Thread: Solar charger

Solar charger

https://shop.mashable.com/sales/choe...rger&scsonar=1

What do you think?

I have no skin in this game just reading news on tablet and saw this

The 23% to 24% conversion is suspect, the best industrial grade panels will only get 21%. Notice amps are "Up to 2.4 amps per charging port", this will depend greatly on the sunlight levels. If you only charging a phone and have all day you might be ok, you dont say what your thinking about using it for. I've found a plug on the bike is simpler and faster for phones, tablets, helmet comm device's, also less stuff to pack that way.

Good luck, if you purchase, please report back and let us know how it worked out, maybe a full blow review.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    The 23% to 24% conversion is suspect, the best industrial grade panels will only get 21%. Notice amps are "Up to 2.4 amps per charging port", this will depend greatly on the sunlight levels. If you only charging a phone and have all day you might be ok, you dont say what your thinking about using it for. I've found a plug on the bike is simpler and faster for phones, tablets, helmet comm device's, also less stuff to pack that way.

Good luck, if you purchase, please report back and let us know how it worked out, maybe a full blow review.
    I have a somewhat similar unit by "Sunjack". It has its own battery. The panel can charge a phone directly or can charge its own battery. Then the extra battery can be hooked to the phone as a booster. So, you can leave the panel in the sun and still have your phone in your pocket or in the tent. I usually just charge the phone in the topcase of my bike but this solar gizmo is handy at a multi-day rally or camping when I am not riding much if at all. Especially with the 310 with its little 9ah battery.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I too have played around with various solar chargers for my phone, comm. unit, etc. Both the Luci light and Goal Zero have worked great during camping and rallies.

I agree with jandhumphreyme about the power ratings, and you'll find that quite frequently with most of these cheaper panels. I found that plugging the panel into a battery works best vs. into the device itself. You do get what you paid for in this area.
    1995 BMW K75s - 100k and climbing!
    2007 BMW R1200RT - 62k
    2009 BMW G650GS - 22k and ready for Alaska!

Back-up Batteries

These back up batteries about the best thing sense sliced bread and the price has come down and storage capacity up. Pictures show 4 my wife and I use all the time plus the jump starter thing for 12 volt batteries that also has usb charging ports. Two have built in lights, blue one cost $14 at farm store , 2 small black ones 2 for $28 at sams club ( holiday special guess whatís upon us very soon) white one part of big Agnes tent entertainment loft, large black battery with jumper clips $ 49 farm store.
    Solar charger really what do you think the jump box, auxiliary battery thing almost a canít live without.Name:  07E13CF0-D3CA-43C2-9DC2-71005F3871D6.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  276.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    These back up batteries about the best thing sense sliced bread and the price has come down and storage capacity up. Pictures show 4 my wife and I use all the time plus the jump starter thing for 12 volt batteries that also has usb charging ports. Two have built in lights, blue one cost $14 at farm store , 2 small black ones 2 for $28 at sams club ( holiday special guess whatís upon us very soon) white one part of big Agnes tent entertainment loft, large black battery with jumper clips $ 49 farm store.
    Solar charger really what do you think the jump box, auxiliary battery thing almost a canít live without.Name:  07E13CF0-D3CA-43C2-9DC2-71005F3871D6.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  276.9 KB
    +1 I always keep a few of these on the bike. When on a trip I will recharge them while riding (when camping) or in the hotel if "roughing it"

They are really handy and I will take one into a restaurant while I have lunch and charge whatever I need while I am eating

Brian
    2005 R1200RT
    Brian

RK Ryder
    I carry a couple of battery packs that take up very little space. One can keep both my phones charged throughout a six day camping stay. To date, I've not needed the second one, but besides charging cell phones, the second one can also jump start my bikes' (or car's) batteries.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333