Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 71 R75/5 engine refresh - not sure what I should look for

Quote Originally Posted by MANICMECHANIC View Post
    Greetings! I am your friendly state Airmarshal. There are quite a few Airheads in Wisconsin. Something to consider, if you have the time and inclination, is, after joining the Airheads, sponsor a tech session for the winter and get lots of help and meet a lot of new friends. We're here to keep the Airheads on the road.
    Greetings! I am already an Airhead! I would love to sponsor such a session. Should I make arrangements through you?
    1971 R75/5 - 1983 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by 1074 View Post
    That's an indication of a rear main seal leak or the transmission input shaft seal. Tranny out and clutch and flywheel out for all that.
    This seems like an "all of the above" case with the same Rx. Oil and gear lube can usu. be distinguished by smell. Hard to tell from the pics, but it also seems possible that the clutch arm rubber boot might be leaking. It is time for a general going-over. Might as well go for the prize and remove the front cam chain cover to check the chain and tensioner - plus it makes changing the cam and tachometer seals significantly easier.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    Airheads #3480 | Iron Butt Assn. #8914
    1976 R75/6 - 1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
    This seems like an "all of the above" case with the same Rx. Oil and gear lube can usu. be distinguished by smell. Hard to tell from the pics, but it also seems possible that the clutch arm rubber boot might be leaking. It is time for a general going-over. Might as well go for the prize and remove the front cam chain cover to check the chain and tensioner - plus it makes changing the cam and tachometer seals significantly easier.
    Agreed. The bike has been on the road for decades, with periodic maintenance. The prior owner (2nd) basically rode it as a commuter for 34 years, which in Wisconsin means sporadically. He did a good job on upkeep because he needed it to be reliable. But it's still an old bike that is at a point in it's life where it needs some attention. So the title of this thread is a little misleading. It's not just the motor that I want to deal with, but everything. Which fortunately, on an old two wheeled German tractor like a /5, "everything" doesn't really add up to much.

But clearly the motor is the heart of the machine. I want to make sure I do it right. hence my thread. I will take your advice on the cam chain tensioner inspection and seal replacement.

So as an update, the bike went from this - (taken Saturday during beggars night - what better way to hand out candy than from the garage while working on bikes?)
    IMG_3716.jpg

To this...... -
    IMG_3741.jpg

....in fairly short order. Honestly, the bike is a pleasure to work on. Or take apart anyway.
    1971 R75/5 - 1983 R100RT

I like your Dream.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Fixing things

Quote Originally Posted by nevada72 View Post
    Agreed. The bike has been on the road for decades, with periodic maintenance. The prior owner (2nd) basically rode it as a commuter for 34 years, which in Wisconsin means sporadically. He did a good job on upkeep because he needed it to be reliable. But it's still an old bike that is at a point in it's life where it needs some attention. So the title of this thread is a little misleading. It's not just the motor that I want to deal with, but everything. Which fortunately, on an old two wheeled German tractor like a /5, "everything" doesn't really add up to much.

But clearly the motor is the heart of the machine. I want to make sure I do it right. hence my thread. I will take your advice on the cam chain tensioner inspection and seal replacement.

So as an update, the bike went from this - (taken Saturday during beggars night - what better way to hand out candy than from the garage while working on bikes?)
    IMG_3716.jpg

To this...... -
    IMG_3741.jpg

....in fairly short order. Honestly, the bike is a pleasure to work on. Or take apart anyway.
    Handing out candy while working on bikes works well with a airhead tech day also, 12 oz bottles of liquid refreshment ( even if itís beer ) will not hurt anybodyís feelings either

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    I like your Dream.
    I was actually looking for a nice Toaster when I bought it years ago. I couldn't find one I liked so I "settled" for the 64 Dream. It's been a fantastic bike.
    64 Dream.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Handing out candy while working on bikes works well with a airhead tech day also, 12 oz bottles of liquid refreshment ( even if it’s beer ) will not hurt anybody’s feelings either
    There are approximately 9 Snickers and Milky Way bars left, which I will make sure to put out.

I'm going to give MANICMECHANIC a call this weekend to set up a tech day, probably in January. Not ideal for camping or riding, but we'll try to make up for it with good food, beverages, and a semi-warm garage to wrench in. Cheryl, pictured above, is holding one of her delicious Whiskey Old Fashions which will certainly be available. And she's a helluva cook as well.

So at the end of the teardown yesterday I noticed this -

IMG_3742.jpg

I knew it was bent, bu I didn't realize it was fractured. I'm shopping right cylinder heads on Ebay and elsewhere. Any advice in that regard is appreciated.
    1971 R75/5 - 1983 R100RT

Bent fin

You can heat that and straighten it. A good welder can tag it back together and you can refinish it for a lot less than buying a used head and having it rebuilt.
    Boxerbruce

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Call me later in the day, after 4pm.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, WI Airmarshal
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

If a weld bead is run on the crack, the shrinkage of the weld as it cools will tend to pull the fin straight. Might be enough such that no further action is needed.