• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 R1200RT won't shift out of 2nd gear

cowchip

I have a 2011 R1200RT with 21900 miles. Hasn't been ridden for a little over a month and today I could not shift out of second gear. Very hard. Eventually it did but now 3rd gear will not engage. One I force it out of 3rd it is OK. Down shifts OK.
Last transmission oil change was in 2016 with a bit of 14000 miles.
Linkage looks OK.
Might have to trailer it to the dealer if I cannot get it out of 2nd. HELP!

i would try to shift it with your hand while on the centerstand and motor off....you might be able to feel a "glitch" in the shift drum...

did it shift ok before putting it up for a month...?

you're pretty dang close to BMW MC of Long Beach....best service by far....when needed i travel from Solvang to them...i HIGHLY recommend...talk to Rich...

good luck...

wyman

I think I would check and see if there is clutch function- functioning properly.
OM

Won't shift by hand on center stand out of 1st gear. Now I can't get it in to 2nd.
Linkage and hardware look fine and bike ran fine up until today. Never had an issue with shifting or engine. Fuel pump and switch gear is another story. Clutch seems to work OK.

I made an appointment for LB and might have to trailer it down there. Can't take it in until Nov 15. Will need their loaner and maybe a bank loan

Different bike but my 09 K1300 stopped shifting. The linkages joints had to be disassembled and cleaned. No indication from outside. My dealer cleaned them for free.

Back