• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Legendary Motorcycles of Germany

I have to admit I have not heard anything great about the NC700, but the 500X really is a brilliant smaller bike. It has a very active following, too.... mostly younger and less-experienced riders.

My oldest son (26) but his first bike this year. He really wanted a Ducati monster, but luckily listened to me and got a reasonable first bike, a 500X. Not a lot of power but easy to handle and he now is happy he bought it. He figures he will keep it for a couple of years and then get a larger bike when he is more comfortable and more experienced. When he is ready for a new bike I am going to buy the 500X off him for putting around town.

Brian

Legendary

I've noticed that about every 6 months a thread fires up about how great all things BMW used to be in the "old" days. The thread inevitably has contributions from riders who think BMW should build smaller / lighter bikes while ignoring the mid-sized GS series or the R Nine T. The lament continues about maintenance costs and reliability while also ignoring the fact that many riders like myself have never had a part fail, excepting in my case a coil and a couple of headlight bulbs, in 10 years of riding. Then the comparisons to Japanese bikes start (in this case, the thoroughly horrible NC700) while again ignoring the fact that BMW is coming off a number of years of record sales so I'm guessing Germany must be doing something right. The day BMW starts building bikes using old technology is the day they start competing with Harley for a shrinking demographic of riders.

So, if you want an airhead-like bike then buy an airhead. There are many fine examples out there for reasonable prices.

I have one suggestion for all the naysayers - this is life as we now know it, there is no going back, so get used to it and quit yer whining. :D

Every time I lament the good old days, I remember going through a museum in Colorado that showcased an earlier life. When you get to the old dentist office (with the stone age drilling equipment), I'm glad I live in modern times.

Best of both world's is a R90s Airhead and a modern fuel injected twin.

RickR90s

I have one suggestion for all the naysayers - this is life as we now know it, there is no going back, so get used to it and quit yer whining. :D

I believe I am getting used to it.... after about 10-12 different BMWs over 45 years, I believe I've bought my last one. BMW knows all about customers like me.

I have about zero use for over-weight, highly-complex and exceptionally-expensive-to-own motorcycles. BMW is just going the wrong way for me.

That said, I will probably keep the ones I have. :thumb

I believe I am getting used to it.... after about 10-12 different BMWs over 45 years, I believe I've bought my last one. BMW knows all about customers like me.

I have about zero use for over-weight, highly-complex and exceptionally-expensive-to-own motorcycles. BMW is just going the wrong way for me.
:thumb

I’m of a similar mindset, but with only about 38 years of BMW ownership.
I have absolutely no interest in a BMW motorcycle with a Chinese engine.

Hopefully this is just a temporary mistake on BMW’s part, like they did back in the 80’s when they announced the end of the R100 boxers, only to bring them back four years later due to customer demand.

Time will tell but I can’t wait four years for a new, smaller and lighter shaft-drive boxer.

Maybe BMW will surprise us ...

Time will tell but I can’t wait four years for a new, smaller and lighter shaft-drive boxer.

20/20 hindsight, I should have just reduced the suspension height on my HP2e... I still would have had 7-8" clearance and could reach the ground on a 425lb/110hp hooligan tool. :nod

As a long time BMW enthusiast it is disappointing to see them sourcing engines and complete motorcycles from 3rd party suppliers known not for best quality, but lowest cost.
To add insult to injury BMW is maintaining their European price points on these new bikes AND their replacement parts.

Consider for example, if a Loncin copy of a Honda engine is “almost as good” as a real Honda but less than half the price, why should a Loncin copy of a BMW engine honestly be expected to be any different?

What am I missing here?

TO GET BACK ON TOPIC....

We live in a world economy now. To quote Raghuram Rajan, "We are in a world where we don't know the fundamental value of any asset." Buick Regals made in Germany? None of it makes any sense to me, but I'm not quite ready to crawl under a rock, but sometimes I think i'm headed in that direction.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/04/05/surprise-general-motors-all-new-buick-regal-isnt-a.aspx

E.

Bmw

When I discovered BMW in the early 80's, I took pride in knowing that my bike (74 R90s) was made in Germany, engineered in Germany, tested in Germany and proven in the real world. I felt I could identify with their passion for producing a unique, high quality product.

