Thread: Returning to riding

Returning to riding

Hello all,

After not owning a bike for many years I was looking online at used bikes (just for grins) and came across this beauty, a 2003 R1150RT with about 45k miles. I took it for a test ride and had to have it. What a ride! It's the most sure-footed I've ever ridden, and I have to work hard to keep from going way too fast (it seems to "want" to go 80 mph on the highway).

My first bike was a Suzuki GS550 and I thought it handled well. My second bike was Honda CB900C, and it didn't handle very well but it liked the open highway. This R1150RT has the stability and nimbleness of the small Suzuki and the open highway power and good manners of the bigger Honda.

I've only been riding my beemer for a couple days but I'm loving it and praying for mild weather to continue here in Northeast Ohio for a while

And I have to tell you, this website and forum has been a God-send. There's a lot to know and learn about these machines, and learning from others who've been there and done that is terrific.

MyR1150RT.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome back to riding. Safe travels!
    Roland

Great looking and clean bike. Way to go!
    Welcome aboard.

Welcome to the forum! And because we all care about you, please take a refresher safety riding course. Riding today's machines and in today's traffic is not like it was "many years ago" and the experts, and statistics, show that the first six months on two wheels is especially dangerous.

good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Welcome to the forum! And because we all care about you, please take a refresher safety riding course. Riding today's machines and in today's traffic is not like it was "many years ago" and the experts, and statistics, show that the first six months on two wheels is especially dangerous.

good luck.
    Thanks for the encouragement on the safety riding course. I've been looking for classes near me and not finding much. The "Motorcycle Ohio" program offers a returning rider course, but the schedule is pretty sparse this time of year. I'm definitely going to take a class at my first opportunity.