Thread: Ď04 R1150R Tank Grips - What Are My Options?

Ď04 R1150R Tank Grips - What Are My Options?

On my newly purchased Ď04 I am sliding around a bit in the seat. Iím wearing riding pants that seem to have less friction on the seat, so when braking specifically I have a tendency to slide forward into the tank.

I have been looking for tank knee grips, but it seems there are at least in the U.S. very few options. Are there any good grips that you have used and could recommend?

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtex View Post
    Are there any good grips that you have used and could recommend?
    You could consider these....

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...e/1250084.html

On my newly purchased Ď04 I am sliding around a bit in the seat. Iím wearing riding pants that seem to have less friction on the seat, so when braking specifically I have a tendency to slide forward into the tank.

I have been looking for tank knee grips, but it seems there are at least in the U.S. very few options. Are there any good grips that you have used and could recommend?
    A starting point would be http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...e/1250084.html
    Or, you might find something here that could be adapted:

https://techspec-usa.com/products/motorcycles/bmw.html

Google might find others as well.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S PD ó 1993 R100GS ó 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C ó 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    A starting point would be http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...e/1250084.html
    Or, you might find something here that could be adapted:

https://techspec-usa.com/products/motorcycles/bmw.html

Google might find others as well.

Best,
    DG
    Thanks, DG and BC.

I had looked at the Wunderlich pad and did a Google search for others. The Wunderlich looks a bit small, plus I think I read somewhere that the pads came off after a while for some riders. Found the TechSpec site as well, but the R1150R isn't in their line-up. Taking another look at their pads, the closest match might be the one for the R1200R. It's a bit larger than the Wunderlich, but I might be able to customize it if it sticks out somewhere. I'll check on that.

If you're not vertically-challenged, install a pair of spacers under the front mount of the seat; longer screws will be needed.

Seat Spacer.jpg

Also, be careful what you clean the seat with... decent leather conditioner works on vinyl too, but some are slippery, so buff it really well and let it dry; Bill (Rocky) Meyer used to sell some conditioner that had wax in it, this worked well but I don't know if he still has it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Also, be careful what you clean the seat with... decent leather conditioner works on vinyl too, but some are slippery
    +1

In my experience Armor All - while good stuff for the right applications - is particularly bad in this respect.
    - Glenn
    2000 R1100RT (current)
    1982 R100RT (traded)
    1970 BSA A65T, 1969 Honda CB350, 1967 Honda CB160 all fondly remembered

If you're not vertically-challenged, install a pair of spacers under the front mount of the seat; longer screws will be needed.

Seat Spacer.jpg

Also, be careful what you clean the seat with... decent leather conditioner works on vinyl too, but some are slippery, so buff it really well and let it dry; Bill (Rocky) Meyer used to sell some conditioner that had wax in it, this worked well but I don't know if he still has it.
    +1 on raising the front of the seat I cut a couple of pieces of flat steel the size of plastic things than used a couple of large nuts under each steel plate. ( plate keeps you from breaking plastic things ). My 94 R1100RS has a 3 positions to chose from to adjust seat height, I raised the front plastic things over 1/2 inch which made seat way less finicky to get on the bike and much less froward slope. If i get things just right I can get front of seat in a higher notch than back which makes it better yet. The bike came with a Corbin seat so seat brackets may not be right but before modifications if the bike was on the center stand and you set on it you slid forward.

Ď04 R1150R Tank Grips - What Are My Options?

Seat Spacer.jpg

Iíll definitely have to take a look at this! Thanks for passing it along. Would be a lot cheaper than some of the tank grips I now have seen.

Not sure what the previous owner did. Might also just be my mesh riding pants. When I test ride the bike before finalizing the purchase I was wearing just regular jeans and hadnít notice the forward sliding, so itís entirely possible that itís the pants. Havenít noticed the same problem with them on my other bike though.

Great suggestions by all. Truly appreciate it!

Iíll definitely have to take a look at this! Thanks for passing it along. Would be a lot cheaper than some of the tank grips I now have seen.

Not sure what the previous owner did. Might also just be my mesh riding pants. When I test ride the bike before finalizing the purchase I was wearing just regular jeans and hadnít notice the forward sliding, so itís entirely possible that itís the pants. Havenít noticed the same problem with them on my other bike though.

Great suggestions by all. Truly appreciate it!
    Several folks have noticed a need to raise the front of the seat. That may be what you need to do. But meanwhile, get some warm water and good detergent soap and thoroughly scrub the seat to remove any wax, polish, or other stuff applied to the seat. Then see if it is still slippery.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Annie uses a spray designed for saddles to limit slipping on her leather Corbin seat on her R12GS.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/sp...ite-spray-6196
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Several folks have noticed a need to raise the front of the seat. That may be what you need to do. But meanwhile, get some warm water and good detergent soap and thoroughly scrub the seat to remove any wax, polish, or other stuff applied to the seat. Then see if it is still slippery.
    Great suggestion, Paul! Thanks! We'll see what happens afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Annie uses a spray designed for saddles to limit slipping on her leather Corbin seat on her R12GS.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/sp...ite-spray-6196
    Ah, leave it to our single-horsepower friends to come up with a great solution.