Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tire date

Tires

While looking at all the choices for the size tires on line I noticed the Pilot Activ tires weigh a few pounds per more per tire than the other choices. I did not compare all but looked at the weight of the pilot actvís vs some cheap Chinese ones and some continentalís that have similar tread pattern as the pilot activís I assume this extra weight contributes to the difficulty on mounting the tires, and perhaps the tire performance satisfaction people have reported .

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    While looking at all the choices for the size tires on line I noticed the Pilot Activ tires weigh a few pounds per more per tire than the other choices. I did not compare all but looked at the weight of the pilot actvís vs some cheap Chinese ones and some continentalís that have similar tread pattern as the pilot activís I assume this extra weight contributes to the difficulty on mounting the tires, and perhaps the tire performance satisfaction people have reported .
    They are definitely heavier and stiffer than most of the competition and that does contribute to the mounting difficulty. It is about like trying to pull your lower lip over the top of your head. I am less sure that it contributes to performance satisfaction. I am quite happy with the way the Pilot Activs perform, but heavier works against them in comfort and handling (higher unsprung weight) and I doubt that it helps much, if any, with puncture resistance or tread life. The tire is held in shape by air pressure and not sidewall stiffness.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    Airheads #3480 | Iron Butt Assn. #8914
    1976 R75/6 - 1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Too hard to mount and to get the bead even for my liking, the Pilot Activs that is. I really like the Avons i have now, RoadRiders i think. All that said, both perform very well. Chunk.