Thread: Max comes through

Max comes through

Several times over last ten years I've decided to hang it up altogether, but I keep moving the "finish line". This time, which occurred over the last few days, presented a different situation. Wanting to upgrade I checked the typical sources, Indianapolis, Urbana, Chicago, Grand Rapids, St. Louis or anywhere in Ohio, but all were void of my model/color/year of interest. Get on Cycle Trader, focusing on '15/'16 R1200RT models with low miles. There are a bunch available between 500 and 900 miles away. I'm trading so commercial shipping is pretty much out. Thus Max BMW becomes the destination...680 miles away. Load up the '08, bring home the '15. Acquisition costs are certainly higher, but the product, customer service and execution are flawless. This is third purchase from their Troy, NY location and salesman Craig...each has been a pleasure, though a closer location would be certainly be beneficial. In northern Indiana waiting for Spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RT
    MOA #46783

Hate it when pix goes 90 degrees!
    2015 RT
    MOA #46783

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Great! Good luck with it.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Hate it when pix goes 90 degrees!
    Better?

IMG_4465.jpg
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Lovely!

I just love the smell of a new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    Better?

IMG_4465.jpg
    Yes. How did you do that? I too have been trouble lately with the forum rotating my picture, haven't been able to figure out how to change them.

I've had mixed experience with Max. First sale went great, second one they knew I was coming and had my bike out front with a SOLD sign on it yet it still took 6 hours to complete the deal even with no trade involved. OTOH I wandered in to Hermy's one afternoon unannounced yet I was in and out in 3 hours. This involved talking me into doing something I was half ready to do anyway, negotiating the trade, and installing some minor accessories.

I still have the bike, they try to talk me into trading every time I go in but I like it too much. That's a good thing, as a 3-year old bike with 108K and a few, shall we say, "cosmetic flaws", isn't worth much either as a trade or as an outright sale.
    2016 R1200 GSA

When I bought my 2018 RT it was slightly used, on consignment at a CanAm dealer. I asked them for the keys and was told not rides, which I expected, but looked the bike over. Their asking price was good and for reasons I will not mention it didn't seem right to try get the price down. I told them I would take it, called my bank, they sent the purchase agreement to my bank and I left. I stopped at my bank the next day, got the check and went back to pick it up. Time spent at the dealer was less than one hour total.

When I bought my Harley in 2016 it was in and out to, maybe two hours. The dealer financed so that took a 1/2 hour to clear, plus the salesman insisted on giving me and orientation. (It was my third Harley bagger, I knew the bike better than the salesman!) It was funny, the salesman kept telling me stuff about the bike and he was wrong. After I corrected him the third time the orientation was over! After we made the deal my buddy was out in the parking lot stripping off my personal stuff. The salesman was a bit surprised to see the bike all torn apart, but I had told him there were a few things I was not leaving behind. We showed him the box of stuff, asked if there was anything they felt should have stayed with the bike, loaded up and left. 3-4 hours would make me crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    I've had mixed experience with Max. First sale went great, second one they knew I was coming and had my bike out front with a SOLD sign on it yet it still took 6 hours to complete the deal even with no trade involved. OTOH I wandered in to Hermy's one afternoon unannounced yet I was in and out in 3 hours. This involved talking me into doing something I was half ready to do anyway, negotiating the trade, and installing some minor accessories.

I still have the bike, they try to talk me into trading every time I go in but I like it too much. That's a good thing, as a 3-year old bike with 108K and a few, shall we say, "cosmetic flaws", isn't worth much either as a trade or as an outright sale.
    I have to echo that sentiment- all the way to your kudos to Hermys! (who I use for parts for my 2004 Triumph Thunderbird sport). I live about an hour+ from Max and use them though, I bought the RT from them and am pleased with the sale and their willingness to warranty a few body parts (the bike's not mine) though one panel has required three trips for them to get the right panel correct side. (I'm also embarrassed to tell how little I got for a GS650 low miles) Staff is great (one service guy is an acquired taste, but at end of day-delivers well!) They are also great about test rides (which came in handy when I had to wait three hours for a valve cover gasket to be installed)also, on install of hyper brake lights the tech routed the wires poorly so when the double tape failed the light almost fell into the wheel- correct wiring, IMHO would have been through a small hole drilled in the fender behind the license plate- I'd have liked to be given that option. OTOH when I was researching Bar risers, parts offered to lend me the tool (illium gets 15$ and I ship back) I went with illium because of the multiple trips to Troy. I think a dealer/customer is a relationship that has to be nurtured and not necessarily judged by one thing...

I had a GREAT experience in Utah on an emergency stop there!! (again ONE experience so who knows!) They even offered to wash the bike after installing a tire- something Max has never done (Even my local Harley dealer offers a complementary wash after service)

I forget my point (LOL) but wbrownell9's Max/Hermys comment really struck a sympathetic chord.

OP here. My trip to Max in Troy went well. I purchased an RT (my third purchase from them in 7 years) by phone with a deposit by credit card. I provided copy of driver's license, registration and insurance coverage along with details and pictures of my trade via email on Thursday. Arrived next day (Friday morning) 15 minutes before they opened (8:45am). My sales guy and two service fellas unloaded my trade while I checked my purchase. We sat down, signed papers, I provided a check, they a receipt and a couple of T-shirts. While doing this they were loading my purchase. I was out of there by 10:15am. Excellent experience this purchase.
    2015 RT
    MOA #46783

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto316 View Post
    Yes. How did you do that? I too have been trouble lately with the forum rotating my picture, haven't been able to figure out how to change them.
    PM sent to you describing how to fix. Ken.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    PM sent to you describing how to fix. Ken.
    OP here...And thanks for fixing.
    2015 RT
    MOA #46783

No financing on the 2nd Max bike, there was no trade, the price was known in advance, and I brought a check for the exact amount. Sales agreement, odometer statement, hand over the check, insurance verification, temporary tags - boom, done. I should have been in and out in an hour. They wouldn't even help with transportation from my hotel. If a dealer will deliver a bike to a purchaser, shouldn't they be willing to deliver a purchaser to the bike too? This was the Brookfield CT location, fall 2013.

I had to stop at the dealer in Utah too (blown final drive seal at 98K). No chance to call ahead, I just showed up at 8:30 Tuesday morning and I was out just after lunch. Kudos to Harrison's Eurosports!
    2016 R1200 GSA

Glad your experience was good. With mine the price was good but otherwise all I'll say is that's not what my complete experience was.