• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking to purchase the right bike

Hello all and thank you for your feedback

I have been a Harley guy for the last 20 years. I currently have a Roadking with a big motor and really love it. If I by a BMW I will still keep my Harley, there is really nothing like it. I think I want a KT 1600 but I have read about many mechanical/electrical problems. I want a bike that I can ride 500 miles a day when ona extended road trips. I want a bike that is extremely reliable. I want a bike that is comfortable for a single rider as well as a passenger that has plenty of storage space for extended trips. There you have it what model and why?

I've been riding for 44 years, spent 30 years on Harleys, FXR, Electra Glide, and sometimes my wife's Sportster. Switched to a '16 R1200RT 2 years ago, LOVE IT!! I also loved my Harleys, but got tired of inadequate rear suspension, overly heavy, stone-age handling, and lack of power.

They sure do sit nicely, though.

Also, every other old fat guy I see on the road is on one.

The RT took some accessorizing to become truly comfortable for me, and it's way tall. Takes getting used to, but I don't foresee returning to Harley. All it took was one test ride.

Think about it.

If 2-up is only going to be an occasional thing then I would look hard at the later model R1200RT. I say that having done very little 2-up and from what others have said. It's not bad, but once you start addressing 2-up capability best the 'sport' side of sport tourer gets a little blunted as to relevance. 604lbs wet, very comfortable, very sporting for riding hard thru the canyons, and can slug along at 80 on the interstates and be a total dream, and with a rather stellar reliability index even though it's tainted by its association w/ BMW's failed final drive legacy which has been resolved since at least 2013. It's a true 'sport tourer' as it is very comfortable and competent in both roles. This, of course, is my opinion! I did a 10K mile trip x-country US and into Canada right after I bought my '16 and loved every second of it. That is so good at both roles is what separates it from the big heavies that call themselves sport tourers IMO. I have almost 37K on my RT now and it's all I need. Plus, it hauled me out of Paradise, California during the current conflagration right on thru 25 seconds of fire blowing across the road! So it's emergency evacuation proven as well :eek:)

If it were me and I had a strong need for a potent 2-up machine I can't see how you go wrong w/ the new Gold Wing.

Back