Thread: Bump Stop for centerstand

Angry Bump Stop for centerstand

The bump stop for my R1150RS center stand has fallen off. Of course is had beat up the foot peg bracket a little. Does anyone have a good idea on securing this to the center stand w/ out it falling off again. I noticed that when lowering the center stand my boot rubs on it, probably the reason why it fell off in the first place. I know I could glue the new one, or perhaps drill drill a small hole in the bump stop and tap the center stand so a small bolt and washer will securre the part. I'm looking for any tried and true methods on securing the stop.

Just installed a headlight modulator at least cars might see me easier, and be irritated by the winking light.

Thanks,

That was a common problem on the early R1150RSes. But your id indicates that you have an '04 model. BMW changed the design so that there was a guard that prevented your boot from knocking the rubber bumper off.

Anyway, the best fix for the earlier design is to get a rubber bumper for a K75 sidestand, which will go completely over the metal tube on the centerstand. You'll have to shave the outside of the bumper a bit, because it will rub against the shift linkage. But it's a cheap fix that works great.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

My advise to you is to J-B weld it. You would be amazed how much is held together on my airhead by J-B weld. It works.
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerkuh
    My advise to you is to J-B weld it. You would be amazed how much is held together on my airhead by J-B weld. It works.
    It won't work here. I lost one bumper after I'd put it in with some of the yellow gorilla snot for holding window weather stripping. That lasted a bit longer, but I still managed to remove the bumper eventually.

Believe me the K75 sidestand bumper is the real cure. When it's on, you're boot will tend to press it into place instead of pushing it out of place.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Thanks guys, now I wonder if one of two of my BMW dealers will have the little thingy in stock.