Thread: Denali B6 on 2017 R1200RT

Denali B6 on 2017 R1200RT

To improve conspicuity, I recently purchased some Denali lighting products; a B6 brake light, two DM light pods and the CANsmart controller.

The plan is to use the Denali fender mount kit to mount the DMs low on the front fender. They will be outfitted with amber lens covers. The B6 will be mounted beneath the license plate. The controller will be mounted in the space beneath the pillion.

The challenge I'm having is routing of the B6 cable to the location of the controller. I'm going to drill a hole through the rear fender to pass the B6 cable through. I want as clean an installation as possible and want to get the B6 cable within the bodywork as soon as possible. To protect the B6 cable from the elements, I am looking to route the B6 cable inside the rear inner wheel cover to the location of the controller. It looks like the inner rear wheel cover can be removed, but I'm not sure.

I need to find a good path for the B6 cable from the license plate area to the area beneath the pillion. Has anyone installed the Denali B6 brake light on a 2017 R1200RT? Or is anyone familiar with removal of the inner rear wheel cover? If so, I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dcoker57 View Post
    To improve conspicuity, I recently purchased some Denali lighting products; a B6 brake light, two DM light pods and the CANsmart controller.

The plan is to use the Denali fender mount kit to mount the DMs low on the front fender. They will be outfitted with amber lens covers. The B6 will be mounted beneath the license plate. The controller will be mounted in the space beneath the pillion.

The challenge I'm having is routing of the B6 cable to the location of the controller. I'm going to drill a hole through the rear fender to pass the B6 cable through. I want as clean an installation as possible and want to get the B6 cable within the bodywork as soon as possible. To protect the B6 cable from the elements, I am looking to route the B6 cable inside the rear inner wheel cover to the location of the controller. It looks like the inner rear wheel cover can be removed, but I'm not sure.

I need to find a good path for the B6 cable from the license plate area to the area beneath the pillion. Has anyone installed the Denali B6 brake light on a 2017 R1200RT? Or is anyone familiar with removal of the inner rear wheel cover? If so, I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks.
    You don't have to remove the inner rear wheel cover for this. You can feed the B6 cord up the inside of the fender, between the inner fender and the outer fender (use a very small screw drive to open the gap just enough to get the wires through). Once the wire has been threaded between the two pieces, you can solder the connectors to the end of the wiring and plug it into the CanSmart. (You can cover the wire on the inside of the fender with a short piece of black duck tape, after cleaning the fender, of course.)
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE