Thread: Help! 1978 Snowflake rear bearing replacement!?

Question Help! 1978 Snowflake rear bearing replacement!?

So I have removed my rear and front wheels for bearing replacement and powder coating. In trying to replace the bearings, all of the literature and information online shows an inner spacer sleeve ...With two halo type washer/spacers integral on the sleeve which create a washer type separation from the outer sleeve. On my 1978 snowflake wheel my inner sleeve is blankÖ there are no halo washers in its circumference but was simply a rubber slipon washer. there are no integral washer type spacers to prevent it from free floating on the axle, inside of the outer spacer sleeve. I cannot get an appropriate stack as there is a significant (approximately 1/4 inch) gap between the outer sleeve and the face of the bearing races. I am really confused and donít know if someone installed an improper part prior to my purchase of the bike or if Iím doing something wrong. All of the books and videos I have referenced show the stack with the inner and out sleeve.

I need some help please!

Welcome to the forum! I see that you posted also in the other thread on Snowflakes. As you probably saw, one of the members had quite the discussion on the bearings in these rims.

You're going to need the items shown in this picture:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...l=1#post599792

In between the bearings are the inner and outer spacers along with the wedding band spacer. This spacer, called a shim on the fiche, ranges from 6.3mm thick to 7.7mm thick. Sometimes, as in the link above, use of a very thin shim can be used to get the preload just right when all assembled.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I see that you posted also in the other thread on Snowflakes. As you probably saw, one of the members had quite the discussion on the bearings in these rims.

You're going to need the items shown in this picture:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...l=1#post599792

In between the bearings are the inner and outer spacers along with the wedding band spacer. This spacer, called a shim on the fiche, ranges from 6.3mm thick to 7.7mm thick. Sometimes, as in the link above, use of a very thin shim can be used to get the preload just right when all assembled.
    I am admittedly not an expert ... and I was just confused by the different type of inner sleeve. I honk I ya e gotten it now... thank you for taking the time to respond... not to get the front wheel stack set

IF need be, take a picture of what you have and post the picture.

I've only been inside my /7 hubs once, but I had a lot of overseers! The /7 hubs require heating to get the bearings in/out...otherwise, the hub can be ruined.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Must the rubber be removed to prevent damage when heating? I have read of using a small camp stove to keep the heat localized to the hub. Perhaps using wet towels close to the rim as a heatsink? I just mounted a new tire (Avon Roadrider, shhh) and would prefer to leave it in place.

Russ '76 R90/6 '78 R80/7 '78R100RS

When I changed the bearings in my /7 hubs (spokes, not snowflakes), I didn't dismount the rubber. For the limited heat and amount of time it takes, I can't see how the heat will get high enough to work its way out to the rim.

That's just what I wanted to hear! Thanks Kurt.