Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Tail bag for tools on a 2007 R1200GS

  1. #1

    Tail bag for tools on a 2007 R1200GS

    I know this is subjective but I am looking for suggestions for a small tail bag that is going to primarily used a tool bag when I do not have my bags. I want to put a tire repair kit with a very small powered pump and tube repair items. Also, some simple tools for minor things. I do not always ride with my bags so I am looking for that small, simple bag that is not too obvious. Suggestions?
    '07 1200GS

    "I know how to make 4 horses pull a cart - I don't know how to make 1024 chickens do it." --Enrico Clementi

  2. #2
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Silver City, Montana
    Posts
    6,973
    I have been carrying the items you listed in the Nelson Rigg CL-1060-S Sport Tail Bag for five years on my FJR. It is well made, expands if a bit more space is required and is still in excellent shape.

    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...sport-tail-bag
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  3. #3
    Registered User Anyname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, NH
    Posts
    1,049
    I have a small U-shaped bag that used to fit under the rack and over the taillight on my 2005 R1200GS. It's not very big, but it fits otherwise unused space. I think it may have come from Tour-a-Tech. I could provide a photo if you are curious.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    82

    Tailbag

    You didn't mention if you are looking for hard or soft. But, you might look at Wolfman. Been around and good quality with different sizes.

    https://wolfmanluggage.com/collectio.../peak-tail-bag

  5. #5
    Registered User Moto316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    91
    I use a combination. I have an aluminum tool tube by GT Moto, that stays on the bike with or without the bags. I put a small tool roll, some tape and a rag in there. A quick check on the web and I don't think they are in business anymore? This is something similar but made out of ABS. http://www.thetooltube.com/ToolTube.html

    I also use a small pillion/tail bag from Cortech. I put my compressor and tire patch kit in there along with anything else I might need on the ride. This is easily removed/stolen by the bad guys, if that is an issue where you ride? https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...er-20-tail-bag

    IMG_3414.jpg

    IMG_3417.jpg

    Sorry, I can't get the pictures to rotate, Not sure what I'm doing wrong?

  6. #6
    Watch This!!! junkjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    5,517
    Check out www.agrisupply.com Part #s 67670 and 80881 I have four of these and I think they are the same but less expensive.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

  7. #7
    The tube is an idea I never thought of. Some places I would go are not an issue but others.... I live north of atlanta so some good...some bad. Will the tube hold one of the small pumps?


    Quote Originally Posted by Moto316 View Post
    I use a combination. I have an aluminum tool tube by GT Moto, that stays on the bike with or without the bags. I put a small tool roll, some tape and a rag in there. A quick check on the web and I don't think they are in business anymore? This is something similar but made out of ABS. http://www.thetooltube.com/ToolTube.html

    I also use a small pillion/tail bag from Cortech. I put my compressor and tire patch kit in there along with anything else I might need on the ride. This is easily removed/stolen by the bad guys, if that is an issue where you ride? https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...er-20-tail-bag

    IMG_3414.jpg

    IMG_3417.jpg

    Sorry, I can't get the pictures to rotate, Not sure what I'm doing wrong?
    '07 1200GS

    "I know how to make 4 horses pull a cart - I don't know how to make 1024 chickens do it." --Enrico Clementi

  8. #8
    What do you carry in the bag? I am tired of CO2 and want to have a pump to make that part of the job easier. As I get older, I am less enchanted with the CO2 and liking the less effort. Small set of tools as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    I have a small U-shaped bag that used to fit under the rack and over the taillight on my 2005 R1200GS. It's not very big, but it fits otherwise unused space. I think it may have come from Tour-a-Tech. I could provide a photo if you are curious.
    '07 1200GS

    "I know how to make 4 horses pull a cart - I don't know how to make 1024 chickens do it." --Enrico Clementi

  9. #9
    Registered User Moto316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by duaneperry View Post
    The tube is an idea I never thought of. Some places I would go are not an issue but others.... I live north of atlanta so some good...some bad. Will the tube hold one of the small pumps?
    That would depend on what pump you have? Mine does not fit. I use the Aerostich Mini and it is 3-1/2" diameter the tool tubes are about 3-1/4" inside diameter.

  10. #10
    Registered User Moto316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by duaneperry View Post
    What do you carry in the bag? I am tired of CO2 and want to have a pump to make that part of the job easier. As I get older, I am less enchanted with the CO2 and liking the less effort. Small set of tools as well.
    I had one of those also, pretty worthless. About all that fit in it was a pack of gum. I threw it away and bought the tool tube, I put mine in the same space on the back of the bike.

  11. #11
    Registered User Anyname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, NH
    Posts
    1,049
    I think that most of the time I carried a pair of light duty rain pants. I've never tried to put tire repair kit in it, but I would expect that one of smaller pumps and a plug kit would fit. A Best Rest pump would be too big. I have a GT Motors aluminum tube as well. I don't think that they are still available. I kept a few longer tools in mine but found that the tube was too small in diameter for a pump and many other tools. Another inch in diameter would have made all the difference. Neither the pack or the tube have found a home on my R1200R. I use a water proof, hard plastic case mounted on the tail rack for smallish stuff and have about five small soft canvas bags stuffed in every nook and cranny under the seat for tools, plugs kits etc. Whenever I need one of these items I get to search through most of them before I find what I need.

    I carry CO2 cartridges (five of the largest size I could find) on the bike. That's based on the theory that if I am at least theoretically prepared I won't get a flat. i find space in the saddle bags or large tail case for the best rest pump if I am going someplace where a flat would really be an inconvenience.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Similar Threads

  1. 2007 K1200GT tail light bulbs
    By cdavis in forum Wedge K-bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-09-2017, 04:04 PM
  2. '09 R1200GS question - tail light
    By khathaway in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-02-2014, 10:18 PM
  3. R1200GS Tail light question
    By RogerA in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 12:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •