Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GS or GSA?

TravelsWithBarley.com
    The fuel range issue has already been addressed. I'll just add that the GS and GSA have long legs and will likely have you thinking of riding to faraway places if that's not currently something that interests you.

The other point to consider is all the stuff that comes standard on the GSA. If you get a GS for the lighter weight and add aftermarket versions of the equipment that comes standard with the GSA, the price is about the same.

My first two BMWs were GSes, and I spent $$$ on accessories as my adventures took me further and further from home. After being forced to camp at a gas station on a Sunday evening waiting for it to open the next morning (having drained both my Rotopaxes and passed several abandoned gas stations that the GPS assured me were still in business), I traded to a GSA. I'm on my third GSA now. At 5'10" with a 30" inseam I've never had trouble with the height. I find it just as nimble as the GS, no longer have to take up valuable space for the Rotopax, enjoy the better wind protection, and find it very easy to reconfigure the bike for a variety of cargo-hauling needs.

Both are fine bikes. Both will do the job and in the end it comes down to finding the best match for your current and projected riding needs.

Ride safe!
    Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

I have a 2017 GSA; Annie has a 2017 GS. It is a bit tiresome that we need to stop so often so she can get fuel, but she is worth it.

I had a Yamaha Super Tenere before the GSA. The GSA is much less top heavy and easier to handle than the ST at slow speeds or moving in the shop. Both bikes are quite easy to maintain and a joy to ride. I have a 20-30 inch inseam and can flat foot my lowered version GSA with the suspension in the lowest pre-load position, and feel comfortable with it set in the mid-range. Hard to go wrong no matter which you choose. As Pete alluded to, much of the cost and weight savings gained by buying the GS are quickly gone when you add crash bars and auxiliary lights.
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl
    2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Quote Originally Posted by 1957mpd View Post
    I don't have the new TFT screen. The TFT is neat, but to me wasn't worth the extra $2.5K buying an '18 would have cost...
    I recently rode a demo BMW with the TFT and I could not see the display in bright sunlight. I passed on the bike for that, and other reasons. Hopefully the new colour TFTs will be more visible.
    Rinty

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    I recently rode a demo BMW with the TFT and I could not see the display in bright sunlight. I passed on the bike for that, and other reasons. Hopefully the new colour TFTs will be more visible.
    My experience is exactly the opposite. My GPS vanishes in sunlight, but the TFT is crystal clear no matter what angle the sun is at.

28.jpg
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    My experience is exactly the opposite. My GPS vanishes in sunlight, but the TFT is crystal clear no matter what angle the sun is at.
    Maybe this has something to do with our eyewear, Dale. For riding, I have non progressive high quality glass, with a bit of tint. Also, most of the time, I can't see the digital display part of the instrument panel on my '05 ST. I don't wear any polarized eyewear anymore.

P.S. On further thought, the angle of our eyes to the display must have something to do with this.
    Last edited by Rinty; 11-09-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    Rinty

I've owned both. Had a 2014 GSA and just recently switched to a 2018 GS. Main reasons were for the lighter weight and a change in riding style. The GSA was set up for off road riding but the GS is set up as a road bike. Plus while I loved not having to get fuel for a days ride, my older bladder could not keep up with the tank and I was stopping anyway after 2-3 hours of riding. So no big deal to now get gas at the same time.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

2018 R1200GS
    2018 Vespa GTS 300 Super

Gas

Having had to turn around and go back for gas and caught in the rain too many times, I say go with the GSA.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mslacool View Post
    Having had to turn around and go back for gas and caught in the rain too many times, I say go with the GSA.

Paul
    What is the actual cause of having to go back for gas? Isn't it because you have only 50 miles of range remaining but the next gas is 60 miles? Aren't you equally likely to find yourself in that situation regardless of tank capacity?

I find that I ride trying to keep fuel range in mind. When I get low on fuel I plan a fuel stop. Except for frequency of stops it really doesn't matter whether I last filled up with 8 gallons or 5. It's range remaining that counts.
    '17.5 R1200GS
    Priors: '16 R1200R, '14 R1200GS, '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5 (LWB).

I have had to turn around for gas, mostly in areas I haven't ridden before.
    We were riding in Montana and were thinking about gas. we rode through this little run down town and saw only one dumpy gas station and it was closed so we kept rolling. I plugged into the GPS gas along our route and it was maybe 50 miles so we just kept rolling. I got thinking and looked for gas again, Yep, 50 miles, but then I had the GPS calculate the route and we were about 100 miles away. Our route was making a big "U" turn around a small mountain range. Straight across as the crow flies was 50 miles, on the road it was 100. We turned around and went back to the dumpy gas station and pulled up to the pumps and looked around. Then I noticed a couple pumps around the side of the building, they had old school pay at the pump for diesel and 87 octane. A credit card reader mounted to a pole and a key pad to select the pump. We bought the 87 and got back on the road.

GS vs GSA

See if you can find a shop with both bikes and compare them side by side. I went to trade two old bikes for one newer one last month, found a shop selling a GS at a real good price. When I got there and noticed the GSA sitting next to it I got confused! After two days of comparing the price/options/and feel of both bikes, I opted to pay more for the GSA. It just has So Much More of everything. I'm a fairly big boy so I can flat foot the GSA standard height, but being a senior citizen with a bad back I initially found mounting and dismounting from the side stand a little challenging. Then somebody suggested mounting it like a horse and the side stand will handle the weight. Well, that was it.
    As for the larger gas tank I have found that I can take two or three days worth of 'pleasure rides' without getting fuel first, where as with the 2018 Hayabusa and 2004 GS I traded, filling with fuel was always the first stop on any ride. It's just one less thing to worry about.

Pay a little more, get a LOT more value. GSA All The WAY!

Dave Ski
    2016 GSA 2012 HD Road King 2000 GS

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    For me personally, Id sooner have the lighter and less bulky bike...
    Best,
    DG
    I rest my case. And others in this thread:

"and just recently switched to a 2018 GS. Main reasons were for the lighter weight..."
    "+1, this exactly describes my reasoning in going with the GS."
    "Biggest complaints I have with the GS is the lack of wind protection..."

BMW T1000GT--the smoothness of K1600, the ergos and comfort of R1200RT, and the weight of GS

I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam and do not feel comfortable on a regular suspension GSA. I agree with previous poster that if you have 34" + inseam you should be good on the GSA.

As for gas, my GS' gets 200 miles per tank during aggressive riding. That is approximately 2 1/2 hours of riding time. For a "middle aged" guy like me, after 2 1/2 hours I'm ready to visit the boys room. Also does not hurt to get a quick stretch in.

If you are planning some serious off road riding and are a big guy I recommend the GSA. Otherwise, the GS is the choice.

Good luck!

The last time I stood, with a salesman, beside a GSA I asked where the heck I was supposed to haul the step stool. YMMV.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The last time I stood, with a salesman, beside a GSA I asked where the heck I was supposed to haul the step stool. YMMV.
    +1 on that!!!