Thread: Clutch noise

Clutch noise

I am hearing a rattling noise from my 2006 R1150R 10,000 KM or 6,000 miles on it when I am holding the clutch lever in. It seems to be more prominent after the bike is warmed up, in fact I usually can not hear it at all when it is cold. To me it sounds like a bad release bearing but it does not do it all the time. Some of my friends think it may be normal for this bike. I have been looking at parts blow ups but can not locate the throw out bearing I am thinking it must be part of the slave cylinder. If anyone here can throw some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

No response

It would be nice to know if the lack of response to this thread is because no one has an opinion, or is it something I said. As per another thread I changed the fluid in the hydraulic clutch but it did not seem to make a difference. Am I chasing the wrong thing? Could this be cam chain rattle?

Typically the rattle you describe is an indicator of worn clutch hub splines, a common problem with 6 speed oilhead transmissions.
    An enormous amount has been posted & discussed on this subject on many forums.
    Google is your friend.

A bad release bearing (part of the slave) will make a screeching noise or cause leaking fluid along the input shaft.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

The bike has years, but only 6K. Hard to imagine it's a wear issue. It may go away with more ride time or not as all the lube product at the slave to pushrod interface has no doubt aged.
    The Hexheads get a knocking tap with clutch released as the pushrod ends mushroom,the Oilheads usually spin the seal and you lose the clutch when the fluid leaks.
    Did you flush the slave with the bleed line or just change master cylinder content...and what color was the old fluid?

But seriously...an 1150R with 6K?
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Easy enough to pull the starter and check for radial spline play.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

On the 1998 R1100RT I just added to my fleet a "bad clutch" ended up being a blown up release bearing. When I adjusted as much play as I could out of the system it made a horrible sound as the clutch rod spun on what was left of the release bearing. Luckily on this bike the splines are ok though a little rusty and dry. Clutch disc does not look like it could 280K miles on it. OP says bike was never apart before this but....
    Signature

noise

Quote Originally Posted by billdor View Post
    It would be nice to know if the lack of response to this thread is because no one has an opinion, or is it something I said. As per another thread I changed the fluid in the hydraulic clutch but it did not seem to make a difference. Am I chasing the wrong thing? Could this be cam chain rattle?
    Please verify if the noise is evident when the clutch lever is pulled in or at rest.

It's normal to hear some noise with the clutch lever at rest. The noise should diminish as the lever is pulled in. Again, totally normal.

Quote Originally Posted by RPGR90s View Post
    Please verify if the noise is evident when the clutch lever is pulled in or at rest.

It's normal to hear some noise with the clutch lever at rest. The noise should diminish as the lever is pulled in. Again, totally normal.
    Indeed a slight clatter in neutral, clutch not pulled, is normal. Noise when the clutch lever is pulled is not normal.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/