• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F850 first impressions

danpaddles

Had the chance to ride an F850 last week, thanks BMW! Nice bike, great ride, but a couple things stood out. I thought the cylinder for the shift assist looked to be very vulnerable to damage. Kinda hangs off the side, right above your boot, with no protection of any sort. Is this good design for an expensive bike they tell you to take off road?

The center stand springs are also sticking out to the side, down low, in a potentially bad spot. And they just look ugly there. Nit picking maybe, but come on, this bike costs almost as much as the 1200. They couldn't find a better place for springs?

Also not a fan of the gold wheels, just a personal thing I realize. But trying to make the bike look more like an Africa Twin? Looks a little nicer on the red white blue one, but otherwise, I would greatly prefer black. Not to mention, chain oil won't show near as much on a black rim.

From the time they announced this model, it was almost a year before we got to see one. Now that I have seen it, I guess I am glad they made me wait. I'm not sure I want one anymore. Now I'm thinking, R1200GS or maybe a Super Tenere. I will give BMW a nod for the TFT display, and the thumbwheel, and Nav tie ins. Way ahead of the Super Tenere, and that may sway me yet.

Just my $.02, or maybe, thinking out loud? Purchase is imminent, well, maybe I'll wait until Spring.

-Dan

I was thinking the gold was an option. Okay, we will give them a few points for good taste!

-Dan

Just in case you wanted to see what the 'ugly' gold wheels look like on a Pollux Green F 850 GS.... :D

IMG_20190505_182534_zps5wj1kilx.jpg

IMG_20190505_182619_zpsalnzr2tv.jpg

IMG_20190505_182647_zpsajbrvfae.jpg

Had the chance to ride an F850 last week, thanks BMW!

Although not a lot of Honda dealers offer test rides, have you tried an Africa Twin yet? They are nice bikes... and roughly the same weight at the F850s... which I think look massive for a parallel twin.

I do not understand the need for shift assist... it seems to be an answer to a question nobody asked???? The reason it’s hanging out there is so that you have to buy the expensive protection item from Touratech! :ha

Last, if you are into adv bikes, and considering KTMs, you might take a look at their new 790s... Adventure and Adventure R. They are so much lighter than the BMWs it’s embarrassing!

Ian

Press launch vehicle?

Just in case you wanted to see what the 'ugly' gold wheels look like on a Pollux Green F 850 GS.... :D

IMG_20190505_182534_zps5wj1kilx.jpg

IMG_20190505_182619_zpsalnzr2tv.jpg

IMG_20190505_182647_zpsajbrvfae.jpg

I was picturing the gold wheels in my mind, but was not ready for that photo. Dang, not the sort of thing you want to see while eating.

We all ‘buy’ first on looks. If it does not look good, who cares about anything else.

That is not a good look. 🤮

I was picturing the gold wheels in my mind, but was not ready for that photo. Dang, not the sort of thing you want to see while eating.

We all ‘buy’ first on looks. If it does not look good, who cares about anything else.

That is not a good look. 🤮

LOL, nope it's not a press launch bike... It's mine!

I made a special deal with the dealership to swap out the black wheels for the ones on their demo Rally model.

Sorry about losing your lunch there Greggo!

Back