Thread: Cutting Rear Cowling

DennyPink

Cutting Rear Cowling

Oilheads;

Going to add a trunk on my 1995 1100RSL and need to install the "Auxiliary Support Luggage Carrier." Part# 46-54-7-662-047. The pre-cut rear cowling is no longer available. I need to cut the holes where the bracket comes out and attaches to the rack. Anyone ever make these cuts? How did you perform this surgery, and what instruments did you use? Thanks a bunch!
    DP

I did many years ago, can't even remember how I did it. I still have the bike. May go out and take some pics tomorrow and post 'em.

I did this on my ‘95 RSL. At one time there was a template available that could be taped to the cowling for marking the cut. The accuracy comes into play in trying to locate and size the cuts correctly so that the bodywork seals into the rubber grommets on the carrier.

My suggestion would be to find a sister bike that has the carrier installed and make yourself a paper template from that bike. When I did mine, I had neither template nor sister bike so masked the bodywork with painters tape and marked things as best I could estimate, then began removing plastic with a file until I had the cuts right. A lot of file/fit/file/fit but ended up perfect when done. Patience is your friend...

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Some - dunno if "all"? - of the cowlings had dimples on the inside - get in there with a mirror and a flashlight and look up at the underside. These mark the centers of the required holes. Be sure to drill them "straight up", and not perpendicular to the outside of the plastic.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Some - dunno if "all"? - of the cowlings had dimples on the inside - get in there with a mirror and a flashlight and look up at the underside. These mark the centers of the required holes. Be sure to drill them "straight up", and not perpendicular to the outside of the plastic.
    Does there exist a question that this forum can't answer?

"What is the meaning of life?" not included.

I have used a laser pointer on a tripod aimed thru the threaded hole and then placed the cover in place.
    This works well to do the starter cover battery post mod. I think it should work for you too.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    I have used a laser pointer on a tripod aimed thru the threaded hole and then placed the cover in place.
    This works well to do the starter cover battery post mod. I think it should work for you too.
    Well of course you did! Only you would think of that.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

DennyPink
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyPink View Post
    Oilheads;

Going to add a trunk on my 1995 1100RSL and need to install the "Auxiliary Support Luggage Carrier." Part# 46-54-7-662-047. The pre-cut rear cowling is no longer available. I need to cut the holes where the bracket comes out and attaches to the rack. Anyone ever make these cuts? How did you perform this surgery, and what instruments did you use? Thanks a bunch!
    DP
    And another oilhead era question. Anyone know if the RSL's were some kind of "special edition" model? I don't remember seeing any at Des Moines this year, and they seem relatively rare.
    DP

Quote Originally Posted by DennyPink View Post
    And another oilhead era question. Anyone know if the RSL's were some kind of "special edition" model? I don't remember seeing any at Des Moines this year, and they seem relatively rare.
    DP
    RSLs were produced in smaller numbers than the regular RS, and stopped being imported to the US market after someone started one in the garage to “warm it up”, then went back in the house and got preoccupied with other things. The fairing plastic overheated right behind the exhaust pipes, bike caught on fire, fire destroyed the house, and the bike owner sued BMW over the matter. For some time after that one could get primed or color-matched side panels and bracketry through the repair parts channel and a number of people did so, converting their RS bikes to RSL.

Great bikes, I still miss mine and wish I hadn’t sold it at 120k on the clock.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138