• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Time to stop riding

fastdogs2

After 16 great years of riding BMW motorcycles, I decided that I had better quit while I was ahead.

I sold my R1200R and have placed some of my BMW riding apparel for sale in the Marketplace at great prices for those who are in need of apparel.

Thanks to all of you on the Forum who answered questions and provided valuable information. I also had a great time at the five MOA Rallies I attended.

Bill

Sorry to hear you've stopped riding. Must have been a difficult decision. Going to be hard to find something else to fill that void, but good luck.

After 16 great years of riding BMW motorcycles, I decided that I had better quit while I was ahead.

I sold my R1200R and have placed some of my BMW riding apparel for sale in the Marketplace at great prices for those who are in need of apparel.

Thanks to all of you on the Forum who answered questions and provided valuable information. I also had a great time at the five MOA Rallies I attended.

Bill

Perhaps at 74 you are really ready to hang it up. If you think so, then you apparently are. However, I quit at age 65, again at 68 and now at 70 just purchased another ride. My brother quit at age 70, 75 and 80. Today, at 82 he's riding a C650GT. Moral to the story, don't sell your riding gear too quickly. Enjoy whatever it is your doing now.

Along those lines.....whenever I don’t have a bike, I miss one.
Good luck with your decision :wave
OM

I know of one person who is 87 sold a R.E. 500 last year Then turn around and bought a Suz. 250 street. He only rides in about a 50 miles radius from home. Just keeps on going. Each time the bike get smaller.:dance

Perhaps at 74 you are really ready to hang it up. If you think so, then you apparently are. However, I quit at age 65, again at 68 and now at 70 just purchased another ride. My brother quit at age 70, 75 and 80. Today, at 82 he's riding a C650GT. Moral to the story, don't sell your riding gear too quickly. Enjoy whatever it is your doing now.

I fully intend to honor my long-time thoughts of... "ride through age 65".. and be nearly through with it. About two more years. And I'm tapering back already, mostly on just a monthly basis; I still enjoy the touring travel. Today I rode a couple miles since about 45 days ago, I very seldom day ride.

And that ride in September to a Club Rally and home, totaled approximately 500 miles. Prior to that, I had parked the bike returning from July's ride to the MOA & further west (WY/CO) ... about 21 days/3,000 mi.

I'll keep some gear just in case a Ural hack or RnineT Scrambler happens to appear under the bright garage lights!

"travel'n" john ... through 2020

Many of us will be making the same decision over the next few years. I think the market will soon be flooded with late model used motorcycles, especially larger bikes.

The next 5 years will be interesting times for the industry.

Many of us will be making the same decision over the next few years. I think the market will soon be flooded with late model used motorcycles, especially larger bikes.

Yep. According to recent articles in both Forbes and the Wall Street Journal, used HD bikes are outselling new ones 3:1. In my market area, the desert Southwest, you can buy a relatively late-model full-dresser in perfect condition for the mid-teens - maybe $10K under the new price. Not sure what the ratio is for BMW.

Young people just cannot afford $25K motorcycles, only older people by and large can afford them. New Bikes are just too expensive.

Bikes coming in from India soon, other third world places with lower cost of admission?
Used bikes plummet in value, allowing new riders to buy good, newer bikes.
Dual Sport bikes, usually less expensive, continue to be larger segment of market.
China improves product quality and enters world motorcycle market with low cost products.

Wildcard: How will the electronics hold up that have been added on to bikes the last 15 years. I worry about this on my BMW's. Will older bikes be worth buying? Will parts be available at realistic prices?

Young people just cannot afford $25K motorcycles, only older people by and large can afford them. New Bikes are just too expensive.

Bikes coming in from India soon, other third world places with lower cost of admission?
Used bikes plummet in value, allowing new riders to buy good, newer bikes.
Dual Sport bikes, usually less expensive, continue to be larger segment of market.
China improves product quality and enters world motorcycle market with low cost products.

Wildcard: How will the electronics hold up that have been added on to bikes the last 15 years. I worry about this on my BMW's. Will older bikes be worth buying? Will parts be available at realistic prices?

