Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Nav 6 Battery Runs down while on bike

I had a Nav V, and now a Nav VI. The battery behaviour described by the original poster is pretty typical from my experience. As pointed out, turning off the bike's ignition doesn't fully turn off the Nav. It's simply in sleep mode. To fully turn off the device, you must remove it from the cradle, and press -- and hold --- the rubber button on the back of the case, in order to get the onscreen prompt. That said, I leave mine in its cradle, if I expect to be using the bike in the next two weeks, or so. If not, I remove it, and bring it in the house. If I need to charge it off the bike, I always use my iPhone plug, together with the Garmin USB cord. Even if you remove the Nav from the bike's cradle, the device's battery will still discharge, unless you fully turn it off using the button on the rear of the case.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    I can't remember which BMW Nav model was identical to the Garmin Zumo 600 series but I think it was the V model. It was a Garmin in a BMW box. In 2011 when the 660 came out I bought one for my 1100RT. After installing it I noticed a lot of things I thought were strange so I did a study on parasitic loads under all the operating conditions of the Garmin 660 on that bike. I posted the results here again in May this year when someone was having issues deciding how to wire it. This info might shed some light on the questions coming up here on the Nav units which really are just Garmins anyway.
    Link to Post number 5 in that thread:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...=1#post1129246
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    To fully turn off the device, you must remove it from the cradle, and press -- and hold --- the rubber button on the back of the case, in order to get the onscreen prompt.
    Like this pic. This should fully turn it OFF.

The other test is to fully remove the battery out of the unit after it has been fully charged and let it sit for weeks or even months. If it does not self-discharge then the issue is in the unit itself. I have old cell phones that are turned off and months later (as in 4 or more months), the batteries are still fully charged.

IMG_9931.JPG