My brother's rode Harley's and they were equally passionate, knowing that their bikes were made in the USA, by engineer's in Milwaukee.

The world economy has it's benefit's and one can't argue that quality is certainly a by-product, but I believe the long term success of any company hinges in some part on the passion, devotion and enthusiasm of it's customer base.

And that I believe is definitely waning.

RPGR90s

When I discovered BMW in the early 80's, I took pride in knowing that my bike (74 R90s) was made in Germany, engineered in Germany, tested in Germany and proven in the real world. I felt I could identify with their passion for producing a unique, high quality product.

My brother's rode Harley's and they were equally passionate, knowing that their bikes were made in the USA, by engineer's in Milwaukee.

The world economy has it's benefit's and one can't argue that quality is certainly a by-product, but I believe the long term success of any company hinges in some part on the passion, devotion and enthusiasm of it's customer base.

RPGR90s

That's a realistic assessment of economics I can relate with.

Thanks.

My son's a (former) Marine going to college on the GI bill. Got his M/C endorsement and his first bike last year...a BMW G310R. He's a BMW/German fanatic in all ways (drives a 12 year old 3 series, studying German), and yet he's not bothered at all that his bike wasn't actually made in Germany. He's just happy that he's got a bike that, for him, has been great to ride and only cost a shade under $5K. He wants to graduate to, probably, an R12R someday when he can afford it, so it's serving its purpose as an affordable intro to the brand.

Last edited:
My son's an ex-Marine going to college on the GI bill. Got his M/C endorsement and his first bike last year...a BMW G310R. He's a BMW/German fanatic in all ways (drives a 12 year old 3 series, studying German), and yet he's not bothered at all that his bike wasn't actually made in Germany. He's just happy that he's got a bike that, for him, has been great to ride and only cost a shade under $5K. He wants to graduate to, probably, an R12R someday when he can afford it, so it's serving its purpose as an affordable intro to the brand.

There are NO ex marines, only former marines./ :)

Don't let your son hear you call him an ex. And tell him semper fi from another rider. :thumb

There are NO ex marines, only former marines./ :)

Don't let your son hear you call him an ex. And tell him semper fi from another rider. :thumb

LOL - I stand corrected. After my 30 years as a submariner & lots of time around the Corps you think I'd know better...

RPGR90s

The MOA, RA, and local clubs deserve a lot of credit for generating and maintaining enthusiasm among club members. With the different BMW models and varied rider interests this has not been easy the past few years, but the clubs still have a lot to offer and are one reason I’ve stuck with BMW so long.

Also, even though they lack many modern features, classic BMW motorcycles can still be very enjoyable. An older BMW made in Germany might serve most of my local riding and club affiliation needs, with an inexpensive but reliable Japanese bike as backup for those occasional longer trips.

I’m still hoping for a new, mid-size shaft-drive boxer from Germany (or even Japan), though. Japanese Marusho built a shaft-drive boxer years ago. Anyone remember those?

Bmw

Also, even though they lack many modern features, classic BMW motorcycles can still be very enjoyable. An older BMW made in Germany might serve most of my local riding and club affiliation needs, with an inexpensive but reliable Japanese bike as backup for those occasional longer trips.

I concur. I've rediscovered the enjoyment of riding my '74 R90s this past summer. My R1150RT developed some weird electrical issues that I'm still dealing with so I did some late fall trips on the old bike. What it lacks in modern performance, it more than makes up for in character, lightness, ease of handling and above all, solid reliability.

On a Sept trip to Hocking Hills, it started idling pretty rough so I pulled the front cover to find the points gap closed down to .006". Reset it back to .016" and it ran like new the rest of the trip.

Lots to be said for old style carburetors, points.

RPGR90s

"Lots to be said for old style carburetors, points."

A whole lot to be said.

Simplicity = Reliability + Self Sufficiency

Wasn't the first tool given an apprentice machinist in Germany a file? If you couldn't file a thousandth flat, how could you machine anything? Prediction, airheads ain't going away. They may, in fact, even with all their warts, be the pinnacle of motorad's achievements. Or maybe the K bikes were the last before the cookie cutters. There's always something close to handmade that approaches an art.

Almost forgot, have a quiet, enjoyable Thanksgiving.

Back