At 41, I don’t feel young but I’m looking forward to riding another 20+ years. I wouldn’t have a problem affording the new RT at the dealer but even I opted for a 3 yr old used one for half the price out the door.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Young people just cannot afford $25K motorcycles, only older people by and large can afford them. New bikes are just too expensive.

Probably true in many cases. But there is also a cultural shift. Young people, even financially solid ones, are not into buying "stuff" so much as they are "having experiences" as it's been described to me. I am 61 and do not remember friends of my generation planning "destination weddings" that req'd spending thousands on travel to go somewhere exotic for someone else's wedding. It does not require too many of these trips to equal the buy-in of a new BMW.

To old to ride a motorcycle

I think when the time comes to lose the motorcycles, I will get a bicycle one with a lithium ion battery pac, and when I get to old for that “trike conversion” with rechargeable lithium ion battery pac.

I think when the time comes to lose the motorcycles, I will get a bicycle one with a lithium ion battery pac, and when I get to old for that “trike conversion” with rechargeable lithium ion battery pac.

If I follow this progression I see wheelies in a mobility scooter in the future.:)

After 16 great years of riding BMW motorcycles, I decided that I had better quit while I was ahead...

Bill

Bill, you are not too far from me. I ride with a bunch a fellers that range in age from 60ish to mid 80s. Many have switched to riding scooters (e.g., Burgman 400 or 650) or three-wheeled vehicles (e.g. Polaris Slingshot or Can-Am Spyder). Typically, we meet Wednesday mornings and go for a nice breakfast ride then sometimes to some local attraction. This group is informally known as ROMEOs for Retired Old Motorcyclists Eating Out. Send me a PM if you want more info. Following is a link to a local tv news show about this group -

http://myfox8.com/2012/10/22/group-of-piedmont-retirees-gather-for-food-and-motorcycle-rides/

...This group is informally known as ROMEOs for Retired Old Motorcyclists Eating Out.

Cute. I remember joining the Retreads nearly 30 years ago - back when over 40 was old. I was surprised to learn that they still exist. Of course, many people who know me are surprised (and maybe a bit annoyed) that I still exist.

At 41, I don’t feel young but I’m looking forward to riding another 20+ years. I wouldn’t have a problem affording the new RT at the dealer but even I opted for a 3 yr old used one for half the price out the door.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Believe me. You are young and another 20 years is nothing. When you reach that 61. Hopefully you will still feel young.

When I turned 70 I traded my LT for the RT because the LT was starting to feel real heavy. I will be 80 in October and my RT is starting to feel heavy. I don't like feeling uneasy making slow turns in parking lots etc.. My wife quit riding her F650CS a few years ago and really doesn't care to ride with me anymore. I'm thinking about test riding a 310GS.:gerg:banghead

Consider a sidecar to extend your riding life. I got my Ural a year ago and Annie got hers last December. I see my GSA with a car added in my future so I can have something capable of long distance travel in comfort. Sidecar outfits are a hoot to drive. Different than a two wheeler for sure, but still a motorcycle. No worries about slow speed maneuvers, gravel patches or will the ground support my side stand.

Consider a sidecar to extend your riding life. I got my Ural a year ago and Annie got hers last December. I see my GSA with a car added in my future so I can have something capable of long distance travel in comfort. Sidecar outfits are a hoot to drive. Different than a two wheeler for sure, but still a motorcycle. No worries about slow speed maneuvers, gravel patches or will the ground support my side stand.

You are right, sidecars are fun. When my grandkids were young in the early 2000s I had a R75/6 and bought a Sputnik sidecar from DMC. The kids loved it and I enjoyed it for several years and even went to the golf course with my clubs in it. Defiantly something to consider.

I will be 61 in a few days and can't wait for retirement so I can get out and ride. My wife and I have some tentative plans to tour the west, Utah, Colorado Northern Nevada, and head to the west coast. Plus take our time! I hope to hell I can continue to ride into my 70's! I am not done yet! Too many places to see!

Back