GSA have long legs and will likely have you thinking of riding to faraway places if that's not currently something that interests you.

The other point to consider is all the stuff that comes standard on the GSA. If you get a GS for the lighter weight and add aftermarket versions of the equipment that comes standard with the GSA, the price is about the same.

My first two BMWs were GSes, and I spent $$$ on accessories as my adventures took me further and further from home. After being forced to camp at a gas station on a Sunday evening waiting for it to open the next morning (having drained both my Rotopaxes and passed several abandoned gas stations that the GPS assured me were still in business), I traded to a GSA. I'm on my third GSA now. At 5'10" with a 30" inseam I've never had trouble with the height. I find it just as nimble as the GS, no longer have to take up valuable space for the Rotopax, enjoy the better wind protection, and find it very easy to reconfigure the bike for a variety of cargo-hauling needs.

Both are fine bikes. Both will do the job and in the end it comes down to finding the best match for your current and projected riding needs.

Ride safe!
Pete

I have a 2017 GSA; Annie has a 2017 GS. It is a bit tiresome that we need to stop so often so she can get fuel, but she is worth it.

I had a Yamaha Super Tenere before the GSA. The GSA is much less top heavy and easier to handle than the ST at slow speeds or moving in the shop. Both bikes are quite easy to maintain and a joy to ride. I have a 20-30 inch inseam and can flat foot my lowered version GSA with the suspension in the lowest pre-load position, and feel comfortable with it set in the mid-range. Hard to go wrong no matter which you choose. As Pete alluded to, much of the cost and weight savings gained by buying the GS are quickly gone when you add crash bars and auxiliary lights.

I don't have the new TFT screen. The TFT is neat, but to me wasn't worth the extra $2.5K buying an '18 would have cost...

I recently rode a demo BMW with the TFT and I could not see the display in bright sunlight. I passed on the bike for that, and other reasons. Hopefully the new colour TFTs will be more visible.

I recently rode a demo BMW with the TFT and I could not see the display in bright sunlight. I passed on the bike for that, and other reasons. Hopefully the new colour TFTs will be more visible.

My experience is exactly the opposite. My GPS vanishes in sunlight, but the TFT is crystal clear no matter what angle the sun is at.

28.jpg

My experience is exactly the opposite. My GPS vanishes in sunlight, but the TFT is crystal clear no matter what angle the sun is at.

Maybe this has something to do with our eyewear, Dale. For riding, I have non progressive high quality glass, with a bit of tint. Also, most of the time, I can't see the digital display part of the instrument panel on my '05 ST. I don't wear any polarized eyewear anymore.

P.S. On further thought, the angle of our eyes to the display must have something to do with this.

Last edited:
Back