Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: The Legendary Motorcycles of Germany

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    Wasn't the first tool given an apprentice machinist in Germany a file? If you couldn't file a thousandth flat, how could you machine anything? Prediction, airheads ain't going away. They may, in fact, even with all their warts, be the pinnacle of motorad's achievements. Or maybe the K bikes were the last before the cookie cutters. There's always something close to handmade that approaches an art.

Almost forgot, have a quiet, enjoyable Thanksgiving.
    I would mostly agree. To that I would also add the early oilheads. My RSL is production number 685 in '93 and I would take it to any new gizmo heavy motorcycle made in der fatherland today.
    Jammess

'93 R1100RSL, '10 FJR1300A
    MOA # 50714

Quote Originally Posted by jammess View Post
    I would mostly agree. To that I would also add the early oilheads. My RSL is production number 685 in '93 and I would take it to any new gizmo heavy motorcycle made in der fatherland today.
    Voni is still riding RS #167 at just over 412,000 miles.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I understand the love of carburetors and breaker points, but mark me down for one that loves EFI and electronic ignition. I had motorcycles with both and I have no plans to go back to the earlier fuel distribution and spark production. I like that I can touch the start button and the engine rumbles to life consistently every time. I would rather ride than do maintenance. Break downs with the electronics? Rarely happens these days. I have put over 200,000 miles on motorcycles in the last couple decades and have never been let down by electronics. In the past I have had to putz with points or carburetors more often than I like.
    Last edited by PoorUB; 12-04-2018 at 12:39 AM.

Registered User Blacque Jacque Shellacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Voni is still riding RS #167 at just over 412,000 miles.

That is just such a ridiculous number of miles! That sure adds up to a lot of tires and oil changes. She has a great service department taking care of her.