• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Talk about a wild ride.

wild ride

The first thing I do after I win the loto is buy one of those red Extras. Thanks for posting that Randy.
Does anyone recognize either of the pilots?

Rinty

Smoke trails...haven't seen those since my K bike.

They would be cool for a tailgater though. :D

The planes with the horizontally-opposed engines are the German-made Extras that Rinty mentioned, the ones with radial engines (you can tell the difference by the cowl shapes) are Russian-made Sukhois. I used to know guys who built radio-controlled models of these planes and they could do all the same tricks and then some that would be impossible for the real planes. Physically, doing it with the full-size plane is more demanding due to high G-loads that are constantly shifting plus sheer fear of violently splattering your ass, but mentally the R/C version is the bigger trick because you have to keep it all straight from an external perspective, and the R/C plane responds a LOT more quickly.
I actually don't find aerobatics to be the most inspiring form of aviation, but I nevertheless have a huge amount of respect for the pilots who do it with both full-size and R/C planes because I am quite certain that either version is well beyond my capabilities and I say this as a person who has flown both types. I impress the bejeezus out of myself as a pilot when I can simply keep the altitude and speed constant and the landing smooth.

Great video- thanks much for posting it!

Cool video...I had a Triumph that had those smoke trails, but they were only for the benefit of thise who weren't riding behind me to slip on the oil slicks following this old bikes...lol

Cool video. My uncle used to do that professionally and was a certified stunt pilot instructor up in seattle before he lost his wings to a medical downcheck. Took me up in an aerobatic plane and showed me some tricks :=) I was a fast learner :)

Cool video

Very cool Video. :thumb I can see myself holding a paper bag.... :nod :D

Same motor, different dimension.

RTRandy said:
Not sure what this has to do with motorcycles, but we both use a throttle and fly. Large download so be patient. Great video. Worth it for sure ! Have a nice ride[/URL]

It was certainly worth it, thanks.

I come from a family of pilots. There are distinct correlation's between the disciplines of motorcycling and flying; in that they both are as unforgiving of machine maintenance neglect for one, but on the other hand far more gratifying in their enjoyment of skills well developed.
Kinda like ... cooking. :eat :eat :eat :D

Cheers!

rinty said:
Does anyone recognize either of the pilots?

Rinty

The female in the Sukhois is Svetlana Kapanina, a former world champ. I'm not sure about the others. BTW, if you ever get the chance to see Patty Wagstaff or Sean Tucker fly, you won't easily forget it.

I think I'm developing a Jones for Svetlana. :heart :heart She's one cool lady!

By doing some search on the internet, I believe the guy in the red Extra is a Hungarian named Peter Besenyei evidentally a top notch champion who also created the famous Red Bull Air Race.

wild ride

Thanks for looking those pilots up, guys. I've lost track of what's going on in the aerobatic world since I sold my 201. In those days it was Hillard and Sousa, etc. My last trip to Oshkosh was in '91. We phoned Chicago flight service from Calgary and filed an instrument flight plan with them. They gave us a 15 minute window and we were the last plane in. It was right after the first Gulf War, and there was a lecture by one of the F - 117 pilots who had been one of the first to go into downtown Baghdad. He told me there was so much triple A, it looked like he was flying into a fireworks display, so he just lowered his seat and monitered the panel instead. I think Patty might have flown that year; the aerobatics were awesome. I remember there was a whole contingent of airhead riders camped on or near the airport.

Rinty

I see other things in common between the flying and motorcycling.

I notice the pilots use similar "head technique" to what we use. They look where they want to go and keep their eyes level with the horizon when they can. Cool stuff.

Any chick that can fly an airplane around like that gets a vote from me.

Back