Thread: Total Rear Break Failure

Total Rear Break Failure

My 2018 GSA with just over 2K miles suffered a complete rear break failure. It occurred while riding on the interstate on cruse control. Upon slowing for exit ramp the rear break didn't seem to work and as I entered the ramp there was a loud screech. I was just one mile from home so on arrival I checked things out. Rotor, Caliper, Hub and even spokes were very hot with strong burning smell. On center stand the wheel was hard to turn and scraped like metal-on-metal. I had it transported to me dealer and their first comment was that a lot of the pad had transferred to rotor and the pads were about half gone. Today they heard from BMW for the third or fourth time and were instructed to keep the bike and ride it extensively before returning it to me. The dealer knows me as an experienced rider. In fact I just returned from a 6K mile trip to the West on my RS. They do not think that this was operator error, i.e. me dragging the brake. I don't think that was the case either as I had been doing some off-road standing practice and was paying great attention to my foot position regarding shifter and brakes. This practice was a few weeks earlier so I'm sure that's not related either. Also, when this happened I was on interstate running with cruse control and had ridden a hundred plus miles, including through town stop and go, with no apparent problem.

My dealer feels that perhaps BMW suspects some failure, perhaps ABS related, and wants to make sure the problem is resolved, even though the dealer only replaced the rotor, pads and complete fluid flush. Also, dealer told me that there were no error codes.
    Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this or has any ideas.
    Thanks

I know of a similar problem on an XR; the rear rotor started screeching when the owner tried backing the bike into the garage following a long day of riding. The rotor was extremely hot and totally discolored. The owner had put a brake pedal extension on the bike and the toe of his boot was resting lightly on the brake pedal which resulted in dragging the brake while riding. He had to replace the rotor and brake pads.

It is very easy to get the rear brake out of proper adjustment resulting in the brake dragging. Maybe it came from the factory that way or maybe it was done during set-up. I have heard of it being caused by owners trying to adjust brake pedal height and it resulted in damage, but nothing as extensive as you experienced. Best of luck with the dealer sorting this out.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    .. I have heard of it being caused by owners trying to adjust brake pedal height and it resulted in damage, but nothing as extensive as you experienced.
    How about more extensive? This was, as you mention, from a brake lever that had been improperly adjusted after some footpeg-lowering junk was added. The pads are curved! A different customer actually crashed (also on a K12RS) due to the same problem.

EDIT: the caliper was originally black. It had to be replaced because the seals burned out of it.

caliper.jpg
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    How about more extensive? This was, as you mention, from a brake lever that had been improperly adjusted after some footpeg-lowering junk was added. The pads are curved! A different customer actually crashed (also on a K12RS) due to the same problem.

EDIT: the caliper was originally black. It had to be replaced because the seals burned out of it.

caliper.jpg
    Holy cow! That was red (or white) hot!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Welcome to the forum dont45

I have a similar picture from a buds GSA after a MX Rally trip the day after he re entered TX.The rotor and caliper inhabit the Story Tree outside our shop.

The caliper melted and left slag on overheated rotor. Someone had flipped the brake pedal step down and his size 14 boots never realized he was dragging brake for miles. He's worn out a few GS's so it was a shock to see him drag one.

Have had one other fellow overheat the rotor and wear out some pads quickly after the step was moved without him realizing it.

A bud came roaring up to me on a K12RS pointing at his rear wheel a few years back. We quickly pulled over to put the FD boot and caliper fire out! He had adjusted the rod at the pedal earlier that morning a wee too much and after everything got warm, it got tighter...and at freeway speed didn't take long to blow the seals and ignite .We laugh NOW...kinda.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by antonlargiader View Post
    how about more extensive? This was, as you mention, from a brake lever that had been improperly adjusted after some footpeg-lowering junk was added. The pads are curved! A different customer actually crashed (also on a k12rs) due to the same problem.

Edit: The caliper was originally black. It had to be replaced because the seals burned out of it.

caliper.jpg
    zounds!!
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

From a Camhead GSA

IMG_2858.JPG
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown