• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2007 R1200GS Crush Washer

Moto316

I changed my oil recently and I noticed a small drop on the floor after a few rides. Upon inspection it looks like the crush washer is the culprit. I torqued the bolt as per the specs when I changed the oil. I gave the bolt an extra eighth turn but it is still dripping a little after yesterdays ride. So, it's time to drop the oil and change the washer.

Not to start an oil thread and get permanently expelled from the forum, my question is; is it safe to clean my drain pan real well and reuse the oil? Would I need to filter it somehow before putting it back in the bike? Or should I just not be a cheap sob and spend the $100 and buy new oil? The oil only has a couple hundred miles on it.

Thanks

If you can keep it clean, I don't see a problem- I have done it. Interior of the funnel is a place to check for dirt. A paint strainer or a pair of nylons can be used for a filter.
OM

Personally: I wouldn't worry about a little drip.
Ever look under an old Harley?
Carry some oil with you.

Joe

Clean the drain pan well with soap and water. Rinse well. Dry. Drain the oil. Install the new crush washer. Put the oil back in through a thoroughly cleaned funnel, as you would with new oil.

I use a paint filter in the funnel and I usually use one of the disposable aluminum turkey roster pans from the dollar store as a drain pan so spend a dollar have a new drain pan

Ease the drain plug out, plug the hole with your finger, slide a new washer on and put the plug back in. Might only lose a half cup.

Can one use the other side of a crush washer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly, on the Globeriders DVD for the F800GS, Helge says you can rejuvenate them by baking in an oven. On my NV 3500 it took some research to figure which side went towards the oil pan.
The crush washer seems to be a bit of a new phenomenon. When they were plastic, we would use them until they were ragged :dunno
OM

Suspicious

Might be a good idea to check the pan fitting for cracks and not assume it's the crush washer which is pretty fail proof. I know BMW says replace every time but I have used them over and over again with never a leak. Maybe someone over torqued the drain bolt and cracked or slightly stripped the fitting. Aluminum pan is a weak and easily damaged by this type of action.

Back