Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: New Member looking for the right Pre owned BMW

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Moline.IL.
    Posts
    6

    New Member looking for the right Pre owned BMW

    Hello, I started realizing that I need to get a motorcycle after not having one for the last four years. My motorcycles for 30 years have been Goldwings .The wife and I enjoyed touring the country and put many miles on those bikes.I am now looking for a lighter motorcycle that will still be comfortable and secure feeling for her and still has muscle enough to get us through traffic quick.So far I have test ridden a 2003 r 1150 r which I really didn't care for and a 2004 r 1150 rt that I really liked but lacked a backrest,sound system and heated seat.Our future rides will be shorter and I like the idea of a lighter mc to deal with too.If anyone has suggestions for models and or model years to look at please let me know.Thank you. Ride safe.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    13
    Mofun77,

    A lot depends on the price range you have set for purchasing a Beemer. I went from a 2009 GL1800 to a 2018 R1200RT and the RT is one of the best bikes for how I and my wife now ride, which sounds like your riding description. Since we were no longer taking multi-thousand miles trips the GL had become too heavy for my taste even though in my opinion it had no competition for eating up the interstate miles. With the 1200RT we have the option of long distance travel as well as the joy of riding the NC and other twisties on a great tool for that job, As far as the missing back rest consider either finding a bike with the top trunk (or just finding a top trunk to add to the bike) If you buy a newer RT you can purchase an after market backrest designed and produced for the bike by a fellow Beemer owner. It's top quality, works great and is easily removed to allow the top box to be put on the bike. Here are a couple pictures of the back rest after it was installed on my bike:
    Back Rest - Dan.jpg Back Rest rear view.jpg
    He also makes them for the K bikes as well.

  3. #3
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    19,462
    Welcome, mofun77! From what I have been able to read, the R1200RT later models seem to really be popular, having the ability to go short or long distances. The K1600 would more like the Goldwing but will also be heavy as well. Still worth a try to ride either of these models.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  4. #4
    IBA# 5819 61996's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    3,766
    The K1600B is the ticket for your needs.

    Joe
    ďFate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    13
    The specs I found say the K1600B weighs in at 741 pounds and the R1200RT weighs in at 604 pounds. Either one is a lot lighter than your Winger was. Ride each and you"ll know for sure.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Moline.IL.
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by motorhead1977 View Post
    Mofun77,

    A lot depends on the price range you have set for purchasing a Beemer. I went from a 2009 GL1800 to a 2018 R1200RT and the RT is one of the best bikes for how I and my wife now ride, which sounds like your riding description. Since we were no longer taking multi-thousand miles trips the GL had become too heavy for my taste even though in my opinion it had no competition for eating up the interstate miles. With the 1200RT we have the option of long distance travel as well as the joy of riding the NC and other twisties on a great tool for that job, As far as the missing back rest consider either finding a bike with the top trunk (or just finding a top trunk to add to the bike) If you buy a newer RT you can purchase an after market backrest designed and produced for the bike by a fellow Beemer owner. It's top quality, works great and is easily removed to allow the top box to be put on the bike. Here are a couple pictures of the back rest after it was installed on my bike:
    Back Rest - Dan.jpg Back Rest rear view.jpg
    He also makes them for the K bikes as well.
    Those look really good. As for price range I have found there are some 10 to 15 yr old bikes with low mileage that can be had for under 5k .We have gone back and forth between wings and miatas but this time we are keeping the miata.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Moline.IL.
    Posts
    6

    Update MC Purchased

    Purchased a 01 R1100RT with 25k on it. Do BMW wave at each other as much as Wingers do ? If so where is the best place to mount the auto wave back button. But seriously thanks for your support.

  8. #8
    Registered User m_stock10506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Trinity, NC
    Posts
    789
    Congrats on your new to you R1100RT. They are wonderful bikes and fairly easy to work on. Taking the fairing off and back on seems daunting at the beginning but becomes straightforward later. Post a photo.

    There are several maintenance items on these bikes that should be done. If you have reliable history, determine what’s been done and what you have to plan on.

    Such low mileage... I’m a little bit jealous.

    My, RT, 2001 R1100RT 188k miles.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Moline.IL.
    Posts
    6

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    Congrats on your new to you R1100RT. They are wonderful bikes and fairly easy to work on. Taking the fairing off and back on seems daunting at the beginning but becomes straightforward later. Post a photo.

    There are several maintenance items on these bikes that should be done. If you have reliable history, determine whatís been done and what you have to plan on.

    Such low mileage... Iím a little bit jealous.

    My, RT, 2001 R1100RT 188k miles.
    Looking forward getting some more fun trips with whatever we have left in the tank.We both think about some of the miles we have ridden comes up often.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    13
    Fantastic! Glad to see you got the bike! Post a pic so everyone else can see how clean it is.👍👌 Hope you get some riding in before the snow gods descend on you.

  11. #11

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    13
    Great! These larger pics are much clearer than the ones I saw from when you were looking at it. Have you gotten to ride or did winter arrive on the heels of it being delivered? Quick note: The power port is a BMW size so anything you have from the GL that used a "cigarette lighter plug" will require and adapter to BMW size. They are available at fairly low cost on the interweb. Good luck.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Moline.IL.
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by motorhead1977 View Post
    Great! These larger pics are much clearer than the ones I saw from when you were looking at it. Have you gotten to ride or did winter arrive on the heels of it being delivered? Quick note: The power port is a BMW size so anything you have from the GL that used a "cigarette lighter plug" will require and adapter to BMW size. They are available at fairly low cost on the interweb. Good luck.
    It was really cold yesterday so just short test rides so far.Came with a heated vest so now all it needs are snow tires.Going to be a lot of fun.

  14. #14
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    5,166
    The RT looks like it's in great condition
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Similar Threads

  1. I've never owned...
    By 26667 in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-11-2017, 02:49 PM
  2. Have you ever owned a VW Beetle?
    By kbasa in forum Campfire
    Replies: 218
    Last Post: 03-17-2015, 01:58 PM
  3. Member-Owned B&B in SE Ohio
    By Sue in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 03:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •