• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

LT info

aldejoria

Where might good LT info be? I have a friend with a 99 LT that’s been sitting for a while. I’d like to help get her dusted off and back on the road. Just wondering if there are any quirks or problems we may encounter getting her running. Thanks in advance!

Al

I'm assuming that you mean a K1200LT, although they also made a K1100LT. Both are "Flying Brick" Kbikes. You will find that section a few lines below the Motorad section is that you posted this question in. Post your questions there to get responses from other "light truck" owners".

Please include year and model IN THE TITLE ('99 K1200LT) when posting in that section as it helps attract more specific responses and aids in future searches.

:dance:dance:dance

I have a friend with a 99 LT that’s been sitting for a while. I’d like to help get her dusted off and back on the road.

You talking about your friend or the bike? :D

But seriously, Lee has you pointed in the right direction. :thumb

Take a look at the You Tube videos done by the Illinois BMW Riders. One of the contributors does his videos on his K12LT, so lots of good info there. The K-LT also shares a lot of components and procedures with the R1100RT, so those will apply too or at least be close.

BMW K bikes do not like to sit for long periods of time. I know for sure that K75, K100, and K1100 bikes that sit with stale fuel get clogged fuel pumps and clogged fuel injectors. I suspect, but do not know for sure that this also applies to K1200LT bikes. So trying to bring one back to life starts with the fuel pump and injectors. I remove fuel pumps and bench test them. If they don't spin they get soaked in solvent for a while. Sometimes this works; sometimes it doesn't. Clogged injectors can be sent off for professional cleaning. If you happen to have a good ultrasound machine some soaking can contribute to the success of the professionals.

Take a look at the YouTube videos done by the Illinois BMW Riders. One of the contributors does his videos on his K12LT, so lots of good info there. The K-LT also shares a lot of components and procedures with the R1100RT, so those will apply too or at least be close.

I agree. Though I don't have an LT, I found his videos extremely informative. In my case not so much for the LT-specific info but for the general mechanical tips. Illinois BMW riders Youtube channel

Thank you guys very much. All very good info, I appreciate it. Looking forward to getting her on the road again!!

Back