• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member looking for the right Pre owned BMW

mofun77

Hello, I started realizing that I need to get a motorcycle after not having one for the last four years. My motorcycles for 30 years have been Goldwings .The wife and I enjoyed touring the country and put many miles on those bikes.I am now looking for a lighter motorcycle that will still be comfortable and secure feeling for her and still has muscle enough to get us through traffic quick.So far I have test ridden a 2003 r 1150 r which I really didn't care for and a 2004 r 1150 rt that I really liked but lacked a backrest,sound system and heated seat.Our future rides will be shorter and I like the idea of a lighter mc to deal with too.If anyone has suggestions for models and or model years to look at please let me know.Thank you. Ride safe.

Mofun77,

A lot depends on the price range you have set for purchasing a Beemer. I went from a 2009 GL1800 to a 2018 R1200RT and the RT is one of the best bikes for how I and my wife now ride, which sounds like your riding description. Since we were no longer taking multi-thousand miles trips the GL had become too heavy for my taste even though in my opinion it had no competition for eating up the interstate miles. With the 1200RT we have the option of long distance travel as well as the joy of riding the NC and other twisties on a great tool for that job, As far as the missing back rest consider either finding a bike with the top trunk (or just finding a top trunk to add to the bike) If you buy a newer RT you can purchase an after market backrest designed and produced for the bike by a fellow Beemer owner. It's top quality, works great and is easily removed to allow the top box to be put on the bike. Here are a couple pictures of the back rest after it was installed on my bike:
Back Rest - Dan.jpg Back Rest rear view.jpg
He also makes them for the K bikes as well.

Welcome, mofun77! From what I have been able to read, the R1200RT later models seem to really be popular, having the ability to go short or long distances. The K1600 would more like the Goldwing but will also be heavy as well. Still worth a try to ride either of these models.

The specs I found say the K1600B weighs in at 741 pounds and the R1200RT weighs in at 604 pounds. Either one is a lot lighter than your Winger was. Ride each and you"ll know for sure.

Mofun77,

A lot depends on the price range you have set for purchasing a Beemer. I went from a 2009 GL1800 to a 2018 R1200RT and the RT is one of the best bikes for how I and my wife now ride, which sounds like your riding description. Since we were no longer taking multi-thousand miles trips the GL had become too heavy for my taste even though in my opinion it had no competition for eating up the interstate miles. With the 1200RT we have the option of long distance travel as well as the joy of riding the NC and other twisties on a great tool for that job, As far as the missing back rest consider either finding a bike with the top trunk (or just finding a top trunk to add to the bike) If you buy a newer RT you can purchase an after market backrest designed and produced for the bike by a fellow Beemer owner. It's top quality, works great and is easily removed to allow the top box to be put on the bike. Here are a couple pictures of the back rest after it was installed on my bike:
View attachment 71470 View attachment 71471
He also makes them for the K bikes as well.

Those look really good. As for price range I have found there are some 10 to 15 yr old bikes with low mileage that can be had for under 5k .We have gone back and forth between wings and miatas but this time we are keeping the miata.

Update MC Purchased

Purchased a 01 R1100RT with 25k on it. Do BMW wave at each other as much as Wingers do ? If so where is the best place to mount the auto wave back button. But seriously thanks for your support.

Congrats on your new to you R1100RT. They are wonderful bikes and fairly easy to work on. Taking the fairing off and back on seems daunting at the beginning but becomes straightforward later. Post a photo.

There are several maintenance items on these bikes that should be done. If you have reliable history, determine what’s been done and what you have to plan on.

Such low mileage... I’m a little bit jealous.

My, RT, 2001 R1100RT 188k miles.

Thanks

Congrats on your new to you R1100RT. They are wonderful bikes and fairly easy to work on. Taking the fairing off and back on seems daunting at the beginning but becomes straightforward later. Post a photo.

There are several maintenance items on these bikes that should be done. If you have reliable history, determine what’s been done and what you have to plan on.

Such low mileage... I’m a little bit jealous.

My, RT, 2001 R1100RT 188k miles.

Looking forward getting some more fun trips with whatever we have left in the tank.We both think about some of the miles we have ridden comes up often.

Fantastic! Glad to see you got the bike! Post a pic so everyone else can see how clean it is.👍👌 Hope you get some riding in before the snow gods descend on you.

Great! :thumb These larger pics are much clearer than the ones I saw from when you were looking at it. Have you gotten to ride or did winter arrive on the heels of it being delivered? Quick note: The power port is a BMW size so anything you have from the GL that used a "cigarette lighter plug" will require and adapter to BMW size. They are available at fairly low cost on the interweb. Good luck.

Great! :thumb These larger pics are much clearer than the ones I saw from when you were looking at it. Have you gotten to ride or did winter arrive on the heels of it being delivered? Quick note: The power port is a BMW size so anything you have from the GL that used a "cigarette lighter plug" will require and adapter to BMW size. They are available at fairly low cost on the interweb. Good luck.
It was really cold yesterday so just short test rides so far.Came with a heated vest so now all it needs are snow tires.Going to be a lot of fun.

A few more pictures

46370529_10218387316613934_1677151520400867328_n.jpg46404127_10218387317013944_547150907633041408_n.jpg46352992_10218387317533957_6291061408469614592_n.jpg

Temp was up to 42f today so got a few miles. What a great ride these have.So much lighter than the wings.The smooth and quiet trans is great too. But seriously, the motor makes a happy sound and nice feel to it .Getting used to this mc very quickly.

Back